West Bay Report

OldTownYakBoi

West Bay Report

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Where: Upper West Bay
When : 08/03
Time : 5:30 - 10 Am

Sunday night I couldn’t take it anymore, I was itchin to get back out and fish. I had been waiting bc the water has been so dirty since the Hurricanes pushed so much water into the bay. Nonetheless, I loaded everything up the truck for an early morning trip.

I arrived at the launch right at 5:30 am. Tide was still extremely low, but was forecasted to rise about a foot by 10am. The wind was coming out of the Northwest at 10 MPH as the moonlight shimmered across the surface of the water. Once I got settled and quiet I could hear fish slurping bait everywhere. Right at the launch I spot a school of Reds pooled up crushing bait in less than 1’ of water. However, I did not realize it was that shallow at the time (more on that later). As I make my first cast with the Vudu Shad I’m optimistic, envisioning a limit of reds in my bag by sunrise... I mentioned the water was less than a foot, but Found this out the hard way, getting instantly hung up. Unfortunately, in attempt to shake my hook free I spooked the school. I just shake it off, re-tie and launch the boat.

I make a long drift to the back of the marsh as the sun rises aided by the NW wind and see redfish hammering bait everywhere I look. On the drift I threw a DOA shrimp, and some paddle tails but couldn’t get any interest. As the sun continued rising I got my first glimpse at the water and it was noticeably more stained than usual;I’d say about 2-3in of visibility.

I proceeded to paddle around for another few hours targeting drains and points with no luck. I did manage one hookup on what felt like a flounder but lost it; fish was at an inlet with good water movement. By 10 Am the sun started kicking so I paddled back to the launch.

Observations: Since the Hurricane tide we got from Hannah the water has remained extremely stirred just about everywhere I’ve been in the bay. Couple that with these constant southwest winds and it has been a recipe for some tough fishing the last few weeks.

I’m praying for a south east wind, but not seeing reprieve anytime soon.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: West Bay Report

Post by Dandydon »

Welcome to TKF and thanks for that thoughtful fishing report. You had a tough outing, but your fishing info and sage observations are interesting and useful.

Can't wait to see you report a big-catch "Barber Shop" trip. And I also keep wondering why the baywaters remain stained despite light winds and little rain.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report and info. I love fishing the bay area anywhere. We in Texas and here in Houston are fortunate to have a bay so close. Thanks again! :clap:
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Welcome to TKF and thanks for that thoughtful fishing report. You had a tough outing, but your fishing info and sage observations are interesting and useful.

Can't wait to see you report a big-catch "Barber Shop" trip. And I also keep wondering why the baywaters remain stained despite light winds and little rain.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome! Those barber shop days sure are what keep you coming back haha., I actually had one the evening before the hurricane made landfall. Landed my PB Redfish after fishing about 30 minutes. After I posted the report I checked the wind and it’s forecasting South East winds the next week or so thank the lord. However, this evening the surf was still stirred up. I’d say if the current conditions remain we will see green water to the beach by Sunday morning.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

kickingback wrote:Great report and info. I love fishing the bay area anywhere. We in Texas and here in Houston are fortunate to have a bay so close. Thanks again! :clap:
We are extremely blessed, I cannot imagine being landlocked in somewhere like Nebraska. No problem!
impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:....And I also keep wondering why the baywaters remain stained despite light winds and little rain.
My theory on that is all the noobs with their brandy new skinny boats, stirring up the bottom. And I'm only half kidding.

I'm gobsmacked at the number of boats we're seeing recently. A lot of them blasting across water that's really too shallow to blast across safely.

I'll bet the replacement prop and lower unit repair businesses are booming...

One more reason to fish out of a kayak... I can fish water that even they wouldn't try. Well, most of them anyway. Some try it. And Sea Tow seems to be doing quite well, too.