Galveston Island Surf; Birds,Bait,&Specks

OldTownYakBoi

Galveston Island Surf; Birds,Bait,&Specks

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Where: Galveston Island Surf
When : 08/18/20
Clarity: 1 ft (Sandy Green Water)

I Only had a small window to fish this morning, but conditions were too good not to get a quickie in. The last few days the surf has been in a transition phase from dirty brown water, to sandy green. Yesterday we had a strong front that brought NW winds that really accelerated in the clean up process.

Upon arrival there were birds everywhere, both seagulls and pelicans dive-bombing. As I waded into the first gut I could see it was shrimp they were feeding on. I threw a soft plastic a few casts with no interest before I decided to go with the flow; I put on a clear D.O.A shrimp and started getting hits on the first cast. I lost a few fish early on but ended up catching 3 healthy 15 in. Specks that were all released unharmed. The bite immediately shut down as the tide went slack around 8 am. Will likely be out tomorrow for another session! Hopefully we trade the sandy green water for that sweet trout green. Sorry, no pics of the fish today.

Observations: The shrimp being fed on were white shrimp around 3 inches. The trout were in close early, but as soon as the sun came up they evacuated to deeper water in the second bar and beyond.

Tips: I want to give some tips that I think are key to a positive surf fishing experience. These are my opinion based off my own experience in the surf.
1. Tides
-Try to fish with the tides. I don’t necessarily have a preference on incoming vs outcoming, as long as there is movement. Look for 4 tide days if possible.
2. Water Clarity
- At least 6in of visibility is a must
3. Wave action
- I prefer slight wave action (1ft-2ft) over a glassy conditions. Trout will utilize the waves to maximize efficiency and minimize energy output when hunting
4.Bring a chair,cooler,and towel
-Bring a chair so that in the lull times (Like when the tide goes slack) you can relax and just enjoy nature. I take a stringer, but a cooler with ice as well so that I don’t have to worry about keeping the fish alive. Not to mention the sharks have been thick
Bonus. Slow down
All my fish were caught early in the first gut. There were at least 3 other waders already at the second bar when I arrived and none were catching. I spoke w/ one of them who was using live bait that caught nothing but hardhead;He just rushed out to the second bar. Take your time and don’t make your mind up just bc that’s where you caught them last time.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by OldTownYakBoi on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwatson71

Re: Galveston Island Surf; Birds,Bait,&Specks

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for the info and your surf fishing tips would pretty much mirror mine. You had one on there that I frequently forget: Take your time and don’t make your mind up just bc that’s where you caught them last time.

I may actually be in the surf tomorrow morning as well. A friend of mine from Dallas is delivering a couple of chairs he made for me (not everyone from Dallas is bad) and I think I am going to try to convince him into a shallow surf wade.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote:Thanks for the info and your surf fishing tips would pretty much mirror mine. You had one on there that I frequently forget: Take your time and don’t make your mind up just bc that’s where you caught them last time.

I may actually be in the surf tomorrow morning as well. A friend of mine from Dallas is delivering a couple of chairs he made for me (not everyone from Dallas is bad) and I think I am going to try to convince him into a shallow surf wade.
No problem! I’ve made the mistake before, that’s why I’m putting it haha. I didn’t see any big boys, maybe they’re saving their appetite for tomorrow Image. Has he waded the surf before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

OTYB, thanks for the public service of offering up a good SURF report. Your level of detail is magnificent. Surf reports are precious because the Trout-green water usually lasts only a day or two before the next brown surf water reappears.

The useful surf reports on this and other sites have been few and far between. Seems like the locals prefer to keep that action a secret.... Wish I could hit it tomorrow with co-captain Watson, but I must be home for a legal meeting. Boo hoo. I'll be free next week.

Please call me if the BIRDS are working! Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:OTYB, thanks for the public service of offering up a good SURF report. Your level of detail is magnificent. Surf reports are precious because the Trout-green water usually lasts only a day or two before the next brown surf water reappears.

The useful surf reports on this and other sites have been few and far between. Seems like the locals prefer to keep that action a secret.... Wish I could hit it tomorrow with co-captain Watson, but I must be home for a legal meeting. Boo hoo. I'll be free next week.

Please call me if the BIRDS are working! Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
No problem DD. You’re certainly right about the water only beings good most times for a few days. Unfortunately this summer those good days have been few and far between. Being a local I understand, bc as soon as the media broadcasts (blue water) in Galveston you end up with half the city of Houston there! The best thing an individual can do if driving to beachfront is out of the question is to consistently check the cams and the wind forecast every few days (Look for light winds 5-10 S to SE ideally but I’ve fished NE winds at 15+ with some success.I think the tips and reports are helpful, but in no way will it “hurt” the locals. Surf fishing is simple, yet complex at the same time, especially regarding timing conditions.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the great tips OTYB. Maybe one day I will feel the tug of a surf runner.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:Thanks for the great tips OTYB. Maybe one day I will feel the tug of a surf runner.
NP shoffer! I sound like a broken record but I highly recommend it. Fished 7-9 with 1 keep spec at 16 and 3 more that were around 12-14 in. The lady fish were thick out there, and I mean thick. I must have caught 10-15 of them. All fish caught on clear DOA shrimp. Water visibility was 2ft but unfortunately no wave action Image. I think that’s why there was nothing except small guys. I never do well without some waves. I did see a 3-4’ spinner shark breach the water a barrel roll 3 times eating something before crashing back down.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Tftr. That’s thanks for the report. Love the surf. Love fishing.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

OldTownYakBoi wrote:Image

Where: Galveston Island Surf
When : 08/18/20
Clarity: 1 ft (Sandy Green Water)

I Only had a small window to fish this morning, but conditions were too good not to get a quickie in. The last few days the surf has been in a transition phase from dirty brown water, to sandy green. Yesterday we had a strong front that brought NW winds that really accelerated in the clean up process.

Upon arrival there were birds everywhere, both seagulls and pelicans dive-bombing. As I waded into the first gut I could see it was shrimp they were feeding on. I threw a soft plastic a few casts with no interest before I decided to go with the flow; I put on a clear D.O.A shrimp and started getting hits on the first cast. I lost a few fish early on but ended up catching 3 healthy 15 in. Specks that were all released unharmed. The bite immediately shut down as the tide went slack around 8 am. Will likely be out tomorrow for another session! Hopefully we trade the sandy green water for that sweet trout green. Sorry, no pics of the fish today.

Observations: The shrimp being fed on were white shrimp around 3 inches. The trout were in close early, but as soon as the sun came up they evacuated to deeper water in the second bar and beyond.

Tips: I want to give some tips that I think are key to a positive surf fishing experience. These are my opinion based off my own experience in the surf.
1. Tides
-Try to fish with the tides. I don’t necessarily have a preference on incoming vs outcoming, as long as there is movement. Look for 4 tide days if possible.
2. Water Clarity
- At least 6in of visibility is a must
3. Wave action
- I prefer slight wave action (1ft-2ft) over a glassy conditions. Trout will utilize the waves to maximize efficiency and minimize energy output when hunting
4.Bring a chair,cooler,and towel
-Bring a chair so that in the lull times (Like when the tide goes slack) you can relax and just enjoy nature. I take a stringer, but a cooler with ice as well so that I don’t have to worry about keeping the fish alive. Not to mention the sharks have been thick
Bonus. Slow down
All my fish were caught early in the first gut. There were at least 3 other waders already at the second bar when I arrived and none were catching. I spoke w/ one of them who was using live bait that caught nothing but hardhead;He just rushed out to the second bar. Take your time and don’t make your mind up just bc that’s where you caught them last time.

I need to update this report. I took about an hour and a half break before getting back out in the water. I walked up and down the beach on the 2nd and 3rd be and was catching trout about 1 every hour with various other catches. I caught Trout, lady fish, a blacktip that turned and manged to bite me, pompano, and the biggest whiting I’ve seen in my life, around 16 inches and FAT. The most exciting part of the day was around 130 PM I was wading the 3rd bar on the outgoing when I hooked up on the best fish the day, he was zooming back and fourth pulling drag. I managed to get him about rods tip length from me when a 4ft+ blacktip shark came and smashed him right in front of my face. I was left with a half alive bleeding trout still hooked on my mirrolure. I thought the safest thing to do was to let some line out and swim back to shore instead of try to un hook a bloody fish with an apex predator lurking. That was hands down the biggest shark I’ve seen all summer and even a few years in the surf. Too bad I didn’t have a go pro camera!