Swan Lake 8/20

BirdFoot17

Swan Lake 8/20

Post by BirdFoot17 »

Took the kaku voodoo to Swan Lake yesterday morning. On the way to the launch saw some weather out in the gulf which was a little concerning. But the weather man said it shouldn't make landfall.

Drove past the Swan Lake boat ramp and back towards the shore launch. Launched at 6:15 with the light show from the storm in the background.
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.15.46 AM.png
Headed straight to the opposite shoreline towards the smaller lakes. Initially throwing a pink she dog parallel to the shoreline but only getting short strikes. Found an old black/chart she-pup in one of my tackle boxes. Immediately started getting blown up and soon after landed a 20" & 26" red. I guess they wanted the smaller profile lure. Caught them between the shell and shoreline before the main cut going to the small lakes.

Pushing back into the small lakes found fish pushing bait against the shoreline, got one to take but got off. The hooks were bent on the top water from the first two fish.
IMG_8122.jpg
Tied on the pink she dog and started working the channel between the two small lakes. Picked up a 15" trout. Throwing at action in the grass I landed a rat on a down south lure texas roach.

Working further into the back lake the reds were up in the grass so switched to Beastie Buggs Blue Crab color. Picked up a couple rats. Moved into the grass patch towards the middle of the lake and found a small school. Pulled a 22" redfish.

On the way out of the marsh in the left channel I picked up another trout, this one 16". Ended up keeping it along with the 22" red.
IMG_5307.jpg
Got off the water at 10:30a.

Tide was incoming. Water was muddy no visibility. Wind was 0-8 mph.
Fished with darker lures other than the pink she dog.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Swan Lake 8/20

Post by Neumie »

Great report! The She Dog is my second favorite topwater behind the SS Jr. Would have been a solid haul had you kept the other fish.
BirdFoot17

Post by BirdFoot17 »

Neumie wrote:Great report! The She Dog is my second favorite topwater behind the SS Jr. Would have been a solid haul had you kept the other fish.
Thanks bro, she pup was the magic that day. I find that they are louder than the SS but I like both.

Yeah I try to only take what I need.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

BirdFoot17 wrote:
Neumie wrote:Great report! The She Dog is my second favorite topwater behind the SS Jr. Would have been a solid haul had you kept the other fish.
Thanks bro, she pup was the magic that day. I find that they are louder than the SS but I like both.

Yeah I try to only take what I need.
I agree, it is louder. Down in the Rockport area where I fish the SS Jr. is what works 90-95% of the time. When they want something more obnoxious or I'm fishing dirty or choppy waters I tie on a She Pup (momentary loss of thought, I use She Pups instead of She Dogs).
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

Nice job brother! I went Thursday was well but closer to San Bernard and had similar results minus the trout. The top water bite was there and I landed to slot reds with the first 20 minutes near some shell throwing the SS jr. in bone. Pushed further back and picked up a few smaller ones just under slot on DSL super X and chicken of the chain with a bonus 18" flounder.

The topwater bite is on fire and I just recently started throwing top as I've never really had confidence in it before. Funny how you catch a few on a certain bait and it immediately give you confidence.
BirdFoot17

Post by BirdFoot17 »

Bradw693 wrote:Nice job brother! I went Thursday was well but closer to San Bernard and had similar results minus the trout. The top water bite was there and I landed to slot reds with the first 20 minutes near some shell throwing the SS jr. in bone. Pushed further back and picked up a few smaller ones just under slot on DSL super X and chicken of the chain with a bonus 18" flounder.

The topwater bite is on fire and I just recently started throwing top as I've never really had confidence in it before. Funny how you catch a few on a certain bait and it immediately give you confidence.
Thanks bro. I went back on Sunday and the bite was completely different. No topwater bite. Schools back in the grass.
Once you think you've figured it out, they switch it up on you.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk