West Bay Graveyard

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: West Bay Graveyard

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for your support, Capt. Shoffer. I have been lucky in my life to stumble into great hobbies (saltwater fishing, Kung Fu, disc golf, etc.) and great friends like Shoffer. The secret is to dive in and be willing to look stupid while learning the trade.

About 15 years ago I met Shoffer (who was mostly a freshwater fisherman) and taught him a lot about fishing the salty brine. He learned fast (yes, we lawyers are quick learners) and about 5 years ago he became my saltwater teacher. We have shared 15 years' worth of incredible limit-out trips.

That's how life works, men. You pass the torch to the young guns and hope in time they'll pay it all forward. It's the Cycle of Fishing and Life. This TKF board is a vehicle to pass on our hard-earned fishing knowledge.

I'm just glad I didn't buy TKF because then I'd have to watch and censor my own fucking posts, ha ha! Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

yeah, something's wrong when you have to ban yourself
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

The only member I ever dogged was Shoffer's buddy Cuervo Jones, ha ha.
What a dick.

Wait. I forgot about Saltykat's buddy Chicken. The only certified engineer I ever met who had only one oar in the water. I love most everybody else.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

OldTownYakBoi wrote: ....
I searched everywhere for fish signs......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They put out "fish signs" now? I bet they don't work! I once sat a "deer crossing" sign and not once saw a deer crossing the whole day I was there! Now when I drove off about 2 miles down the road a deer crossed in front of me! They need to MOVE THEIR DAMN SIGNS!!!! :lol:

I had to add that...sorry. Good report and info! Thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The beauty of fish signs is that not everybody can read them until they've paid their dues on the water - the wake bulge of a big fish, a jumping shrimp, a feeding slash or the skipping 2" minnow that sometimes precedes it or gets away, the tighter patch of wind ripples formed by finger mullet.

You always hear people joking about - yeah, there was a guy with a fly rod casting to mullet - which are much easier to see than actual fish signs - you learn to filter them out.

If you read my Estes after Beta report, our first morning arriving with anticipation at the Trout Bayou cut, bait was thumping our hulls and rudders so that we could feel it through our feet.
Life on the flats is a beautiful thing, and a dearth of it seems like a graveyard.

2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Oldtownyakboi's op sounds like my normal sat. I feel your pain. Sometimes they just won't bite!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

or they're someplace else - is this thing on?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Where's our trusty grinder Yak Boi?

I'm so "fish confused" now that I need a good fishing report with GPS coordinates and lure tips! Just call me "Potlicker."

Yes, where are those legal gamefish? Image

2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: West Bay Graveyard

Ron Mc wrote:or they're someplace else - is this thing on?
Ha!

2 Weight Willie

Dandydon wrote:Where's our trusty grinder Yak Boi?

I'm so "fish confused" now that I need a good fishing report with GPS coordinates and lure tips! Just call me "Potlicker."

Wow. That's something I would do.

OldTownYakBoi

West Bay Graveyard

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Where's our trusty grinder Yak Boi?

Tried again this morning, 5 hour grind for one really good bite, brief hookup but lost it, on a Corky. Today was a battle against the PB’s burning shorelines. It seemed like I couldn’t escape em. There was an ungodly amount of boat traffic for a Monday in December!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Used to be pretty safe from the fleet of power boats on a Monday in December. Likely more Covid craziness. Almost went today, but I’m pretty sure it will be tomorrow, lol. Winds look to be tame in the afternoon, my window of time should that work out. I really just want to make some vitamin D and get a tug or two.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for your hard-earned info, Yak Boi. If you can't catch fish we're all screwed, hello. Lately you're the only game in town. Keep at it, and please find some decent fish for us armchair Potlickers!

Two-weight, you talking about my Disc golf addiction? I started playing about 5 years ago, am now highly ranked for competitive play in my over-50 age group. I play 5 times a week and can sidearm my drivers over 400 ft. It's fun. I can play it when it's too windy for fishing.

2 Weight Willie

Dandydon wrote:Thanks for your hard-earned info, Yak Boi. If you can't catch fish we're all screwed, hello. Lately you're the only game in town. Keep at it, and please find some decent fish for us armchair Potlickers!

Two-weight, you talking about my Disc golf addiction? I started playing about 5 years ago, am now highly ranked for competitive play in my over-50 age group. I play 5 times a week and can sidearm my drivers over 400 ft. It's fun. I can play it when it's too windy for fishing.

That's funny because I am actually starting disk golf. Seems really fun!

2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: West Bay Graveyard

2 Weight Willie wrote:
Dandydon wrote:Thanks for your hard-earned info, Yak Boi. If you can't catch fish we're all screwed, hello. Lately you're the only game in town. Keep at it, and please find some decent fish for us armchair Potlickers!

That's funny because I am actually starting disk golf. Seems really fun!

No to original question I didn't intend those first two comments on disk golf. But like you said great to play when it's to windy and I am hooked!

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Np DD, yesterday was more promising with pelicans and seagulls diving everywhere. I was in gin clear water and every time they’d dive I’d look and see nothing except bottom... Fast forward, as I get out of the kayak at the launch I see thousands of glass minnows disperse from the grass. This must’ve been what the birds were feeding on, fish too I’m sure. Might’ve been why my Corky didn’t get more love. Fishing is certainly a puzzle, and I enjoy the chase of finding the right piece to fit. Skunks suck, but you’ve got to put in the time if you want those great days; Mine is coming, just have to keep casting. Tight lines

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the birds are after the glass minnows that get scattered to the surface by the gamefish.

My experience fishing glass minnows, the trout and reds are on the edges of the glass minnow balls. They sip them without spending much energy to chase them, because they don't gain a lot by eating them.
If you can imitate the glass minnows with the right small lures, you can catch fish. I have UL just for this.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

YakMack wrote:
Thus, anyone have any good luck around Galveston yesterday with the 3 ft water movement?
I'm late to the party, but I wade fished SWP south flats in the 25 mph winds on the 3rd from 6:30 to 10. Watched the water running out good over the few hours with the beach line getting lower and lower.

Not a single flounder was caught by anyone I spoke to.
I got a few bites with shrimp tipped gulp (yes I just said that), but no fish. Probably small or very short striking flounder (my target).

My fingers were cold and conditions were brutal, but it was actually a very fun adventure. I don't recommend a kayak on those days AT ALL lol.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:the birds are after the glass minnows that get scattered to the surface by the gamefish.

My experience fishing glass minnows, the trout and reds are on the edges of the glass minnow balls. They sip them without spending much energy to chase them, because they don't gain a lot by eating them.
If you can imitate the glass minnows with the right small lures, you can catch fish. I have UL just for this.
Makes sense, tough to imitate those litttle guys. The minnows were around 1”. I thought most of the small bait would be gone by now, but they were stacked in grass.

I’m sure the gamefish were around somewhere, it was tough to find stained water. I did find some in a tiny cove but a PB barreled in it with three guys and jumped out on the shoreline. Saw a few reds feeding in there but were just under slot. It’s pretty funny that all summer I’m on the beach looking for clean surf water and here I am in the winter praying for a dirty streak haha.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

1/16th oz sinking Pins minnow (Yo Zuri) would be my choice, shape, action, presentation, but there's no way to cast it without UL.
2" swim shad in blend colors will sometimes get a bite, and you can cast them better in a tandem rig.

Also a good time for a fly rod with tiny clausers
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Chubs wrote:
YakMack wrote:
Thus, anyone have any good luck around Galveston yesterday with the 3 ft water movement?
I'm late to the party, but I wade fished SWP south flats in the 25 mph winds on the 3rd from 6:30 to 10. Watched the water running out good over the few hours with the beach line getting lower and lower.

Not a single flounder was caught by I spoke to.
I got a few bites with shrimp tipped gulp (yes I just said that), but no fish. Probably small or very short striking flounder (my target).

My fingers were cold and conditions were brutal, but it was actually a very fun adventure. I don't recommend a kayak on those days AT ALL lol.
Oof that’s rough, thanks for the report. I’m thinking San Luis Pass will be good this time of year, just have to pick your days.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:1/16th oz sinking Pins minnow (Yo Zuri) would be my choice, shape, action, presentation, but there's no way to cast it without UL.
2" swim shad in blend colors will sometimes get a bite, and you can cast them better in a tandem rig.

Also a good time for a fly rod with tiny clausers
What UL rod do you like? Fly rod would be great

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

If SLP wasn't as long of a drive I'd be down there in a heartbeat.

Thing is I do some wading them go back to work (pack a change of clothes).

Also, I heard captain Scott Null say when fish are feeding on tiny bait, use a clear lure with glitter. The glitter looks like a school of small bait. No idea if it works, not had a chance to try. I'd think that plus UL like Ron says might be golden.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

OldTownYakBoi wrote:[...
What UL rod do you like? Fly rod would be great
It's the Japanese who blazed the trail on salty UL. They build long UL Rockfish rods with basically fly rod tapers - soft tip, fast mid, fish-turning butt section.
You could build one yourself on a 3-wt fly rod blank.

Have fished two for a dozen years, 7'6 and 7'9", the shorter XUL, from when my daughters were growing up for our pier fishing ritual.
After I discovered they'd catch big trout, added two longer UL, 8' and 8'3".
They also don't market UL Rockfish rods in the US.

The best all-round for price is Korean, made by NS Black Hole, Dark Horse UL Rockfish - it will fish 10-lb braid (while protecting 3-lb), 1/32-oz jigs, and cast up to 1/4 oz.
I bought it from this ebay vendor, and he has stock again
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING- ... 2310405589
S-802L-UL-ST
It's the solid tip that protects the lightest line and throws the tiniest lures.
The tubular tip 8'3" is probably also a great choice - it will throw 1/16 to 3/8 oz.
ImageDon't let the economy price distract you, it's simply unsanded blank and low finish grade, but has Fuji KLAG guides.
Black Hole offshore rods are imported, and IRT sells them in matched outfits with their $600+ benchmade spinning reels.
This is last March when the glass minnows were larger, and I could throw the longer 3/16th oz Pins minnow

I'll add one US rod that comes close is Dobyns Ultra Finesse - made the same way with solid tip - 7' 1-pc, 1/16 to 5/16 oz.
OOS most places, but a couple on ebay.
What you gain with longer rods is cast distance, especially with light lures.
The other thing you gain with longer rods is more stiffness in the rod butt, more fish leverage, and the ability to throw heavier lures and rigs without changing the tip and light lure end.