Have you ever heard . . .

YakRunabout

Have you ever heard . . .

Post by YakRunabout »

Have you ever heard – “You’re crazy” or perhaps in a question form – “Are you crazy?” allowing you to assess your own mental state? This is usually prefaced by your telling someone of your plans to get up at midnight, hit the water at 2AM then fish the night and through the morning bite, or perhaps go out some afternoon into rainy, windy, cold conditions to fish into the night? My answer is the simple – “No, I am just a fisherman.”

Yesterday was an example of the latter case, driving through Houston on the way to Galveston through the drizzly, rainy, windy and cold conditions. The forecast was for the rain and the winds to die down in the afternoon, with winds more from the east. They were right about the rain, but the winds stayed in the 15-20mph range until well past sunset. We launched in West bay a bit after 3PM for some afternoon fishing, followed by fishing in the lights. Air temp in the low 50’s, water at 55, winds from the north to northeast. Launched a bit after low tide and the water was very low!! A big incoming prediction should bring in plenty of water and water movement, tho the northern component of the continuing strong winds may keep the water low.

Early on I had some hits from likely flounder, the wind and waves hampered line management and so all I felt was some weight on the line for a time. Mike later anchored in the area and so from a more stable platform was able to feel the initial hit, wait and set the hook, bringing in a small flounder.
Generally, fishing was slow, though I did pick up a few small trout later in the afternoon.

Later, in the lights, the night got off to a promising start when I caught a couple of trout early on, tho they were not quite keeper size. In the canals, the water was clear. At some of the lights you could clearly see the filaments, burning green. We saw very little bait fish, no circles of fish, just a few darting about at some of the lights. Not too many large fish either, swimming through on the hunt, tho Mike did see several large reds in one area, but no takers.

The surface of the water varied from being flat and smooth, to stirred up, depending on the wind access. The stirred up areas had more action. We went through a long stretch of calm water, with no action, but still an occasional splash from a large red on the attack.

Finally, we got to an area with some stirred up water. While I was releasing a small red from the line, Mike hooked into a big red, putting up a battle. He landed a nice 27” red. A short time later I pulled in a 24” red. A bit later, we returned the area where Mike had seen the group of reds – I managed to find a 26” red.
24"
24"
26"
26"
A bit later in some more exposed lights where there was current and wind I lured in a 20” and a 22” red.
20.5"
20.5"
All my reds were on either a DSL 3.5” burner shad or a 5” Gulp jerk shad. Mike and I both tried some small lures, but there was no interest in those.

A nice way to end a day that began with some rough conditions. I am not crazy, I just like to feel the pull of those big redfish!!
2 Weight Willie

Re: Have you ever heard . . .

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Wow, that looks like fun! Future good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for this report. It has been my experience over the last 10+ years of kayak fishing that wintertime light action is not worth braving the elements. Your experience in the lights matches mine, so in the winter, I try to time my trips for pre-frontal bleak calm conditions, launching later to match the solunar periods.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

brrrr...Great report, Great redfish, but The Old Man and the Sea comes to mind.
We'll have to call you Santiago.
Generally, when you resort to the small lures is when you see pod reds, and can't get their attention with larger lures - if they're eating glass minnows, won't pay attention to anything else - give it another month - there should be plenty of finger mullet now.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Yeah, wind conditions weren't ideal, but were workable. If the forecast had been for the winds to stay up we likely would not have gone, since we have a bit of a road trip from the north side. But it was a weather window and a day we could get out, so we took it - better than not fishing!
Another weather related aspect was the barometric pressure - it hit its low point at about the time we launched.

The location we were had some wind protected areas to fish and at nights the houses block the wind to a variable extent. When I missed the flounder bites I was in the wind zone, free floating, so bobbing a bit with the line curved, etc. When Mike anchored in the same area he was able to feel the subtlety of the flounder bite.
In the canal lights the wind disturbed surface was a benefit. The results made the trip worth the annoyances.

A comment on wind - We generally avoid going with winds around 15mph or higher.
In mid October I was on a PACK camping outing and one of the days had a front come through with NE winds over 20mph. Since I was there I went out. It was a workout! More workout than fishing, though there were wind protected areas to fish. There were also open water areas where the waves built up to become a challenge! I was in a paddle kayak, which was probably better suited for the conditions than the tanker of the PA. Bottom line is that I enjoyed the outing!! There was a sort of satisfaction to the trip - while I did not defeat the storm, it did not defeat me!
Plus I caught a small flounder a 19" red and took back two mid slot reds!
Attachments
PA160065.JPG
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

15mph sustained is also my general cut off point for my kayak, too.

Thanks for the report, YakRunAbout. This board has been as dead as nighttime winter light fishing in January.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'm surprised you caught those big Redfish at night in those frigid conditions. Congrats on your nighttime success. I usually catch smaller reds and Trout at night than daytime.

Would have been nice if you'd hauled in those lunkers during my past TKF NIGHTTIME TOURNAMENT. I recall only Trout were caught that April night.

Would love seeing some more good reports so I can decide where to go fish, ha ha. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Have you ever heard . . .

Dandydon wrote:I'm surprised you caught those big Redfish at night in those frigid conditions. Congrats on your nighttime success. I usually catch smaller reds and Trout at night than daytime.

Would have been nice if you'd hauled in those lunkers during my past TKF NIGHTTIME TOURNAMENT. I recall only Trout were caught that April night.

Would love seeing some more good reports so I can decide where to go fish, ha ha. Image

West Nueces is hot right now

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, 2-Weight!

2 Weight Willie

Dandydon wrote:Thanks, 2-Weight!

Your welcome

2 Weight Willie

Dandydon wrote:Thanks, 2-Weight!

Those back marshes are best mid day

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD, you're like me - you'll go fishing when someone will go with you
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:DD, you're like me - you'll go fishing when someone will go with you
I enjoy the company too, but I can never get anyone to go. (Except my dad, he never wants to leave once were out there!)

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Funny - I read the report and instead of thinking you were crazy, I was wishing I was there. I’ve had a few family issues that have kept me off the water but I’m back and ready to get at it. Look for a report soon fellow fishermen.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You nailed it, Ron. I do some things alone, like long, fast bike rides and Tai Chi practice for Kung Fu.

But for fishing I enjoy good company for catching success and safety. At my age I also like having someone to do the driving, ha ha.

Looking forward to Capt. Watson's upcoming fishing report...

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Funny - I read the report and instead of thinking you were crazy, I was wishing I was there.
Dr Watson - I would not expect that you would think that we were crazy, you, my fine sir, are a fisherman!
I believe that you have been in plenty of situations that a sane person would tend to avoid and yet, you have gone back for more! You are not crazy, you are a fisherman!

(I realize the Dr may be considered out of place but in the current vernacular, and as a lawyer, I do believe that you have a PhD behind that jurisprudence? Also, it tends to go with the name! ha, ha)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

oops, coffee took this morning - what other field is mwatson's consumate knowledge base besides law and fishing?
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Watson's consummate knowledge also includes catching gar accidentally.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

there's a spot on the Guadalupe where we sight-fish longnose - they make great aerials