Cayo Del Grullo & Laguna Salada ( Baffin Bay) March 17-19 2021

bones72

Cayo Del Grullo & Laguna Salada ( Baffin Bay) March 17-19 2021

Post by bones72 »

Not really a Kayak report, though I had mine with me the winds were just not there, but I figured the more reports we had after the freeze the better. My fishing buddy and I fished both of the major arms of Baffin Bay. On the Laguna Salada we wade fished both drowning bait, tossing plastics and of course I was throwing the flyrod. The water was fairly clear given the fact the wind was howling out of the north and there was a fair amount of bait in the water mainly mud minnows and some mullet in many sizes from the bigguns at 12-14 inches to smaller fish nearing the finger mullet size. Nothing was seen of crustaceans, no shrimp, no crabs of any variety. I managed two rat reds of about 15 inches a piece on the fly rod and another rat red came on a mud minnow. On the fly rod fish came on a white baitfish fly tied on !/0 hook.
Add description
Add description
White lightning II.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
On the Cayo Del Grullo arm we mainly fished at night on the large public pier in the area. I tried wading with buggy whip for a bit casting to the closer lights for trout and was rewarded with many 13 to 14 inch trout using #6 olive and white clousers, After I had my fill of that I went up on the pier hoping for a red or two on bait. A couple locals came over as I got out of waders and collapsed my fly gear and asked about flyfishing and said I was pretty crazy for wading as they had seen sharks in the area lately. Not sure how much stock to put in that as the water seemed to be pretty cool; but wading at night in muddy water with plenty of prey around convinced me it might have been a bad idea. We managed several rat reds and I had one upper slot red that found the barnacles on the pier to cut me off on. Reds were caught on mud minnows We also caught tons of nursery trout on crappie jigs in the lights.

No pictures on this excursion as I was mainly wade fishing and had a recent scare with the phone fishing for whites on the Llano. Kind of wanted to hit the Corpus area during the trip but the north wind was brutal and exceeded forecasted speeds by wide margins.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Cayo Del Grullo & Laguna Salada ( Baffin Bay) March 17-19 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

I wouldn't worry about sharks - blackwater in the surf is always loaded with sharks and finding it is a dues-paid-up day.
Thanks for the report.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Cayo Del Grullo & Laguna Salada ( Baffin Bay) March 17-19 2021

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

bones72 wrote:Not really a Kayak report, though I had mine with me the winds were just not there, but I figured the more reports we had after the freeze the better. My fishing buddy and I fished both of the major arms of Baffin Bay. On the Laguna Salada we wade fished both drowning bait, tossing plastics and of course I was throwing the flyrod. The water was fairly clear given the fact the wind was howling out of the north and there was a fair amount of bait in the water mainly mud minnows and some mullet in many sizes from the bigguns at 12-14 inches to smaller fish nearing the finger mullet size. Nothing was seen of crustaceans, no shrimp, no crabs of any variety. I managed two rat reds of about 15 inches a piece on the fly rod and another rat red came on a mud minnow. On the fly rod fish came on a white baitfish fly tied on !/0 hook.
White lightning II.jpg
On the Cayo Del Grullo arm we mainly fished at night on the large public pier in the area. I tried wading with buggy whip for a bit casting to the closer lights for trout and was rewarded with many 13 to 14 inch trout using #6 olive and white clousers, After I had my fill of that I went up on the pier hoping for a red or two on bait. A couple locals came over as I got out of waders and collapsed my fly gear and asked about flyfishing and said I was pretty crazy for wading as they had seen sharks in the area lately. Not sure how much stock to put in that as the water seemed to be pretty cool; but wading at night in muddy water with plenty of prey around convinced me it might have been a bad idea. We managed several rat reds and I had one upper slot red that found the barnacles on the pier to cut me off on. Reds were caught on mud minnows We also caught tons of nursery trout on crappie jigs in the lights.

No pictures on this excursion as I was mainly wade fishing and had a recent scare with the phone fishing for whites on the Llano. Kind of wanted to hit the Corpus area during the trip but the north wind was brutal and exceeded forecasted speeds by wide margins.
Tell me about whites on the Llano! Headed there Wednesday. What area did you fish and were they already there. I'm wondering if they would still be in the river now and how far up they run?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
bones72

Re: Cayo Del Grullo & Laguna Salada ( Baffin Bay) March 17-19 2021

Post by bones72 »

Caught the whites almost in the lake in the first riffles just in from it. They were not up far and were already spawning. We jumped in at the Kingsland slab and it was one heck of hike to get to them.