Limits of Nighttime Redfish [emoji225]!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Limits of Nighttime Redfish [emoji225]!

Post by Dandydon »

Last night the Hobie Navy (minus Kickingback who's in surgery for too many kayak casts Image) launched about 10:30pm at Sea Isle. The East winds were light around 6 mph and nobody else showed up except the TKF fish warrior Yak Boi with a newbie friend.

Unfortunately I was far away fishing the western canals, so will have to meet Yak Boi next trip. I heard he caught some slot Reds... Yessir.

While my companions Shoffer and Watson (with his son Ellis) headed east out of the main Sea Isle canal, I went west and was disappointed to see all the surface bay lights turned off. So headed into the first western canal to a green light hosting about a dozen slot Redfish circling above it! What a delight to see and hear feeding Reds all around!

I threw my beloved white glow VUDU SHAD past the light, then retrieved it erratically through the light-cone. Bam! Had a strong 23" Red on which tried to swim under my yak. Managed to turn her into my waiting net.

For the next hour I repeated that process on 4 separate underwater lights hosting big Reds you could cast to. It's exciting to see your targets swimming in front of you.

I added slot Redfish of 21" and 22" to my cooler, then hooked a Donkey Red of 26" which was released. For me it was all Reds, no Speckled Trout, but who's complaining?

Thinking my companions would fish until sunrise, I retreated to a dark canal for a refreshing Man-NapImageImage. After about an hour Shoffer was on the marine radio advising that he, young Ellis & Watson were already back at the ramp. Apparently they caught easy Redfish limits, too.

As our local Fish Scout Impulse predicted, we had a Redfish jamboree! And to top it off, Impulse himself (Rick) was at the launch ramp last night to wish us well. Thanks, Rick!

It's hard to beat nighttime kayak fishing when you can sight-cast to slot Reds. Hope to see you out there soon. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
impulse

Re: Limits of Nighttime Redfish [emoji225]!

Post by impulse »

Glad it went well! As I told you, I caught 4 reds around 20" on 5 casts with a chartreuse Road Runner an hour or 2 before you guys launched (all released), and my neighbor across the canal caught a 27" monster.

I decided to leave the rest to you guys since they spook for 10-20 minutes each time you pull one out of a light. And I can walk outside and take a cast any time.

Here's a link to last night's video, on which you can briefly see the Hobie Navy scooting in and out between pelicans. I went back from my Wyze V3 camera to an older model Wyze V2 swapped from inside for my time lapse videos starting tonight. Hopefully, the Wyze V2 will have better color performance like the one I burned up in the Galveston salt air last summer. Nothing seems to last very long outside here.

You'll see that the action went crazy just before dawn for anyone who's a morning person instead of a night fisherman.

https://youtu.be/-ZcbYHlujAk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Excellent report Don! It’s funny that I saw both Watson and Shoffer twice, but never saw you! It sounds like you needed no assistance though, congratulations on your limit. I too was throwing a glow Vudu Shad with great success. I’ll have to catch you next time, but glad you could get on em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report Don old boy! Congrats on catching but sorry for the shorter than usual man nap but what can you say with a limit each!!! Bingo! Great night for you guys and sorry I'm not out there to keep you awake if I can! Keep catching them big boys! :clap:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

It was indeed an epic night. I had no idea the wind would kick up the way it did, so I was glad to be off the water when I was. As Yakboi said, that wind picked up out of the east and was ripping around 3 AM. I have been at this location before when that’s happened, and coming back from the west side to the launch point with a strong East wind will definitely kick up 2 to 3 foot waves which sporty enough during the day, but in the pitch black night, is both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

just found this report - good job guys.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:It was indeed an epic night. I had no idea the wind would kick up the way it did, so I was glad to be off the water when I was. As Yakboi said, that wind picked up out of the east and was ripping around 3 AM. I have been at this location before when that’s happened, and coming back from the west side to the launch point with a strong East wind will definitely kick up 2 to 3 foot waves which sporty enough during the day, but in the pitch black night, is both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shoffer you could not have chosen better words to describe the feeling of yakking through those conditions in the dark. It would’ve been much worse alone I can tell you that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk