4/19/21 - Handi-Capable Trout in West Galv. Bay

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

The Hobie Navy launched into West Galveston Bay last night around 10:30 pm to flat calm conditions, cool temps, a half-moon, and low tide movement. I threw into many lights (surface and underwater) engorged with glass minnows using a tandem rig with 2-inch firetiger pattern minnows, a Down South 4 inch in glow/chartreuse, and Cotton Candy flavors on a 1/8 oz, and a small Suicide Shad on a 1/8 oz, all tipped with Saltwater Procure. Landed a sand trout, a hard head, and 9 specks. Three were just over 15 inches but I did not see the point in keeping those pencils, and the rest were 13 to 14 inches, including this little Scrappy Doo:
2021-04-20 00.02.37.jpg
2021-04-20 00.02.39.jpg
Hard to say how this guy lost his snout, but he was a friendly spitfire that I was happy to meet, greet and release back into the wild to do his thing. No reds came to play last night, despite the ones I saw going airborne. Things were quiet from 1-2 am, and just as the minor feed started at 2:15 am, fish started pounding glass minnows all over the place - in the lights and outside the lights in the dark in the open bay. Redfish were coming up from the depth and leaping into clouds of glass minnows, causing explosions all around me. I watched the spectacle for 10 minutes or so and tried to get my lure bit, but the fish wanted nothing to do with it. My smallest tandem rigs at 2 inches did not merit even a sniff by these hungry torpedos. This went on for about an hour, and as we got off the water just as the minor was ending, all was calm and serene again. Men, the solunar theory is proven correct once again.

Night fishing really is its own animal.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 4/19/21 - Handi-Capable Trout in West Galv. Bay

Post by Dandydon »

Looks like Capt. Shoffer had a great night trip, but he forgot to give me his released legal Trout...

Skunked again!

I bet that pug-nosed Trout would have fried up beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome time on the water Captain! I wonder how that trout could eat and live with his snout like that. Weird for sure. I for one love the night time and all that comes with the darkness. The sounds, the lights, the unknown...I love it. Thanks for posting Shoffer!
impulse

Post by impulse »

That's one of the frustrations of fishing with so much bait in the water. You see and hear 'em blasting the the minnows all over, but they're spoiled for choice.

Glad to see some trout. We've been catching only reds and hardheads, with some sand trout thrown in when the kids come over and we drown live shrimp. Live shrimp are okay with the kiddos, because all they want is action. But the preponderance of hardheads make them an expensive way to catch reds at night.

FWIW, I've been doing okay on some tiny 1-1/2" plastic crappie minnows on a bare hook. Behind a popping cork if I need casting distance. They look exactly like the glass minnows. Also, some are catching reds on bass style spinnerbaits. As normal, catch one fish near a set of lights, and you have to wait 10 minutes or so for them to calm down. Or move and come back a little later.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Good report, thanks for sharing. That’s one badass looking trout. Come hell or high water that fish is eating! Good to see you out last night, and glad somebody was on the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I caught one so small one day that his upper jaw came apart removing the hook - but I doubt he traveled that far.

Trout are tougher than most imagine. I got a 20"er in the surf one day that had been filleted down one side by a shark. It was missing most of that gill, gut membrane intact, and the rest of his side scarred over with red scar tissue - I got the other fillet.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good surf story, Ron. That shark screwed up only gobbling half your Trout.

But your eating the rest proves that you, like the Fishing Attorneys, are a human shark.

Welcome to the Shark Club. Image Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk