Moses lake 05/02/2021

ToolB

Moses lake 05/02/2021

Post by ToolB »

Made my first yak fishing trip today. Rain/wind made me decide on Moses lake.

Dropped in at Moses lake bait camp, 10.00, well worth it! The truck was safe and the fine gent there actually helped me unload and load. He also looked at the log told me the last kayaker, where they talked about and what bait.

An old map on here, had me run the north side shore line. I tried this all around the breakers. As I am a paddler the 10-14 mph winds had me fighting too hard to stay off the rock and operate tackle. I didn’t go all the way to the deep hole.

I decided to instead paddle into the wind and try the south shore. I could get a bit of a break here between paddling and fishing. They are laying in new grass on the preserve. This proved amazing. As soon as I started casting to the south shore near the bamboo “surveying” sticks I started getting action. Pulled in a 15” flounder in 2’ of water 2’ from shore. Got a few other bites and play.

Nice place only a kayak could get to. I was using gulp 3” penny, but they did not care for that. I switched to gulp pink swirl tail minnows and it came to life. Would suggest to use live bait though and will the next time I go.

Sorry no photos, still new to this and didn’t want to drop my phone in the drink, did catch some on a GoPro.

Best of luck, and another shout out to the people at Moses lake bait shop, awesome experience!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Moses lake 05/02/2021

Post by Ron Mc »

great job, great report - great result on a maiden trip.
Those of us who like fishing big wind, it's because of drift sock and trolley - if its not already rigged, you found the reason to want it.
outbreaker

Post by outbreaker »

Ron Mc wrote:great job, great report - great result on a maiden trip.
Those of us who like fishing big wind, it's because of drift sock and trolley - if its not already rigged, you found the reason to want it.
Drift socks make life so much easier.
ToolB

Post by ToolB »

Thank you both for the mention of a drift sock, I will look into this.
I had a small anchor with me that proved to be completely worthless. I see huge value in the peddle yaks, but I can rig for a troller.
Already excited about my next run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Thanks for the report! This area is on my list to visit and it sounds like you had a great time.
ToolB

Post by ToolB »

It was a good time. I will know to do a bit better on photos next time, [mention]Dandydon [/mention] seems to really bring his reports to life. I’m still a bit new though, and the phones worth more than a fish. :-)

Looking for my next trip next weekend. Debating Texas city dike but not sure, really will be dependent on the wind, I am paddle only... for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk