Fishing report Galveston Island State Park 5/4/21

Tenore

Fishing report Galveston Island State Park 5/4/21

Post by Tenore »

I am a new guy here and trying to adjust to a new kayak as well as coastal fishing. The TKF community has been a tremendous help for learning this sport and doing it safely. I also greatly appreciate the fishing reports!

Galveston Island State Park, Lake Como Launch 5/4/21. Hit the water at 7am during low tide. Water was 73F with about 2’ visibility. The forecast had a 40% chance of thunderstorms that never happened but the day was cloudy with 10 mph winds that were shifting due to an incoming front. In the center of lake Como, in front of the launch, I caught a small trout using a Death Stalker lure in gold. This lure caught a second trout of about 13”. Then I promptly lost the only one I had on a snag. The rest of the day I fished using various paddle tails and caught another small trout and an even smaller flounder. Last fish of the day was a stingray that fortunately wriggled off the hook as I was scrambling to get the net. By about 11am, the fishing went cold or I just moved to the wrong locations. I saw some good sized redfish tailing the grass around the point of Oak Bayou. No luck sight casting to these guys.

Three weeks ago (on a perfect weather day) I was skunked in these waters so 4 fish was an improvement. One non-fishing highlight was observing many bright pink spoonbills dancing around in the marshes.

So far I have really enjoyed my Nucanoe Flint. It paddles and tracks well. This kayak is also light enough to put on my car rack.
Attachments
Even the smalls ones are fun....
Even the smalls ones are fun....
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing report Galveston Island State Park 5/4/21

Post by Ron Mc »

good report - seen reds like that in the reeds at Lighthouse Lakes many times, and couldn't buy a strike.
Best guess, though is go smaller and smaller, like 2" lures and fly rod.
Keep after it, and thanks for the report and photo.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey Tenore, I second Ron Mc in liking your first TKF fishing report. Nice speck photo and good scenic detail. Not too long like a Harlequin romance novel w/ details of food, deep thoughts and boring impressions. Image

Keep reporting on them gamefish and bay birds. When the yak fishing is slow, I'll sneak up on pink spoonbills, white egrets & blue heron to snap up-close photos. Sometimes looking straight up I'll photo circling albatross and pelicans. Especially after a cold beer and brownie break...

Birds and fish go together. Yassir.

Keep up the good work and come join the Hobie Navy for a day or night trip.
That's how we met Yak Boi, Impulse, Kid Cody, YakRunabout, Ms. Twitchy Britches and Floppy Yang. I usually announce our upcoming trips.

We rarely get skunked and always have fun. And if something bad happens, there are 3 top lawyers at your service. One of them knows Kung Fu and is a disc golf champion. Hello.

Let's GO GET SOMEImageImage. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Nice report and welcome to the addiction. As you get more time on the water and figure out the fishing spots, the seasonal patterns, and what works for you, you will enjoy it more and more.

My man, DandyDon, likes to add a little visual spice to his posts. As for the latest one, that is one confident-looking disc golf player, right there!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

shoffer, I thought you were going to hide DD's cell phone for us
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You guys are my biggest fans.

Am I the only TKF member willing to make a fool of himself for some laughs and entertainment?! I know my fans love me. But no marriages, OK?

TKF gets so few fishing reports that a bit of comic relief helps take our minds off Covid, skunk fishing trips, and that embarrassing old coot in the White House.

Let's hear some fishing news and funny stuff... Image. What lures are working and where should we fish? Yassir.

"C'mon man!" Just breathe deep and visualize some legal Trout and Redfish! Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

P. S. My nickname Dandydon may sound gay to some people. I'm pretty sure that has never been "an issue."
No sir.

So I'm thinking about changing my TKF man-handle to POTPICKER or POTSTICKER. Potlicker is already taken.

Should be fun finding a new logo... ImageImage

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Dandydon wrote:P. S. My nickname Dandydon may sound gay to some people. I'm pretty sure that has never been "an issue."
No sir.

So I'm thinking about changing my TKF man-handle to POTPICKER or POTSTICKER. Potlicker is already taken.

Should be fun finding a new logo... ImageImage

Mannapper has a ring to it
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Bingo!

Thanks, Old Salt.

Probably won't change it at my age, but your name would be the best selection.

Typically I rise by 5am, but that comes at the price of an afternoon Man-Nap. Hard to dispute how refreshing that one-hour sleep can be! And it helps to be "retired," no boss around.

And sometimes the sleepy magic happens at night in my Outback, with soft life-vest as a pillow. But don't sleep when the fish are biting.

Just be sure to throw out an anchor so you don't wake up drifting across the Ship Channel. Yikes.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

We'll see if I can still call a tide in advance - Lou and I are fishing this Thursday.
You're welcome to join us at Palm Harbor.
The tide, wind and structure are easy, our favorite drill - we'll start in the cuts, end up drifting down Trout Bayou on NNE and falling tide, shifting to E and an easy ride home.
But I rarely fish May, so may have to switch around to find what they'll hit.
Going prepared to do that, taking 3 baitcasters, 1/4+oz, 1/8 oz, and 1/16th oz in case the small stuff will work this late, and really hoping it will.
Friday and Saturday tides look good, too, but Lou has to get home Thurs night.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, thanks for your kind fishing invitation, but where is Palm Harbor?

I googled it and got a mobile home dealer in Conroe...

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

170 Port Ave, Rockport, TX 78382

When you enter Palm Harbor, go all the way to the left, and take the last drive all the way to the bulkhead and water.
Stage your boat and park past the dumpsters - try not to shine your lights into the resident's RV's.
Pay $5 at the Office for Parking when you return.

ImageThat's Talley Island close, and Traylor Island far

Seriously, Thursday's drill, crack-of-dawn high tide and NNE is our favorite Estes drill, and we try to run it several times/yr.
Start at Trout Bayou cut (former cut) on Aransas Bay, should be 2-3 good hours there. When the cut turns off, drift down Trout Bayou from the first duck blind and follow the redfish, repeat as the catching dictates. Probably finish up at Little Cut, and ride the E wind home.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Looks beautiful down there!

Wish it wasn't so far from my house... I used to fish Rockport 20 years ago when I dated a gal with a house near the jetty. The baywaters were usually so clear I thought I had entered another universe. And I never got skunked.

Since we went our separate ways I haven't been to rocking Rockport...

Maybe I should have married her, lol.

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ron,

I just might be in Rockport/Corpus Christi on Thursday and I just might have kayak with me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Michael, last time we were here, same wind and tide, bait was so thick in the cut they were thumping our boat hulls when we paddled in...

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Looks beautiful down there!

Wish it wasn't so far from my house... I used to fish Rockport 20 years ago when I dated a gal with a house near the jetty. The baywaters were usually so clear I thought I had entered another universe. And I never got skunked.

Since we went our separate ways I haven't been to rocking Rockport...

Maybe I should have married her, lol. Image

The area is beautiful, when I took a trip down this fall I fished the same drift Ron is talking about(Thanks for the tip) I had a good tide and caught close to a limit of reds and no telling how many trout. At one point I found a small pocket stacked with 20-30 egrets in one area on the inside of Little cut. Here’s a rat I caught on the downside of little cut. I also paddled through the cut and caught some fish on the bay side of the cuts.

Overall beautiful place, cannot wait to go back.

I had a perfect wind the day I went out and drifted over a mile home, catching specks the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I recognize that Talley slough off you red's right shoulder...
I'm hoping to catch some tomorrow on my new salty UL.
MWL tomorrow is a bit lower than last October, and I'm expecting that to be good, also.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:I recognize that Talley slough...
I'm hoping to catch some tomorrow on my new salty UL
Such a unique place, a dream for kayakers

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Good report! Thank you for posting, it’s always nice to see new members posting reports.

I go out a few times a week and usually only post the really good trips. Keep at it, I’ve personally never done spectacular in that area, lot of boats and things going on in Lake Como. Too bad you didn’t get one of those tailing reds! That’s a good sign though, I’ve noticed on my last few trips the trout have moved back into the bays with force.

Oh and the surf too ... But let’s keep that on the down low.

Don mentioned kid Cody, well he’s my newbie friend I’ve been teaching and he just caught his PB speck in the surf last week on a Paul Brown! Don’t forget about the Salty gulf, the specks love it.

Tight lines

Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Would love to try some night fishing...thanks!1
Dandydon wrote:Hey Tenore, I second Ron Mc in liking your first TKF fishing report. Nice speck photo and good scenic detail. Not too long like a Harlequin romance novel w/ details of food, deep thoughts and boring impressions. Image

Keep reporting on them gamefish and bay birds. When the yak fishing is slow, I'll sneak up on pink spoonbills, white egrets & blue heron to snap up-close photos. Sometimes looking straight up I'll photo circling albatross and pelicans. Especially after a cold beer and brownie break...

Birds and fish go together. Yassir.

Keep up the good work and come join the Hobie Navy for a day or night trip.
That's how we met Yak Boi, Impulse, Kid Cody, YakRunabout, Ms. Twitchy Britches and Floppy Yang. I usually announce our upcoming trips.

We rarely get skunked and always have fun. And if something bad happens, there are 3 top lawyers at your service. One of them knows Kung Fu and is a disc golf champion. Hello.

Let's GO GET SOMEImageImage. Image