Laurel and Hardy on Estes Flats, May 13, 2021

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Laurel and Hardy on Estes Flats, May 13, 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

Don't get me wrong, we had a great trip, and I figure we paid up all our late dues and advanced enough for our next two trips.
On paper, this was the best-looking tide of the month, big swing, perfect timing to spend the morning in one of the cuts, and even a NE wind to create the eddy that stacks bait in the cuts.

What Went Wrong
We launched from Palm Harbor at 6:10 am - right off, Lou was fighting his rudder cables coming loose from their fittings, each one at a time. Wind was due N at 13 kt, would pick up to 15 through the morning. The wind was predicted to ease to our favorite NE for Trout Bayou later in the morning. The thick overcast would last into the afternoon.

We rounded Talley and paddled to Trout Bayou cut to Aransas Bay.
We began in chocolate water, could almost make out the turtle grass along Talley shore, and returned to chocolate water before we reached the cut. This would have really been a day to fish bait rather than lures.
In spite of the great harmonic, there was so much rain runoff in Aransas Bay, there was never a tide current this day. No bait concentration in the cut, the bait was spread thin along the shores of Talley and Traylor islands.

We fished about an hour in Little Cut without fish sign, then paddled out to drift the flat.
The problem with the North wind, we couldn't parallel any shore, instead, every drift was across the flat from Talley to Traylor shore, so we didn't get much time where there was bait sign.
The best you could do was try to zig-zag down Talley shore. We each registered two strikes for the effort.
We were in Little Cut at 11 am - still, zero tide current. I did manage a couple of tourist trout on my UL (below).

When the wind began to lay about noon, we paddled out again, and finally found the NE we wanted to drift the slack tide along Talley shore.
I had the right lure selection for overcast and water color, and one of the two was getting attention.

About a quarter-mile from the end of Talley, at 1 pm, I nailed a monster red. He pulled me downwind with three long winds of his own peeling 5-lb drag set.
HERE IS WHERE I SHOULD HAVE LIFTED THE DRIFT SOCK. When he turned and charged, it was too late.
When he passed the boat with his shoulders broached, he was 32 inches if he was a penny, and turned right into my drift sock. I jumped out of the boat in soft bottom, tried to get the rod under the drift sock, but the braid wrapped worse on the drift sock lines and snapped.
I know I looked and felt like all the Keystone Cops at once. Lou watched it from his drift, and thought hornets were after me.
At 2pm, we regrouped at Sandy point, and paddled in to pack home.

The sun was finally breaking, and the overcast that rolled through all day ended in a solid seam to blue sky.
What Went Right
I picked the right lure for the chocolate water and heavy overcast. While TSL Plum Treuse would have probably worked as well, I didn't have one rigged, and couldn't turn a fish on Golden Roach.
My 1/8 oz baitcaster was rigged with Z-man Purple Demon. As soon as I began casting it, little trout were attacking it, and it took the big red that I muffed.

Had a baitcast reel I was done with, and rather than sell it, gave it to Lou, especially since he already had the right rod.
When he got to the wide spaces in Little Cut, he was casting it well.

My 1/16 oz baitcaster worked like a dream, there were a few little trout, and plenty of glass minnows in the cuts.
I could cast a 3-g plug across the width of Little Cut, from the hard pack into the grass.

I set up these freshwater trout plugs to imitate glass minnows by swapping the bronze trebles for Owner salt singles.
Tried all 3, but in the chocolate overcast, only the lure on bottom had the right combination of rattle and color, with dark on top.

We traveled well.
Lou and I went down the afternoon before, had a fishing shack arranged at Rahi cottages, and grabbed a late lunch at Van's BBQ - halfway stop from San Antonio.
After settling in, we had some soda pop ritas at MoonDog's.

And their fabled soft-shell crab sandwich was the perfect meal.
I brought a DVD player, and we rounded out the evening with "The Man Who Never Was"

The rest after traveling in made it easy to get up the next morning, fish hard most of the day - we paddled about 8 mi in 15-kt wind - then pack out and drive home.
Before leaving Estes, we made the smart call to grab a Steer Burger - it wasn't this size, but their Ranch Hand burger is the single best hamburger I have ever eaten.

Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Laurel and Hardy on Estes Flats, May 13, 2021

Post by Neumie »

Great report. I completely forgot to give you a heads up about the water conditions. Even where we fished in fully protected waters it was dirty.

Glad y'all caught fish.

I do believe the soft shell crab sandwich at Moondog's is my favorite thing to get there.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Josh.
When Lou read this report, he emailed me that he'd do it all over again today if he could.
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Great report. My dad likes the soft-shell crab sandwich as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Terrific report, Ron, especially that Bull Redfish that pulled you around and then got tangled in your drift sock! That once happened to me on Confederate Reef and my big Red got away, too.

I agree with Neumie that you were cursed by that muddy water. It's hard to fish lures in low-visibility water. I perk up when the water I'm on has visibility around 18-24 inches. Any more than that and the fish get easily spooked.

Sounds like the best part of your trip was all that delicious food you found! My fishing trips usually feature Whattaburger tacos or burgers, plus bonus lemon-filled donuts if the shops are open. Somehow all the junk food is burned up with my pedaling, paddling and casting.

Sounds like you guys had tons of fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD, good thing neither you or Michael showed up.
Except maybe for the food.
Lou and I figure our dues are paid in advance for several trips to come, now.
It was all an adventure, and the most fun was breaking-in the new 1/16 oz baitcaster.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri May 21, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Can't help much with fishing, but can suggest many places to eat. When you mentioned Laurel and Hardy, do you remember the episode when Stan would play the trombone and Oliver went nuts?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The first call we made was between Los Comales and MoonDog's - the former is Much more food, great Mexican seafood, and Real margaritas in a fishbowl.
Good thing, Lou doesn't play the trombone...

Fulton Beach Pier is back.
When my daughters were growing up, it was a ritual - dinner at Cap'n Benny's, fish Fulton Beach Pier for an hour, a cigar, and catch 40 nursery trout, then ice cream.
It's where I honed UL skills for nite-lite specs.
Cap'n Benny's was run by the mayor of Fulton and her grandkids - they didn't reopen after Harvey.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

This thread would have been a real hit on the TKF "RECIPES" forum, but the last post over there was two years ago!

One of my great joys in life is cooking up the fresh fish I catch. A close second is eating splendid seafood outdoors on the saltwater. Preferably not in a city, but a place like Rockport, Port Isabel or Mustang Island.

Keep the seafood reports coming, men!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

P. S. Yes, Tombo, we're both old enough to remember that hilarious episode of Laurel and Hardy. They always make me laugh! And I loved how Stan usually seemed to get the best of blustering Oliver Hardy.

Priceless.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My grandfather had Stan's ears and long chin - he could do the most perfect Laurel impersonation, sometimes when he wasn't trying...
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My grandpa also, along with his hair when he would scratch his head
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Still sounds like it was a fun trip Ron. Fishing, food and friends....the three best f's (DD, get your mind outta the gutter, we're not including the other one :lol: ).
I've had many Laurel and Hardy moments myself. They make the best memories!!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we had a blast, bro - we'd both live the trip and day on the water over again - especially, we both worked our desks hard to get them clear, which made the physical exertion of the trip a great rest for our brains.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'm liking Old Salt's stories and sense of humor (we're both grumpy old men!), but please cut me some slack, Jack!

If my mind's outta the gutter, I'm out without my rudder... . Hello.

P. S. My third "F" would be FIDDLING because I have a band, The Train Wreck, and we're looking for a drummer who can fiddle! All are invited.

Bang your gong. Get it on.

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Laurel and Hardy on Estes Flats, May 13, 2021

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Dandydon wrote:I'm liking Old Salt's stories and sense of humor (we're both grumpy old men!), but please cut me some slack, Jack!

If my mind's outta the gutter, I'm out without my rudder... Image . Hello.

P. S. My third "F" would be FIDDLING because I have a band, The Train Wreck, and we're looking for a drummer who can fiddle! All are invited.

Bang your gong. Get it on.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Your reports are easy to read, as if we are talking in person. When you coming down next time?
PS, someone got themselves a Revolution 16 :D
2 Weight Willie

Tombo wrote:Your reports are easy to read, as if we are talking in person. When you coming down next time?
PS, someone got themselves a Revolution 16 :D
That's a nice kayak tombo, how much did u pay for that hobie?

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

$1600, came with a trolling motor and some other goodies. 2015 model so it has the better seat.
2 Weight Willie

Tombo wrote:$1600, came with a trolling motor and some other goodies. 2015 model so it has the better seat.
Nice bud