SLP 6-3

YakRunabout

SLP 6-3

Post by YakRunabout »

Launched in the AM just after sunrise into calm winds and the initial stages of an incoming tide. Went that far south in hopes of finding salty water on the surface. There was some salt but not a lot!! But lots of fish action – most of it not very accessible as it turns out!!
I was trolling across Cold Pass when I hooked into something of size – He pulled me around a while, making runs which I would slowly get back. But then he broke off!! Dang, both a good way and a bad way to start the day!! Based on the strength of the runs and the repeat of them I think it was a bull red, but I never got a good look at him.

Then all around me there was slashing of bait fish going on. I threw every thing I had rigged up, plus some and could not get a bite. I hoped that they were trout having a field day. During this time Mike radioed that he had a nice flounder and trout up in Titlum-Tatlum, but I was too engrossed with this surface action to move right away.

When I finally did move on and after some searching around in the deep and shallow areas, I pulled in a nice flounder at just under 22”!! This was an area where Mike had previously landed one of his flounder.
P6030416.JPG
We explored around a bit and found that the surface slashing was active in many areas so we would try them out. Mike eventually had a battle with a flying lady fish on a top water. And later back in Cold Pass we came across long lines of small mullet on the surface slurping in whatever was washing in with the incoming tide. Still getting slashed by lady fish. We suspect they were just making fast passes through the crowd of mullet and not after anything in particular!! So many mullet!!

A very nice day to be out. No rain for us though we could see building storms and drove through plenty on the way home. I ended with two flounder, the second a bit over 16”. Mike ended with two flounder around 17” and a fat trout of 18”+.
My 16"
My 16"
P6030419.JPG
An alternate view of my 2 flounder -
An alternate view of my 2 flounder -
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: SLP 6-3

Post by Ron Mc »

somebody's eating well.
Exciting day and Great report Ken.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Sounds like an awesome trip. I spent the same day dodging rain around Port Aransas flinging the buggy whip. Didn't have the luck ya'll did. Those are some very nice flounder I'm pretty envious.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Congratulations on those solid Flounder, Ken. I'm still hoping to catch my first legal Flounder since last November.

And I sympathize with your quest to find salty water. The current bay salinity maps show most of Trinity and Easy Bays too fresh for most Speckled Trout.

That means I'll be fishing the San Luis Pass area, too. Hope to see you on the water.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk