Night time Solunar Bliss at the Galveston Causeway

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Night time Solunar Bliss at the Galveston Causeway

Post by shoffer »

Mwatson and I launched at the Galveston Causeway about 10 pm into moderate outgoing tides, 12 mph winds, and pleasant temps. We had a minor from 10:45 pm to 11:45 pm and planned to work the causeway lights for some trout action.

And boy did we get it. For 90 minutes, it was nonstop action on Down South lures on 1/8 or ¼ oz jigheads, or Mwatson’s favorite Tandem rigs. I must have hooked at least 50 trout, and could have easily kept a limit if I had kept every 15-inch fish I landed. Fish were slurping down menhaden and puking them up as we brought them to hand. I tied on a silver spoon to match the hatch and that worked well also. I must have caught a dozen 14-inch fish, all of which fought like 17-inch fish. Causeway trout are definitely much stronger than their cousins in the bays! I brought home 4 trout to 18 inches.
As the minor dwindled, so did the action, so Watson and I hit a few lights near Tiki and were off the water by 2:30 am. No reds were hooked all night by either of us. The water was a little more turbulent than we initially thought it would be, as the current seemed to be moving opposite of the prevailing SE wind in some instances and perpendicular in others.

Once again, the solunar times were spot on.
Arlo

Re: Night time Solunar Bliss at the Galveston Causeway

Post by Arlo »

Awesome report, Thanks for taking the time to Share. Beautiful Fish.
I have not done it yet, but I really want to go night fishing. on the bay or in the lights.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great eats, and obviously a great time - thanks for the report
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Another fine fishing report from the attorneys of the Hobie Navy. Congrats on landing all those hungry Trout! I love fishing the unpredictable, gnarly Galveston Causeway.

Of course I would have joined in, but couldn't because I injured my left knee doing yard work. Shoffer & Watson picked up the slack and got to experience a true feeding frenzy. Sounds like you men landed about 100 Trout!

Thanks for getting my old powerboat fishing report off the TKF front page. Kayak reports are always welcomed. And how about some more reports? Where is everybody?

My knee is swollen like a baseball, but I'll be ready for the next trip.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
mwatson

Post by mwatson »

Indeed a fun time. The current was a little more than we expected but it was still manageable. Once we hit the causeway, my first cast yielded two solid thumps but I couldn't get a good hook set. This continued for my first 10-20 casts. I switched jig heads from the swiveling Trout Eyez to the standard Trout Eyez fixed jig head and it was on. It was fish on almost every cast. There were birds working everywhere, one of which picked up my lure as it hit the water and then got tangled up in the line. I managed to cut him free but the lure dropped in the water. I took that as an opportunity to put a tandem rig on and proceeded to slay them, sometimes 2 at a time. Trout 12-14" were plentiful, and a limit of trout 15-16" could have been had in 30 minutes. I only kept two 17" specks.

As Shoffer said, causeway trout are just built different. It was a great couple of hours of fishing.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hope my presence doesn't jinx you men on our next fishing trip... lol.

You guys slayed them last night.

Looking forward to the next feeding frenzy...

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent report and great fishing by you fellow Captains! I am guessing you were in your PB and not kayaks. That makes for a good time when you're in the same boat and catching limits with only you two.
The fish at the causeway are fighting for their food around the columns. The bait fish stack up closer to the pylons and the trout are fighting to get the best bites more than if they were sitting in ambush spots in marsh or bay. I love fishing for trout at the causeway and then paddling over to Tiki to get reds in the lights doing the same thing chasing bait balls in lights. This is always when the fish fight the most as they want the best bait they can eat with so many there. Fights on every cast at times!
Thanks again for the report and keep them coming!
Only a few people are posting and many wonder where ALL HAVE GONE?! Hopefully they will return to post if fishing.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

KB - we were the kayaks.

Arlo - thanks for the kind words.

DD - missed you buddy. Hope your knee feels better.

Mwatson/RonMc - I cooked my trout up with a Luby's fried fish and tartar sauce recipe I found on the internet. Man - it was just like the Luby's dish I often ate as a kid. I should post it.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Post the recipe, Shoffer.

My damn knee hurts but at least I can still cook up some delicious Luby's-style Trout!

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent!!