Our Farewell TKF Trip

mwatson71

Our Farewell TKF Trip

Post by mwatson71 »

So this is very likely the last fishing report I will pen for TKF. Thanks, Tom, for providing a space where those of us with a love of kayak fishing could come together and share stories, learn a few things, and make a few friends. There are some great guys on this board, and I thank you all for your contributions to the board and to my fishing knowledge. And with that ...

Last night three of the four members of the Hobie Navy launched at Fat Boys to fish the causeway during what was supposed to be a major feed from 11:30p-1:30a under 7-12mph winds. Dandydon, Shoffer, and I launched right at 10:30p. Absent was Kickingback, but joining us was my 14 yr old, commanding his Outback purchased from a member on TKF. Tides were low as expected.

The causeway is normally filled with light from end to end. On this night, several if not most of the lights were out. Most of the lights were in the middle point of the causeway closer to the boat channel. I was armed with my Sarge Bohica and had a 3" glow Vudu shad for ammo. My son had a 1/4 silver spoon tied on, a pick up at Buc-ees on the way down. It was slow for the first 30-45 minutes and I was a little worried that this was going to be one of those trips where he gets bored and wants to call it early. In fact, Dandydon left us and headed back to Tiki to give it a go in the canals.

And then it turned on. Every other cast was a bite, some you could tell were dinks and thankful that the hook didn't get set. Others were true thumps and then the causeway trout pull began. We quickly had two keepers in the bag, one 15" that I caught that was bleeding pretty badly and would not have survived a release, and a 16" by my son. We probably caught 20 trout under 14", 30 trout 14-15", and 20 trout that were 15.1", and ended up keeping my 15, two 16s, and two 17s. He outcaught me 3:1, but I outcaught him on keepers 3:2. We headed back in around 2:00a but made a few casts at each decently bright light we passed in the causeway. Each light gave up a fish to each of us, sometimes a few more. We made it back to the launch around 3:00a.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Our Farewell TKF Trip

Post by shoffer »

Great report by MWatson. The water was a little calmer than our last trip, but the tide was 30% stronger (outgoing), but it was a pleasant outing. The mosquitos have been absent our last two trips there.

Water visibility was typical late summer crappy, so the sliver spoon was the ticket for me. I was out of my favorite Johnson Chrome Sprite, so I stopped at Walmart but they were out also. So I picked up a smaller Tsunami and a larger Cordell. They did not perform as well as the Sprite, however, and I noticed I was losing more fish at the boat. Once I changed out the hook on the Tsunami for a larger treble, the hook-up ratio was better. I likely landed 40 fish, but perhaps 5 were keepers. Two 16" I kept, and anything else I thew back. But even the little guys are over-achievers in the pulling department.

I then headed into the ramp and found a faint underwater light in the channel, where I picked up another 10 fish, three of which were keepers. I bagged two males, so I had four trout in the bag.

We ran into another yakker at the ramp who had a limit of reds and a limit of trout. He said he has been focusing on Tiki only, as the Causeway has been full of dinks of late. I can confirm that, but I'd rather be catching dinks than nothing.

MWatson's son, Ellis, has been on fire lately. I am sure Pop is proud.

I noticed that Stubb pulled down the announcement of a TKF demise, so maybe TKF in its original form will survive. In the meantime, Luby's fried fish recipe is in my future.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I was also there with the Hobie Navy, trying to recover from an injured knee and catch a few nighttime fish for my dinner table.

Like Watson I was disappointed to see over half the normal Causeway lights were dark. I headed further down toward the middle where some powerboats were set up under the best lights. Had those unlit Causeway lights caught Covid? Goodness gracious.

After an hour of casting my white Down South paddletail and VUDU Shad with no bites, I got bored and radioed the Navy I was heading over to the TIKI canals. Unfortunately I now know the trout bite commenced 15 minutes after I left! Image

Over at TIKI the baywater was a bit murky. I got a few soft bites, but no catches. My knee had gotten a bit sore, so I anchored up next to a large underwater light and took an hour-long Man Nap.

I was awakened by radio chatter, so made a few casts to the light and proceeded to catch four 12-15" Trout dinks , then a big, ugly Croaker. All released.

I'm glad my companions caught so many specks last night, but for me, my probable last TKF fishing report tallies up to "Four Dinks & a Croaker!"

We will continue to joyously kayak fish despite the termination of TKF. Hope to see you on the water. Let's GO GET SOME! ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Great report guys. Watson, good luck with whatever u'll do next!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good job guys
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Congrats on getting out - likely some nice weather for it - and thanks for the report.

"OUR FAREWELL TKF TRIP" - Hmmm, have a little faith -
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the report guys. I’m hoping to get one last report up this Thursday or Friday. We shall see.

Personally I’ve never fished the causeway but may have to give it a try at some point or another. The current has always kept me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'm counting on you men to post some exceptional and crazy reports in the next five days. This is your last chance to let your hair down and let 'er rip before TKF expires.

Even if you don't go fishing, make up an incredible and entertaining trip that will be your TKF epigraph, your parting words to all.

Don't forget to post some wild photos. Now's the time to share those fully nude shots after too many beers or whiskeys. I'm looking for my recent action photo of Watson & Shoffer padding nude in a Hobie tandem.

Make some memories and be somebody. Yassir. Image

2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Our Farewell TKF Trip

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Dandydon wrote:I'm counting on you men to post some exceptional and crazy reports in the next five days. This is your last chance to let your hair down and let 'er rip before TKF expires.

Even if you don't go fishing, make up an incredible and entertaining trip that will be your TKF epigraph, your parting words to all.

Don't forget to post some wild photos. Now's the time to share those fully nude shots after too many beers or whiskeys. I'm looking for my recent action photo of Watson & Shoffer padding nude in a Hobie tandem.

Make some memories and be somebody. Yassir. Image

LmaoImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk