Rattlesnake Point - August 14, 2021

Neumie
Site Admin

Rattlesnake Point - August 14, 2021

Post by Neumie »

Went down to Rockport with my wife to do little kayak fishing Saturday morning. Weather was looking good with only a 30% chance of storms in the morning. We made it down in time to catch the sunset over Copano Bay.

I wanted to do a little trout fishing so we stayed close to home and launched at the Aransas Pathways Rattlesnake Point access point. The water in the canal was discolored, but I was hopeful it would clear up as we got into the open water.

Narrator: "It did not"

We paddled towards the now abandoned Rattlesnake Point Lodge and set up to kind of drift around where the bulkhead ends and the lodge itself. After maybe 10 minutes I was not feeling it as the discolored water really tempered my enthusiasm.

We decided to paddle around the point and fish the back waters. There we found reds and black drum scattered through the flat; the majority being black drum. Quite a few fish were tailing and even some reds with their backs exposed working a shoreline. It was definitely the place to be.

My wife was throwing a Strike Pro Hunchback and I was dead set on catching a fish on one of my homemade soft plastic lure. I eventually managed to not spook a fish and caught a rat red working the shoreline.

In that picture you can really see how calm it was with the clouds reflecting off the water. I did hook into two other larger reds, but they ran straight for me and I missed the hook sets. My wife had two reds hooked up on the Strike Pro before they shook her off.

Unfortunately, the storms forming off in the distance and moving our way were getting stronger and we had to start paddling our way back to the launch. We were off by 9:30 just as it started to rain on us.

Really should have been limits for both of us, but it wasn't the case that day. I think I'm going to invest in a package of Fish Bites to keep handy for the next time I'm around that many Black Drum. Or my fly rod.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:00 am - 9:30 am
Air Temp: 84°F - 87°F
Wind: 0-5 kn ESE (gusting 7)
Barometric Pressure: 1020 mb (Rising)
Sky: Partly Cloudy
Water Clarity: 0-2 ft
Water Temp: 91°F
Structure: Grass, Oysters

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 6:57 am/8:07 pm
Moonrise/set: 12:58 pm/--:-- am
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent (36%)

Predicted Tides @ Rockport (MLLW)
High @ 8:40 am (0.34 ft)
Low @ 6:37 pm (0.09 ft)

Lures
Plum Paddletail on 1/18 oz jighead
Pink Chrome Super Spook Jr.
Red Head/Gold Strike Pro Hunchback

Fish
Reds: 1 Rat

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rattlesnake Point - October 14, 2021

Post by Ron Mc »

Of course a great report as always, a great use of your morning, and fun to catch fish on home-made lures.
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Awesome. Is that My radar? If so thats what me and my dad use along with noaa

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

2 Weight Willie wrote:Awesome. Is that My radar? If so thats what me and my dad use along with noaa
Yes, it's MyRadar. I like having direct access to radar to see what's going on around me.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for the report, Neumie. I use Myradar all the time when I am out on the water. What I most appreciate about your post is the trails graphic. If I am ever down that way, that kind of info helps the most in terms of what might be good launch and fishing spots.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Thanks guys for chatting about the My Radar app. I just downloaded it to check it out. .........cC
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Rattlesnake Point - October 14, 2021

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Neumie wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Awesome. Is that My radar? If so thats what me and my dad use along with noaa
Yes, it's MyRadar. I like having direct access to radar to see what's going on around me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

You drove by my house to fish there
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Rattlesnake Point - August 14, 2021

Post by Dandydon »

Josh, your fishing reports are terrific.
My only concern is that as new owner of TKF, you have no one to censor you if you go off the rails, lol.

Keep up the good work. You have a standing invitation to fish with the Hobie Navy if you ever come visit our local waters.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk