Back with the living

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Back with the living

Post by Prof. Salt »

The Delta variant of Covid hit me hard and kept me down for a week. Since beginning to recover I have been venturing out alone to see if I can rebuild some amount of paddling base. Last wednesday I tried for the first time and it was a real chore to move the kayak. I took my time and didn't rush anything. Never saw another soul but found a few fish.
Friday I fled others when I saw them, and although they pushed me out of my primary area, I managed to run into some great schools in a different area.
Yesterday I returned in a brand new Viking Reload and a crab fly and set out to get a limit of drum on the buggy whip. It took all morning to find the right fish (I kept having to release larger ones) but I ended up with a string of 15-17" lovelies that will be great on the table.
I have been keenly aware that the best part of the offshore season is stealing away right under my nose, but Covid totally kicked my butt and it has been a lot of work to get back into some sort of shape again. I am finally to the point that I'm watching the weather and hoping for another slick day...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Back with the living

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the photos and report - glad you're improving.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Great report and Glad you’re improving. It kicked my ass too, little scary tbh. 35 days later and I’m still coughing up phlem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kayakmodSS

Post by kayakmodSS »

Glad to ear you are doing better Professor we love to see your adventures thank you for sharing them! and tech us i learned lots just by watching your videos! I got hit by the delta variant too and is pure misery first two weeks where real bad then started to get better by the third week i finally stopped coughing up phlegm now is just nausea hope i get better soon missing btb on the yak does any one can tell me by when the season of the kings is over in CC area the most late i ever fished the mayan rigs whit some luck was by the end of august wonder by when they start to leave the area thx.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I hope you start feeling better. I have been watching your YT videos and mustering up the courage to try BTB. I have fished the bays 15-20 years but have never ventured past 300yds from the beach. Your videos are inspiring and very helpful.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm watching the weather again for a chance to get offshore.

Yesterday I took the long and skinny Viking Oxygen to the bay determined to paddle myself out of this lingering headache, and found good waves out near the ship channel. My strength is not what it had been but is still decent, but I was intentionally dialing my paddling speed back a notch while getting to the fast part. Once I got to the large wave sets I could see that some were really moving and about 2.5 feet high. On the last run I finally managed 13mph on a nice wave set which really surprised me. I knew I was flying but didn't realize we were moving that fast until I checked the GPS. I paddled back with a raging headache but I knew it would let up because of the efforts. Last night I slept well for once, but now the headache is back. At least it has been put on notice that I'm back and going to kick the headaches out soon.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Glad you're improving the Delta is proving to be a tough one for many. Looks like you've been taking good medicine.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

So glad you are doing better Professor. Prayes sent for all those effected by this scourge!
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

Glad to see your back in the saddle brother. I thought this some vanished. So happy to see its still in existence. Hoping some day I get to get down south and get some BTB in.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Just shows it’s true what they say about keeping a good man down! Way to tough it out, and I’m sure you know not to push it too much. :wink:
Glad to see you back though.
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Nice job professor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk