Big moon Sunday night –

YakRunabout

Big moon Sunday night –

Post by YakRunabout »

Went to Tiki late Sunday, launching as late as you can get as still be Sunday, off before sunrise. There was a big bite window from 1:11 till 3:11 with an incoming tide a bit later. On launch the tidal flow was still strong going out. We were a bit early to catch the best of the incoming flow.

We were accompanied during the night by a big moon in clear skies, joined by nearby Jupiter and Saturn. Orion was rising just as we headed back to the ramp. Light to moderate breezes made the trip comfortable without kicking up too many waves.

Fish action was decent but generally small with lots of trout caught. I did end up with three keeper trout, 17”, 18” and 19”, from both outside lights and in-canal lights.
My specs for the night
My specs for the night
One observation that I have seen on other nights – the best fish action in the canal was at the lights near the end of the canal! The canal waters were generally calm, but fish were still somewhat active. Often the best action was at the last lights in the canal! That is where two of my keepers were found as well as many smalls. So, even if the canal is quiet it may be worth the trip to go to the end –
17" spec
17" spec
I caught all specs and sand trout. At the outside lights I caught a keeper and smalls on a jerk shad, while inside lights were with a Down South burner shad. I also caught too many extra-smalls with a 3” gulp paddleshad/mullet, but its profile was small enough that the 6” or so trout and sandies could take it, where they were often just a smalls hit on the larger burner shad.

I ended up using only one burner shad through the night, tho it got quite beat up. I was sort of trying to see how ugly of a lure they would still take! I was having fun with it - by the end it was bent, turned over, cut-up, barely on the hook - but still caught fish!
A beat up burner
A beat up burner
While I caught only the 2 trouts others caught reds, with two at 20”. When a 15” size red was caught it brought with it the initial hope of a nice large trout – so a bit of disappointment when the rat red shows up!!

There was also a large gar caught! About 3’ is the estimate. It was brought to the boat and held a bit out of the water while a discussion ensued on how best to retrieve the lure from that toothy grin!! But the fish, apparently bored with the discussion, with a big kick of its tail, jumped into the air and threw the hook, thus ending the dilemma.

All in all an enjoyable night on the water -
Attachments
Reflection
Reflection
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Big moon Sunday night –

Post by Ron Mc »

Really great report Ken.

Love the sky, tides and I'd never argue with a respectable rat red.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Big moon Sunday night –

Post by Dandydon »

Great comprehensive fishing report, Ken. You picked a good sky-viewing night to fish with that full moon and planetary conjunction.

Daytime fishing in this hot weather is tough. The night time is the right time (until around Halloween ).

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk