8/27/21 - Bay area behind Packery

mwatson71

8/27/21 - Bay area behind Packery

Post by mwatson71 »

After the late morning BHP skunk, I went back to the condo to do a little work and took a short nap. Launched around 6:30p to fish a little area behind Packery where my son and I fished the last time we were here in July. I managed to pick up a couple of just over 17" trout and had two for dinner, Luby's fried fish style with the Luby's tartar sauce recipes that Shoffer posted a little while back. They were spot on and delicious. Thanks for posting that recipe Shoffer.

I also caught a crap ton of ladyfish and a couple of rat reds. I saw a school of what I thought were mullet so I threw a Vudu shrimp into them to see if anything was underneath and it turned out to be a school of little reds. I caught two on back to back casts that were maybe 9-10". I don't recall ever seeing a school of rat reds like that before. One thing is certain, the winter freeze did not kill off the Corpus Christi ladyfish population. Between last night and today I probably boated 30 and hooked another 100.

I wanted to go back out tonight, but I'm not sure my legs have another outing in them, plus I have to drive back to Houston tomorrow.

Corpus, it was good seeing you again.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 8/27/21 - Bay area behind Packery

Post by Ron Mc »

We've had a strange summer, for sure.
I like next week's tide harmonics, and hope to get out.
Thanks for the reports, and sounds like you got your exercise, at least.
Ladyfish - small ones can be annoying, but big ones can make for great fun.
Safe travels home.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ron Mc wrote:We've had a strange summer, for sure.
I like next week's tide harmonics, and hope to get out.
Thanks for the reports, and sounds like you got your exercise, at least.
Ladyfish - small ones can be annoying, but big ones can make for great fun.
Safe travels home.
Exercise indeed. In total I had four launches and excursions in two days. Two at Packery, one at BHP, and one in the canal behind the AirBnB I got. I think between 4:30p Thursday and 8:30p Friday I pedaled for 13 hours.

Thursday night I caught a pretty big ladyfish which convinced me that the fish I hooked in Packery was a tarpon.

I’m already looking for my next chance to return.
outbreaker

Post by outbreaker »

Those lady fish make dang good Red bait.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Many times those ladyfish will have trout and reds hanging out on the edges of their shenanigans. It’s tempting to throw into the action but many of times I have caught really nice trout right on the edges of where those ladys are. A young man at Seaworthy told me about that a long time ago and it has proven to be true more times than not for me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

It's true, trout and ladyfish go together like reds and stingrays.
The biggest part is how the structure and current focuses bait.