Rockport Fishing October 9,2021

katzig

Rockport Fishing October 9,2021

Post by katzig »

Finally got back to the Coast for some fishing, first time for me since the big freeze kill, also all the rain in September, so the water in Copano Bay is very dirty, on the 8th I fished from the Airport Park all the way to Redfish point, caught one 14 inch Trout, very slow day, On the 9th I launched at the Copano Bridge launch, water seemed a little cleaner, fished all the way to Red Fish Point again, not even a bump, headed back for the launch, got to the Three reefs they built form the old highway concrete, and finally I found some fish, Caught 5 keepers in about a 20 minute frenzy, biggest was about a 17". Fished again on the 10th, went back to the same area, got skunked. I was using a 1/4 jig head, 5" jerk shad. So my impression from three days fishing is, Fish are scarce, water is dirty, but the fish are here if you get lucky and find a few, I'm hoping the water clears up some and the temperatures cool some, I've got until November 15 to fish, and even with the poor conditions I just love fishing here,
Attachments
IMG_0524.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rockport Fishing October 9,2021

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report, and keep us posted on results
katzig

Post by katzig »

Went right back to the Copano Bridge launch this morning, 15 to 25 mph S/E wind, Bay was churned up, about 2-3ft swells, Peddled down around the corner, hit the reefs looking for Trout, fished around all three, not even a bump, waters real dirty, would have to hit a fish on the head for them to even see the lurer, moved up close to the shore line just to get a little wind break, now I'm in about 1ft of water, started making casts and working the lurer along the weed line, Bam got a good fish, it pulled me around a full circle several times, nice red, maybe a 28, took his picture and turned him loose, rowed back to the same area, bam got another hook up, anyway I ended up catching 5 reds, three around 19-20inches and the two I took pictures of, released all of them, also caught 4 small trout, one made 14 3/4 " others maybe 12". By now its getting hot, time to head back, got a pretty good work out getting back, wind was gusting to 25+MPH, rollers were about 3 ft., I'm fishing out of a Hobie Revo 13 this year, left the 16 at home, really like this 13, much more agile than the 16.
Attachments
IMG_0526.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for posting an update. I love my Revo 13, especially when the need to cut thru wind and waves presents itself.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Very nice. Thank you for sharing the report
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Thanks for the reports. My wife and I fished a few months back and Copano was blown out back then too. Ended up ditching trout fishing and found reds and black drum similar to you.