Fly fishing in the Houston Area

Flyfisher87

Fly fishing in the Houston Area

Post by Flyfisher87 »

I Just moved to houston and am looking for good places to go fly fishing around the houston area.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Check out Mark Marmon. He's an urban guide that fishes the bayous IN Houston. I don't have his phone, but check with the fellows at I fly, The Anglers Edge. They should be able to help you find him.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Sneak onto any of the older golf courses during their off day and fish for lunker bass in the ponds. If you get caught, just tell them you are thinking of joining, and one of the members suggested you see if the fishing would tempt you. Don't eat the bass. Too much insecticide drains into those ponds.
joey

Post by joey »

There are some HUGE carp in most of the bayous around Houston. It's probably not going to be the most pristine environment but you'l have the bayou all to yourself.

-joey
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fly fishing in the Houston Area

Post by W5CDS »

Flyfisher87 wrote:I Just moved to houston and am looking for good places to go fly fishing around the houston area.
On which side of town do you live?
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

Pasadena area
W5CDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by W5CDS »

Flyfisher87 wrote:Pasadena area
Have you considered Armand Bayou? Lower end - you may get anything from LMB to reds/specks. Upper end - LMB, bluegills, gar... Oh! And gators inhabit the whole thing, too! :lol: I doubt you'll get much action from them, though, unless you're using a belly boat (trolling with your legs as bait)! :lol: :lol: :shock:
Puck

Fly Fishing

Post by Puck »

There are a ton of places to fly fish in our area. While living in LaPorte I found that you could launch a kayak in most of the comunities the line Hwy 146, LaPorte, Seabrook, Kemah, etc. all the way down to the island. Some days the fly fishing was better than others.

If you are willing to travel just a little there are also a lot of places to use a fly rod in fresh water. Some are within walking distance, others require a little bit of a drive.

What is your taget species? How far do you want to go? Do you mind sharing water with motorized craft? Small ponds (stock tanks)?

Puck