Thule Xsporter Trailer Pics

xlsportster0

Thule Xsporter Trailer Pics

Post by xlsportster0 »

Check it out. My father in Law bought this trailer at Northern Tool and we added my Thule Xsporter truck rack. Lengthen the tongue an added the tool box in the front and we have instant Kayak Trailer. The Thule Rack fits right on the rails of the trailer with the risers turned around.

Last edited by xlsportster0 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay61
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Thule Xsporter Trailer

Post by Jay61 »

That is a great idea! I have that rack and am now going on the hunt for a trailer! The wife almost killed me when I told her I wanted a new yak trailer ($2300!) so this may be a little easier sell. Thanks!
xlsportster0

Re: Thule Xsporter Trailer Pics

Post by xlsportster0 »

New PICS BUMB! Get to test it out tomorrow. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Rotorman »

wow perfect trailer
Nim Rod

Post by Nim Rod »

That looks great! The "lock in" slots is the upright posts are easy to duplicate. If you wanted to lower the rack you could cut 4 new slots and let your kayaks sit a little closer to the trailer.
waterdog

Post by waterdog »

sweet i've been wanting to do something just like that
looking4red

Post by looking4red »

The trailer worked great. XLsportster and I did a little fishing this morning, Tested out the trailer at San Luis Pass. He got skunked and I only got on 24" red. Hey, the trailer worked great.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

dayum..that is styling and profiling.. ! a great easy set up.. I see you used the malone sea wings.. i like them things.. i upgraded to J-racks as i increased my kayaks and needed more spaced to carry! sweet trailer
topwaterkllr

Post by topwaterkllr »

...and the best looking kayak trailer award goes to.......xlsportster0!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
congrats!!! very neat set-up!!
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

Looks like you have a lot of room between the front tip of the yaks and the truck bed. Dumb question...if you have the yak level above the top of the bed, do you still have to lengthen the tongue? I love that set up. I may have to be guilty of copyright infringement There is a NT close to my home. Do you remember which trailer that is? Or at least the dimensions? thanks, crunch.
CelticKid

Post by CelticKid »

Nice job. What I like about it is the versatility factor. You can remove the rack and use the trailer at any time.
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Post by length »

capn crunch wrote:Looks like you have a lot of room between the front tip of the yaks and the truck bed. Dumb question...if you have the yak level above the top of the bed, do you still have to lengthen the tongue? I love that set up. I may have to be guilty of copyright infringement There is a NT close to my home. Do you remember which trailer that is? Or at least the dimensions? thanks, crunch.
Yes think about going through a dip in the road!
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

Great idea
xlsportster0

Post by xlsportster0 »

Ton
capn crunch wrote:Looks like you have a lot of room between the front tip of the yaks and the truck bed. Dumb question...if you have the yak level above the top of the bed, do you still have to lengthen the tongue? I love that set up. I may have to be guilty of copyright infringement There is a NT close to my home. Do you remember which trailer that is? Or at least the dimensions? thanks, crunch.
The tongue is a little long but it follows the truck great. When we first decided to make the trailer we were going to leave the Thule rack on its lowest setting. After getting it together, I liked being able to see the kayaks in my review mirror. Plus if the Thule rack was at its lowest setting we would have to relocate the tail lights. My sons ATV fits perfect under the kayaks.

The trailer in 4X6 Inside. I went to the Northern tool website but couldn't find this trailer. I think the trailer was under $400.00.

Here is were we bought it. I'm sure they have more.

Gulf Freeway, Texas Store Address:
7994 Bellfort Ave
Houston, TX 77061
hooter

Post by hooter »

The length of the tongue should include the overhang of the kayak plus ½ the width of the towing vehicle to prevent the kayaks from contacting the towing vehicle if the trailer jack-knifes while backing. This also allows you to open the tailgate with the kayaks loaded if you choose to put the rack down lower. The hitch plate adds 4 inches to the tongue. For this trailer, the bar stock was cut to be 8 feet long.
CR
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CR »

I'm "trailer backing impaired". :lol: The longer tongue put the wheels further back and makes the trailer easier to back up.
Vermont Friend

Post by Vermont Friend »

I am curious about extending the tongue. Did you replace the box channel steel original tongue or weld an additional length to it?
Vermont Friend

Post by Vermont Friend »

Thanks xlsporter0 for your idea of installing the Thule Exporter rack on a utility trailer. Hope you won't be offended but your idea prompted my conversion of a new Sure-Trac 5x10 utility trailer to a kayak hauler with plenty of room below the boats for transporting our camping gear. The Thule rack was given to us by our daughter who recently traded her pickup for a Jeep Patriot and no longer needed it. If needed the boat rack cross bar can be easily removed and the loading ramp tailgate reinstalled for transporting the lawn mower or other bigger objects. Our mid-70's aging bodies were resisting continued car topping and we are really excited about lifting one end of the kayaks at a time so we were especially excited about your idea. Following are a fes photos of the conversion. Thanks again.
IMGP0012.jpg
Attachments
IMGP0015.jpg