A plywood box

Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

A plywood box

Post by Lollipop »

I'm getting ready to rebuild my kayak trailer and build another one or two. Current design calls for a box on the back of the trailer to store gear -- paddles, PFD, lights, etc., etc., etc. 6 feet wide, 5 feet tall, and 30" deep. It will have a closet rod so I can hang up 18 PFD. By mounting the box on the back of the trailer, I will be able to load 3 kayaks from each side without having to lift them much. Another 6 can be put on the second deck. As I am getting a little long in the tooth, 12 kayaks appeas to be a good number for a trip, rather than my current 22. By building a second trailer, I can con someone else to drag and load and unload the other trailer.

In the past I have built boxes with angle iron and then covered them with 1/4" or 3/8" plywood. After reading about stitch and glue and the Texas Teepee, I am wondering if either of those construction techniques would be better. And use 4 mm or 6 mm Luan. Whatever I build, it will be painted to hide any epoxy from the sun. One or more shelves can be added to add stability.

Comments, Suggestions, Brickbats.

Lollipop
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A plywood box

Post by bowgarguide »

It should work well.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

In S&G construction the fillets take the place of a traditional wood frame to provide strength and stiffness. The "skin" of the boat (wood/epoxy/fiberglass combination) is part of the overall strenght and stiffness. This provides kind of a lightweight, but strong, monocoque structure. Certainly it would work for a box as you describe. You would probably need to go with at least 6mm--probably more like 8mm-- and add braces, cleats, and hangers for the rod, etc.. So, you basically end up putting most of the framework back in! In this case I'd think that a basic 1X2 frame with cleats for the rods, etc. would be a better option--if I'm understanding exactly what you want.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

Gerald,
It looks like you understand what I am thinking about doing. Another advantage of the box in back is that I can run a support across the back and clip the stern of each kayak to the support. This will help keep kayaks from moving forward or backwards and I will have a nice place to write the kayak names so others can load the trailer when I am too worn out.

Thanks for the help.
Lollipop
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Any time you can get other people to load the boats it just means you are smart...