Co Camping trip

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Co Camping trip

Post by bowgarguide »

It is that time of the year again, bow season in Co. This year was going to be a little different we both had the modified teardrops that we had built,no tents this year :D
We met up at the flying J and Darrel came by to see us off.

We headed out ,set our speed at 65 where it was legal . The trailers pulled great behind the little four banger and the gas milage on this trip was just about the same as running empty. West Texas isnt long on scenery besides cactus and windmills
and we had about 600 miles we wanted to run that day. We had both packed ice chest with fried chicken and a roast courtisey of my better half,little cheese chips and drinks we could just keep rolling. If you notice there are two fuel tanks on the front of the trailers,200 miles is about the range of the gas tanks in the jeeps so we each had ten gallons to spare. We did use them once on a long strech in New Mexico. The day was pretty uneventful and we just sat back and rolled.
That night we rolled into Santa Rosa New Mexico about dark,there is a large truckstop there ,we parked put on the coffe for the next morning and crashed .648 miles that day. It sure was nice to crawl in my own bed flip the fantastic fan on and crash. With the fans we were comfortable.
Got up the next morning headed for Pogossa Co. about four and a half hours,the scenery was getting better :D

We drove threw Santa Fe and on up to Chama, stoped there to eat and Glen found out there is a lot of difference in Tex Mex Mexican food and New mexico
going to break this here
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Co Camping trip

Post by bowgarguide »

After Glen drank a few glasses of tea to cool the peppers off we headed across the border into Colo. We stopped got our license and headed up into the mountains found a spot to camp and pulled in. We pulled one trailer in then set two canopies up then backed the other trailer in,that way both doors were facing in and we had a 10 by 20 covered area between us.

We hit it just right parked the last trailer and the storm hit high winds rained heavy and then started to hail . It covered the ground in just a few minutes but we were dry and comfy.
We were there hunting elk but we saw a lot of wildlife ,mule deer,grouse,biggest red headed wood pecker I ever saw,black bear , ducks a lot of hummingbirds, rock pigeons and of course all kinds of squirrels.
We were climbing and walking 8 to 10 miles a day at altitudes from 9000 to 11000 ft this old flat lander needed a airpack. Saw some elk but just couldn't close the deal. We sure had a blast saw some beautiful scenery

We had planed to stay a ten days but had some things come up that we had to go home a couple days early,no elk but camping in this awesome beauty is enough.

Headed back to the house and twelve hours latter stopped outside Abilene Tx ate at a truck stop went out and crashed.
Break it here
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

I sure was jealous as ya'll pulled out of Fly'N J. I am glad it was a good trip and wish I was there. We have a few trips planned for this year so You and Glenn can make it up to me. i hope we get to put alot of miles on our three trailers this winter. Whether any thing is caught/killed we are gonna have a good time.
Darrell
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

We got up the next morning and headed on home ,another 225 miles.
The Tepee and the Coyote functioned flawlessly ,it was so nice to set camp up in 5 minutes ,no wet tents clothes warm and compy,I used the fantastic fan and lights off a car battery for 8 days ,the fan ran 16 hours of that and needed charging the last day. Used two single burner stoves and used one bottle apiece,Trailer pulled easy and with very little increase in gas usage. Oh and the best thing was sleeping on a good mattres listening to the elk bugle.
Now the downside we got stopped on the highway so folks could take pics of the trailers,just stopping to fuel I bet I unlocked
my trailer a dozen times to show folks the inside and the two jeeps running together with the two trailers nearly caused some wrecks.
To sum this up a great trip with a good friend bueatiful scenery lots of wildlife to watch and a couple great little trailers,just dont know why I waited this long to build them.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Looks like a good year coming up for the three Brazos kids.
Ron
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Awesome photos. Colorado has great mountain scenery. Too bad you didn't bag an elk.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Awesome report! That makes me want to do the trek, however my camper does cause my 6 banger to drink the gas and that's a long way to go at 9 mpg!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Nightwing
I guess I am mellowing out ,I use to have to catch some thing are kill something. Now it is just a bonus . The planning, folks you go with,scenery and campfires are plenty now.
Paddletrucker we arnt getting any younger better grab that brass ball anytime you can.
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

8) Now i'm going outside to see if my Jeep is still there :lol:

Mike
RandallW20
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by RandallW20 »

Those are some nifty little DIY trailers you got there.
You have any pics of the inside and plans/price sheet of how to build and how much they cost?

Thanks!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Sure is some beautiful country and can imagine how wonderful it was. :D
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

RandallW20 wrote:Those are some nifty little DIY trailers you got there.
You have any pics of the inside and plans/price sheet of how to build and how much they cost?

Thanks!
:D Randall...Go over to the boat builders section and do a search...there's a build along thread on there w/alot of good info. Man's got him a deal, there...he's also causing me to study the backyard for shop space! You might want to limit your visits to the BB section...you be having more projects than you know what to do with, then your girl friend says something rude...like you ain't mowed the yard since 2005 and...well you've probably heard most of this before. Between building and fishing, man's hours are limited!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Randle
I do a lot of outdoor stuff bowhunting all over Texas,at least one out of state trip a year and
built this little trailer for that. weighs about a 1000 lbs so I can pull it behind anything,dry warm and cool and comfortable.
I have around a thousand in the trailer at this time.
Ron
LC yakr

Post by LC yakr »

I love Colorado as it is a great place to visit since my brother lives there. I also have quite a bit of my work that requires me to travel to CO Springs often...Love the fishing there!

Very nice DIY trailer too!
RandallW20
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by RandallW20 »

Cool, thanks guys.

Bowgarguide, thats exactly why I was wanting one. We like to travel alot. And about 2 months ago when we were up in Colorado the g/f was getting sick of all the rain and such and wanted some place to go while it poured down other than the tent. So we started talking about trailers. I think this may be my project :wink:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

From your photos, I know that area well. I looks like you camped off Price Lakes Road below Navajo Peak. I have seen plenty of black bear, elk, grouse mule deer there, but not usually when I have the right tag. Nice Report!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

karstopo
You are dead on the location. I knew posting the pic of the peak folks that had been there would recognize it. It realy is a neat place and I have taken a lot of animals out of there.
I had one chance at an elk cow but it would have been two days packing it out so I let it go.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Randle
I dont know what you pull with. If it is a four banger I would stay with this size if its a six or bigger I would build it 6 ft tall.
It really is nice to set camp up in just a couple minutes .
I am not finished with the inside yet still more cabinets to build but it is campable and very comfortable.Have over three thousand pulling miles on it and no problems.
Ron
PS If I can be of any help just pm me