Ascend kayak????

tbeak

Ascend kayak????

Post by tbeak »

This is one that Bass Pro is marketing. It looks like the Manta Ray. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it, and could give feed back.
Thanks
IronTexas

Re: Ascend kayak????

Post by IronTexas »

Yeah i got the Ascend A12T got it about 3 months ago took it out she handles great. Its my first yak so cant compare it to any of the other ones out there but i was comfortable for the 3 hours i spent on it when i went fishing. For the price its a good yak IMO. I like it i got the basic model cuz i wanted to rig it up my own way so i would be comfortable i got a few pics ill post for you if you want.
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

yea please do. Im thinking about getting that one as my first as well.
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Here are a few i got but i have more on my comp at home im working now i will post more later.

Here is one with my daughter modeling one of my fishing poles.

Me and the baby

and here it is all basic

I rigged up the crate on my own with some help from my cuzin. Got the basic model cuz i wouldnt use the rod holders that come on the one that is rigged up for fishing. I got three rod holders on the crate. Iwill post pics of my crate later but i think this is a good starter kayak and its pretty cheap i payed 411 for mine.
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

Looks nice.
Does anyone know if it can be outfitted with a rudder?
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Now that i dont know maybe some one can chime in with that because i was wondering the same thing myself....
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

Anyone take it btb? How does it handle?
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

Ha hard enough to ge ta review of it.
DerekLF

Post by DerekLF »

I would just like to add that myself, my brother and brother in law all bought Ascned kayaks a few weeks ago at BPS.

I got the A10 (basic model) and they got the D10s which are the same 10 foot sit inside model with an extra padded seat cover, foot braces, and paddle holders.
I would have likely purchased the D10 as well, but they only had 2. I am ordering all of the parts individually for mine, and might come out a few bucks cheaper, but the seat padding does not look as sleek.

We are all beginners, but after a couple of large pond trips and one trip down a river, we are very happy with our purchases.
I am going to purchase another ascend kayak for my wife, I just haven't decided if I want to go the A10 route and add the braces/rigging myself, or go ahead and purchase the D10.

If anyone has any questions in particular I would be happy to answer them the best I can.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I've never heard of that brand. It looks very uncomfortable and that tiny hatch opening could be a problem. It must be pretty inexpensive to have so many happy owners posting. Use it for a year or two and you'll likely get half your money back when you sell it to get something better. Lots of people say anything that gets you on the water is a good kayak but I think It's better to save up and quality buy from the start.
DerekLF

Post by DerekLF »

Miguel wrote:I've never heard of that brand. It looks very uncomfortable and that tiny hatch opening could be a problem. It must be pretty inexpensive to have so many happy owners posting. Use it for a year or two and you'll likely get half your money back when you sell it to get something better. Lots of people say anything that gets you on the water is a good kayak but I think It's better to save up and quality buy from the start.
I have the sit inside model, so I can't comment on the small hatch of the SOT, but compared to the other sit inside kayaks carried at Bass Pro Shops, I think the Ascend models compare well for the price. Compared to the similarly priced Old Town Vapor XTs, the Ascneds were obviously molded better and had better seats and braces.
I am not saying that a $400 Ascend has all of the features of a $900 other brand kayak, but if you are willing to work with adding what you want, I think the core is as good.

All of this only applies to the sit insides, my BPS did not have any of the sit on tops in stock for me to look at.

I would also like to add since I saw that someone said it looked like a different model rebranded - these kayaks are made by Tracker marine, but all of the accessories are made by Seadogs (footbraces), Attwood (seat), or Surf to Summit.
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

Miguel wrote:I've never heard of that brand. It looks very uncomfortable and that tiny hatch opening could be a problem. It must be pretty inexpensive to have so many happy owners posting. Use it for a year or two and you'll likely get half your money back when you sell it to get something better. Lots of people say anything that gets you on the water is a good kayak but I think It's better to save up and quality buy from the start.
I am definitely no expert, but I have been looking at the various brands for the last month trying to find the best bang for my buck under $500 or so. We are buying one for me and one for my wife. I've decided on a SOT that will handle me easily (6'3" - 250 lbs.). I've decided on the FS12T. It's rigged for fishing and has received great reviews. I've also read just about every review of other yaks similarly equipped up to about $1500 or so. For the money, this looks a great yak. It's what I'm getting for myself (wife has settled on a lime green Old Town), as soon as I get my utility trailer modified to handle them.

It seems to me that if you've never heard of it, you should at least check into something before cutting it down so much. A lot of us don't want to spend $1000-$1500 on something that we won't be out on every day. This one fits the bill for me and I'll report back soon on how it goes.
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

I been out on mine and it is a great yak I am very impressed with how it tracked and handled the waves while I was out fishing. I sat in it for about 3 hours very comfortably and didnt have a problem with it. I dont use the front hatch so it didnt bother me how small it was. I got the A12T because I rigged it myself which saved me some money to buy the other stuff like paddles and anchor. Besides the way it is rigged everything is right where I want it :dance: Its a great yak for anyone who wants to kayak but cant get out as often as the rest of us. Its price is reasonable and it really is a great kayak Bass Pro shop did a great job when they designed it.I love the high back rest :lol: :wink: and no i dont work for them just a satisfied customer :D

Tight Lines Brothers
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I thought pointing out some obvious flaws in the kayak might be helpful to some with no experience. Everyone wants their kayak to be well designed and made from quality materials but I think you could do better shopping around a bit more. Shopping for a kayak should be fun. Take your time and learn along the way.

There are other places to buy, Bass Pro has a limited selection in my opinion. If you have a small budget go with a used kayak to start. There's a reason those off brands are so inexpensive. There are plenty of good kayaks for sale on this site and others.

Writing glowing reviews for every kayak made does no one any good. Once again, that's just my opinion.
IronTexas

Post by IronTexas »

Yeah your right shop around look at every kayk FTU has a nice selection as does ACK I went to both places but this one was the one I liked it felt right for me. To each his own whats right for me might not be whats right for you so like Miguel said shop around find what works for you and what does not then make your decision. This is the yak I picked I liked it but hey you dont have to get it if you dont want to. And I dont think you should get on here talking about a kayak just cuz its not as expensive as other kayaks or if you have never tried it. I dont bad mouth products I have never tried. I take everyones suggestions and opions in and make my own decisions like I said before to each his own we all have different tastes. So make your decision on your own just be open minded.

Tight Lines Brothers :dance:
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

I recently purchased this Kayak for my Cousin down in the RGV where there is no Bass Pro Shops. I had been kayaking for over year and had gone through the process of learning about the different kayaks and what to look for in good kayaks. With my limited but plentiful knowledge and having paddled many different kayaks before settling on my Ocean Kayak Big Game I looked at the Ascend for a while and I have to say that I think for the money it is a good kayak. It is rotomolded like other high end kayaks and is made of thick plastic. My cousin really liked it and I even gave it a test paddle and found it to be a good kayak as well. To me it is definately better than the Academy Pelican which has thin plastic and is made of two pieces welded together.
SeaEagle

Post by SeaEagle »

I know this topic has some time on it but maybe it will help people who haven't decided on one of these...I just bought one about 2 weeks ago (FS12T) from reading all the reviews and such. Never owned one before so really was in the dark. Went with the reviews. Before you spend 500 bucks on one of these do this. Turn it upside down and push on the bottom. Mine is so thin I can EASILY flex the bottom in the middle with one finger. Scratches very easy. IT WILL WARP. First time out for about 2 hours I had almost a gallon of water in the hull on a flat lake. After further review I found one of the scupper holes defective in it wasn't welded properly and had about a quarter inch crack in the seam where the bead of plastic didn't seal. Broke out the ol trusty J&B welded and sealed it off. If I would have just known how flimsy these Kayaks are I would have done like I did after buying it and put in another 250 dollars and get a real kayak like I have now. Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler. Do the same test with that one and see how you feel...Live and learn I guess...Maybe I can give that Ascend to Good Will.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Thanks for posting SeaEagle. It's hard to find any negative reviews for kayaks. No matter how bad they are new owners think they're great because they have not paddled anything better. I'm sure they all don't come with holes in them.

Many problems don't show up until the boats been used for a year or more. Try getting warranty service or replacement parts for these off brand kayaks when the problems start turning up down the road and the proud owners may regret the purchase.

It's true these kayaks are inexpensive but wouldn't you rather buy quality. If you already own this kayak don't let my narrow view point bother you.
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

SeaEagle wrote:I know this topic has some time on it but maybe it will help people who haven't decided on one of these...I just bought one about 2 weeks ago (FS12T) from reading all the reviews and such. Never owned one before so really was in the dark. Went with the reviews. Before you spend 500 bucks on one of these do this. Turn it upside down and push on the bottom. Mine is so thin I can EASILY flex the bottom in the middle with one finger. Scratches very easy. IT WILL WARP. First time out for about 2 hours I had almost a gallon of water in the hull on a flat lake. After further review I found one of the scupper holes defective in it wasn't welded properly and had about a quarter inch crack in the seam where the bead of plastic didn't seal. Broke out the ol trusty J&B welded and sealed it off. If I would have just known how flimsy these Kayaks are I would have done like I did after buying it and put in another 250 dollars and get a real kayak like I have now. Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler. Do the same test with that one and see how you feel...Live and learn I guess...Maybe I can give that Ascend to Good Will.
Or, maybe sell it to me instead! Don't know if you are in N. Texas, but I'm interested if you really want to get rid of it.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

They look like decent kayaks, but as mentioned earlier, like everything in life you get what you pay for. The hatches are very small on these yaks is the only thing I can see just looking at them and not having had one on the water. I liked the crate, but what do you do about drinks or snacks? If spending any amount of time on the water, it's good to be prepared. That's good it was comfortable after 3 hrs on the water, but what you really want to look at is how comfortable it is after 6-8 hrs on the water! Another thing is you need to look at who is marketing them, do you really want to deal with BPS if something fails or starts leaking? In my dealings with them, I was none too impressed with the way they handle anything, but that's big corporation for you. Not bashing anyone who has already bought the ascend, if you have one that's great, at least you can get out on the water. Afterall that is what this site is all about, but if it were me IMHO, I would take the 400 plus that the ascend costs and scour the classified boards on here and you may get lucky on Craigslist. Dang near everyday you can find good deals on some VERY good kayaks. :)
SeaEagle

Post by SeaEagle »

ETex2 wrote:
SeaEagle wrote:I know this topic has some time on it but maybe it will help people who haven't decided on one of these...I just bought one about 2 weeks ago (FS12T) from reading all the reviews and such. Never owned one before so really was in the dark. Went with the reviews. Before you spend 500 bucks on one of these do this. Turn it upside down and push on the bottom. Mine is so thin I can EASILY flex the bottom in the middle with one finger. Scratches very easy. IT WILL WARP. First time out for about 2 hours I had almost a gallon of water in the hull on a flat lake. After further review I found one of the scupper holes defective in it wasn't welded properly and had about a quarter inch crack in the seam where the bead of plastic didn't seal. Broke out the ol trusty J&B welded and sealed it off. If I would have just known how flimsy these Kayaks are I would have done like I did after buying it and put in another 250 dollars and get a real kayak like I have now. Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler. Do the same test with that one and see how you feel...Live and learn I guess...Maybe I can give that Ascend to Good Will.
Or, maybe sell it to me instead! Don't know if you are in N. Texas, but I'm interested if you really want to get rid of it.
Been fishin Lake Sam Rayburn this week. I live near Beaumont TX, don't know if you want to drive down this far but I don't want the FS12T It is Sand in color. Even though it is practically new it has some scratches from minor use and a little J&B Weld in one scupper hole on the side. Plug should still fit. Bring me 200 bucks and you can have it. Other than that I'll store it somewhere. Send me PM if intrested
SeaEagle

Post by SeaEagle »

Just thought I would add some pics in case anyone thought I was Bull$#!*in' about the Ascend FS12T Kayak I bought... Several members here have shown interest in buying this kayak from me and I show them the pics before they decide. I don't mind taking a hit "once" for it was my fault for going with reviews only and not putting my hands on one before wasting my money. At least here everyone can see what you would be getting your self in to trying to save a few hundred bucks rather than purchasing something with some back bone.
Attachments
ascendfs12t.jpg
ascendfs12t.jpg (22.72 KiB) Viewed 17414 times
2ascendfs12t.jpg
2ascendfs12t.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 17414 times
3ascendfs12t.jpg
3ascendfs12t.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 17414 times
SeaEagle

Post by SeaEagle »

I no longer have this boat.
~jkilgore~

Post by ~jkilgore~ »

I bought the Ascend FS12T about 6 months ago and have had it on the water 12 times (3 freshwater trips, 9 saltwater trips) now with no issues. I have had it BTB twice and both times were what I would consider successful trips. As far as I am concerned I have already gotten my money's worth and will continue to accomplish my fishing needs with this vessel. I recommend attending a demo day or two before buying and test paddle as many kayak's as possible before buying, as I did. Putt your hands on the product and ask questions. There are a lot of good kayak's on the market today and only you can make the final decision.