Post your trailer!!!!

Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by Thinwater skinner »

JDBR: Really nice paint job... Are you in the business?
JDBR

Post by JDBR »

No....I'm not in the painting or fabrication business. This was just a backyard project. I sprayed the trailer using a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun.
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

This is a work in progress but as of now it works as is. I will be replacing the lights, trading out the 8" tires for 12" ones, adding a floor, building up some sides and adding a rack to be able to haul more kayaks. Everyone make sure you post your trailers on here for everyone to see and get ideas.
Attachments
6-26 011.jpg
Tomagus
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Tomagus »

Finished this one a few months ago....4x8 HF trailer...used 2x4's and plywood..wanted a place to store gear
Attachments
trailer1.jpg
PICT00101a.jpg
yakfisher

Post by yakfisher »

here's mine pics from old to new but now have so many new ideas. this was an old dilly trailer I picked up for $100 bucks. total cost about $600. frame is undercoated, 1/2" treated plywood floor thats been truck bed liner coated top and bottom, new wheels and tires, spare mounted underneath, changed coupler from 1 7/8" to a locking 2" added a plastic truck box for gear, my Thule rack off my truck, all led lights and painted to match my truck. took about a week to build working in the eves and one weekend. pulls like it's not there and when turning stays in the track of the truck so no turning wide to keep from curb jumping.
Attachments
day one
day one
so much easier to load
so much easier to load
first trip out
first trip out
HandiKap Bowhunter

Post by HandiKap Bowhunter »

Man these are some great ideas. I will have to start looking for one for me to build. Thanks for all the designs that are now rolling through my head!!!
msr

Post by msr »

FYI, for those of you who are thinking about one of the HF trailers. Many outdoor magazines have a 20% off coupon in them. I saw an ad in the local paper a few weeks ago with the HF trailers on sale and thought I would take the coupon down and see if they both worked. I picked up a new folding 4' x 8' trailer for 50% off. That will help cover the modifications or upgrades I plan for it.
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

There are so many trailers on this thread I will have to take more than a day or two to look over it! :clap:

BigDozer66
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

smitty24 wrote:I wanted to add pics of my trailer since I stumbled upon this thread when looking for ideas last spring. I live in Washington state and when I found this site, and this thread specifically, it helped me out a ton. The funny thing is, I'm moving to Corpus next month, closing on our house on Padre Island June 15th. When I found this place I had no idea I'd be living down there only a year later! Anyway, here's my simple setup. It's a harbor freight cheapo trailer, and I welded some square stock to the side, slid a larger piece over it and mounted a flat piece of steel and the yakima carriers to that. I made the tongue movable, but I need to cut a foot or two off. I'm planning on adding a coffin type box in the middle so I can carry everything inside and keep it locked, but I want it to be removable too, so I can still use it as a regular trailer to haul stuff. It was actually pretty easy to do, but I wouldn't have done it without seeing what everyone here had done before me. You guys gave me the confidence to do it myself, and some great ideas. I should say thanks to everyone, and I can't wait to get down there and be a part of your community!

I painted all the bare steel to match the harbor freight red afterwards..

I love this one. I have the same Harbor Freight Trailer, but I was thinking of just using the existing stake pockets and treated 2x4's (trimmed to fit pockets), bolted into the existing holes, and a 2x4 frame. Will be hauling 2 kayaks, and gear below. I'm wondering if the existing pockets with this set-up would be strong enough???
msr

Post by msr »

I am looking at mine (the existing pockets) and don't think I would be comfortable with the strength of a 2"x4" holding my kayak with the wind buffeting it.
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

I would think that if you do it correctly with all of the needed bracing and lockwashers you should be ok. Also I would probably not make the rack too high up. I would probably keep it to a minimum of 2' up off the trailer. This will allow you to still have space to store things beneath the kayaks but not have the kayaks too high which will help because depending on your towing vehicle it should block most of the air. Also the longer your 2x4's are coming out of your stakes the more room they have to flex. I would also ensure that you purchase only treated lumber and keep an eye on your rack as time goes on. Wood can be a very strong material but it does deteriorate alot faster, Don;t store your trailer directly in the sun and make sure to rinse it after trips to the salt and I think you will be fine. I made some crossbars for my Ocean Kayak Big Game so I could haul my kayak ontop of my Explorer which had the side rails but no crossbars out of 2x3 wood and they have worked fine. But I only put these on my car when I need them and they go right back into storage afterwards. You should also look into other materials such as super strut which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old Skool Hookers
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Old Skool Hookers »

here is mine but been thinking of maybe selling it too. nothing for sure just playing with the idea. wanting to start another yak project.
Attachments
YAK 003.jpg
YAK 002.jpg
YAK 001.jpg
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

Just giving this thread a bump, as I am loving it and looking at any and all ideas for rebuilding my Harbor Freight trailer (coming up next week, maybe).

I've heard some cons about the "J" yak mounts and carrying them on their side. Seems to create lots of crosswind problems. Anyone care to comment?

And extending my 4'x8' trailer's tongue for a 12-13' yak. How far?
msr

Post by msr »

I have not figured out how I will secure my kayaks on my HF 4' x 8' trailer yet but my Prism is laying on it now and I don't see a need to extend the tongue. The Prism is right at 15' if not a tad longer. I remember in Texas an item could not extend more than 4' past the end of a trailer so I will set it up to ride just under that length out the back.
smitty24

Post by smitty24 »

ETex2 wrote:Just giving this thread a bump, as I am loving it and looking at any and all ideas for rebuilding my Harbor Freight trailer (coming up next week, maybe).

I've heard some cons about the "J" yak mounts and carrying them on their side. Seems to create lots of crosswind problems. Anyone care to comment?

I've got my yaks o their side and haven't had any issues with crosswind, and they tuck in nicely behind the tow vehicle. I made my tongue adjustable and way over estimated how much I needed. I'll post a pic of mine and it seems to be perfect for my 12'ers, allowing me to open the rear hatch on the veicle with the trailer attached and make as tight a turn as needed. I could probably fit 14'ers as well, but I'm going to leave some space on the tongue to adjust just in case. Mine is extended about 2' as is.

msr

Post by msr »

Nice idea. I did think I might have an issue in turning radius with the Prism on.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

You are all Brilliant, what a bunch of great ideas :)
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

My Malone trailer setup for 3 kayaks. I put my 16' Hobie Adventure on the middle saddles for perspective. I didn't strap it down to the trailer since this is just for a photo op.

The saddles are Landshark saddles from Yakima and the J-cradles are from SwagMan.

Whether fully loaded for a family trip with all of our kayaks (Tarpon 160i, Hobie Revolution, and Hobie Adventure) or loaded with just one kayak, the trailer works very well.

Note that I have a piece of plywood with indoor/outdoor carpet at the bottom of the trailer. With kayaks loaded up, I can still carry a couple of ice chests down there. The previous trailer owner installed it and I find it very useful.
Last edited by habanerojooz on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Did you build that rod rack and fishfinder holder or buy them? If you bought them, what brand and where? They look great. Very impressive!!

Ray
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Harold Ray wrote:Did you build that rod rack and fishfinder holder or buy them? If you bought them, what brand and where? They look great. Very impressive!!

Ray
Thanks. The rod holder idea came from others here on TKF. It is nothing but 1.5" PVC with standard PVC parts. It was painted after assembly and then the reflective tape was added. I insert it into the flush mount rod holders that were built-in to my Hobie.

The fishfinder holder (and the rod holder) is a RAM product. I bought the RAM parts from: http://www.themountdepot.com/category_s/271.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a better picture of the fishfinder holder: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=146632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

ETex2 wrote:J

It is easy to calculate.

Center your longest kayak on the trailer where the rack would be. From that point add 1/2 with width of your vehicle, plus a margin of safety of at least 6". That is where your trailer hitch should be. That will allow you to not scrape your vehicle or damage a kayak if in backing up your trailer ends up at 90 degrees from the direction of your vehicle. (not a good situation. It will also allow you to make as sharp a turn as your vehicle will allow.

The longer distance between the trailer hitch and the wheels of the trailer, the easier it is to back up a trailer but the harder it is to maneuver in tight quarters.

You will never come up with the perfect trailer. I've rebuilt mine 4 times and am planning on another rebuild soon. At one time I could carry 22 kayaks and had an electric winch to stack kayaks on the 3rd level, but I have cut it back so it will only carry 16, and have eliminated the electric winch since it was so slow.

Lollipop
scenicgreenrr

Post by scenicgreenrr »

Thought I'd post our trailer :lol: 30' toy hauler - when the golf cart isn't in the trailer, the kayaks ride in comfort.
035.JPG
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

heres my new trailer....smaller than my old one (sold to a member) but has more room for junk.....its still not done....fender, lights, paint

its made out of new 2 3/8 pipe. got to try my hand out at pipe saddles and pipe welding, haven't did that stuff since high school. turned out GREAT.... its higher than my old one too, more off roading!!!!

in front of the bucket im gonna make a small grill....so i can grill food at the beach!!!!

actually dont have that much in it..... pipe was 30 bucks for 32 ft, axle and springs, hangers where scrapped, new bearings and one wheel i got for free!!! (jusintime)

i actuall, like it better than my old one......Joys of having a welder and tourch!!
Attachments
SSPX0033.jpg
SSPX0034.jpg
jusintime

Post by jusintime »

4x4kayak2112 wrote:Joys of having a welder and tourch!!
Yea.....Thanks to your DAD !
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

my girls father should take ALL the credit for this one! very well made.
Attachments
rockport321101.jpg
trailer.jpg
trailer.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 41189 times