Camping - Helpful Hints

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Camping - Helpful Hints

Post by Reefmonkey »

Lollipop wrote:
bbop wrote: I'm looking at getting an ax.
Axes while camping scare me. I grew up using one and have never had an accident with one, but when someone does have an accident with an ax, you need care beyond what most of us are trained to handle. A bow saw will do most things an ax will do, only better and safer.

Lollipop
And is a lot lighter and more portable than an axe as well. I agree with lollipop here. When I am volunteering on trail maintenance crews, every once and a while you see a guy with an axe, and I give him a wide berth. A bow saw is safer, easier to carry, and you can get more work done with it because it doesn't fatigue you as fast as swinging an axe.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

As somebody who has never done the kayak/river camping thing I'm severely jealous after seeing some of these pictures on the threads.

I've done plenty of camping and plenty of kayaking but other than camping on the beach and yakking the surf I've never combined them.

How about info on put-in/take-out spots, safe places to leave your vehicles, shuttle services, etc?
bbop

Post by bbop »

Reefmonkey wrote:
Lollipop wrote:
bbop wrote: I'm looking at getting an ax.
Axes while camping scare me. I grew up using one and have never had an accident with one, but when someone does have an accident with an ax, you need care beyond what most of us are trained to handle. A bow saw will do most things an ax will do, only better and safer.

Lollipop
And is a lot lighter and more portable than an axe as well. I agree with lollipop here. When I am volunteering on trail maintenance crews, every once and a while you see a guy with an axe, and I give him a wide berth. A bow saw is safer, easier to carry, and you can get more work done with it because it doesn't fatigue you as fast as swinging an axe.
I like this bow saw thing guys--
Thanks!
Redshift

Post by Redshift »

Get a hammock! Makes setting up camp a breeze! It's very low impact, lightweight, and super comfortable...

bbop

Post by bbop »

Wents to Lowes today and got a bow saw and machete, Thanks for the input!
Sand Trout

Post by Sand Trout »

Redshift wrote:Get a hammock! Makes setting up camp a breeze! It's very low impact, lightweight, and super comfortable...

Hey Redshift, where was this pic taken? Looks beautiful.
Redshift

Post by Redshift »

34.77786, -94.69885
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

Redshift wrote:34.77786, -94.69885
Cedar Lake, in far East-Central Oklahoma?
Redshift

Post by Redshift »

Yep... That was one of the stops on our 4 day Winding Stair hike. Yes, I would recommend this hike to a friend!
Brasos

Post by Brasos »

A space saving technique I use is breaking eggs into a Nalgene bottle - it will hold 18 eggs.
coloradontexas

Post by coloradontexas »

anyone got pictures of their yak loaded for camping? Would love to see how ya'll are doin it.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Here you go
Ron
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

2 Words:BEANIE WEENIES.....or any other canned grub.Stinks if you go camping and rains enough to not be able to make a fire or start a portable cooker.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

coloradontexas wrote:anyone got pictures of their yak loaded for camping? Would love to see how ya'll are doin it.
My Setup for 4 days on the Lower Neches (BA steinhagen to Evadale, TX)

One of the other guys

Notice how LOW the yaks are sitting in the water even without paddlers!!!!!! My gear will be cut down DRASTICALLY for the upcoming Devils river trip!!!!!!
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

OT Vapor 12' is my floating camper. I cut out the rear storage area wear as a large and small dry bags can be stored under the hatch cover with a cooler strapped down on top. There is a lot of storage room under the front deck. Cord is tied to bags and clipped with in reach to pull from under the deck, They are pushed in place with my paddle. When I decide to go to sleep dry bags from under deck are lashed topsides. My 6'4" frame slides in my tent on top of a sleeping pad in the cockpit for a floating nights sleep. Just find a protected cove tie off bow and stern and set up camp.
The Vapor's wide flank allows it to handle a load (236lbs. human ballast & gear) and sail amazingly well with my 9'x4' V sail. The sail also serves as a rain shelter when pulled back over the cocpit. Can't wait for cooler weather for overnighters. Anyone game, let me know.
Early morning on Grapevine after night tied up between the trees.
Early morning on Grapevine after night tied up between the trees.
Mallards that woke me up.
Mallards that woke me up.
Peaceful night paddling
Peaceful night paddling
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

coloradontexas wrote:anyone got pictures of their yak loaded for camping? Would love to see how ya'll are doin it.
I do not have photos of my kayak loaded and on the water, but I have photos of two companions who joined me for a trip on Boquillas Canyon. We had agreed to each take not more than 76 pounds of gear. That included 3 gallons of water each (25 pounds). When we showed up at the launch site, one of the participants, an avid backpacker, showed up with what he described as a little more than 76 pounds of gear. The other gentleman packed most of his gear neatly in his sit inside.

Lollipop
Attachments
2010-02-24-Boquillas Canyon 085-rs.JPG
2kitchen sinks.jpg
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I think I spotted the Kitchen Sink in the last pic.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I'd need a defib machine and a pretty nurse to blow me up if I carried all that stuff and tried to paddle far. :shock:
Was he setting up camp for the summer or what??
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

He was camping two nights on the river and loved being contrary. He insisted that he needed it all, so he brought it all. We insisted that he paddle it and not litter the river.

Lollipop
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Cool thread.

When bringing eggs to eat, open them beforehand, and put them all into a jar or similar container. You won't have to worry about them breaking, and they take up less space. When it is time to cook, pour them out slowly (so you don't pour too many), and they will plop out with the same ratio of white to yolk.
volyak

Post by volyak »

M.saxatilis wrote:Most fast food reataruants buy their pickles in five gallon plastic buckets. These have water tight and air tight sealing lids. I ask the manager for a pickle bucket and he knows exactly what I mean. Simply wash them out with a bit of soap and water till the smell is gone...and viola!! A floatable watertight container that fits rather nicely in a canoe or (probably) a kayak.

It will protect a sleeping bag, clothing, food, and with a bit of foam padding most electronics small enough to fit inside. Costs only a few minuets of time and doubles as camp chair when embelished with a pillow.

Still have the one I carried with me on my first canoe trip down the Brazos back in "78."

M.saxatilis
Can't have too many 5 gallon plastic buckets. I get 'em at the donut shop. Their icing comes in these buckets.
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

Getting ready for a camping trip this weekend and decided to revisit this old post.
I'm ready to roll as soon as I figure out where to lash the kayaks.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
timbo
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by timbo »

Coat the bottom of your pots, coffee pot, etc. with a bar of soap when you cook over a fire or stove. This will make it easy to wash the soot, or gas residue off later.

The only stove I carry is a Coleman backpacker stove now. It does take up any room, I can fry fish, cook coffee, boil water or anything else I want to do with it. I've taken it on several weekend hiking trips and it's never failed me. Takes about 5 minutes to boil water.
SurfFishLife

Post by SurfFishLife »

I keep like items in small stuff sacks. I know which ones are my camping sacks, so I can grab and go.

Large plastic tarp and small diameter rope to make a big rainfly. We set this up as soon as we get to camp. If a shower (or downpour) happens, we have a place to stay dry and somewhere to stash things that need to stay dry. Depending on the setup, we can sometimes get a tent or two underneath.

Small bag of MatchLight charcoal. Makes it very easy to cook the first meal and get the campfire going.

I bought a 3-man (will hold 2 men) "water-resistant" (that means it will get wet, but it doesn't want to) Coleman tent years ago for $60, then spent a couple bucks on some seam sealer. I brushed all the seams with seam sealer the first time I set it up. I have been in two torrential downpours and a few rainshowers and have never had one drop of water inside my tent. When I first bought it, my friends with $200+ tents told me it would never stay dry. It's the only tent I've had for the last 15 years or so. They've been through 2 or 3 tents during that time.

My friend bought a small inflatable raft, and rigged up a stationary rudder for it so it would track straight. We load it up with firewood and whatever else and tow it behind the yaks to the campsite. He also bought a hand-cranked blender and makes frozen margaritas.