This is how we do tarpon on the east coast!

KayakMike

This is how we do tarpon on the east coast!

Post by KayakMike »

Enjoy my friends in Tejas!

Totally sick moment around timecode 3:10 ;)
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Re: This is how we do tarpon on the east coast!

Post by Living Waters »

YEA BABY!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!!
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

Nice. I like posting your equipment specifications as well. Making Texans jealous = Priceless (I grew up in Titusville).

How did you do your camera set up? I thought it was some kind of hat camera, but apparently not. Would love to see pics of how you did it.

Thanx for posting.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Nice video and great catch, congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

vanjr wrote:Nice. I like posting your equipment specifications as well. Making Texans jealous = Priceless (I grew up in Titusville).

How did you do your camera set up? I thought it was some kind of hat camera, but apparently not. Would love to see pics of how you did it.

Thanx for posting.
I lived in East Orlando for 12 years. So you must know about mosquito lagoon. I used to bank fish when I lived there and would catch trout and sheep head in the inter coastal. We used to also wade into the flats out at sebastian inlet and catch all kinds of different stuff.
KayakMike

Post by KayakMike »

I used a GoPro HD. Originally I did a lot of shooting using the head mount, but you move your head too much ;) So I found this PERFECT setup called a RadPole - it's made by the guys at http://www.kayalu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - truly a perfect device for me because I use the RAM Tube rod holder for my central holder on the spine of the yak in front of me.

The RadPole is a perfect mount and comes setup for a light and/or camera insert at the top and fits onto a RAM 1.5" ball. It also has adapters to work on a Scotty mount that convert Scotty to a RAM ball. The Radpole itself goes from a 1.5" RAM ball up a composite shaft anywhere from 18-31" depending on the one you want. At the top the shaft has another RAM coupler which accomodates either their Kayaklu LED light or a camera mount with the screw etc.

The beauty of the RadPole (the pics are on their site) is that with the GoPro or any camera mounted on it you can easily articulate the camera position by leaving the upper ball joint somewhat loose, so you can point it in any direction quickly as needed. The only downside is that since the radpole is connected to the kayak body it really conducts hull slap sound to the camera, but most of my video will have music ultimately anyway.

I usually shoot with the GoPro HD at 720p (1080p is just too fat and 720p looks good enough) and the fisheye lens gives you a huge POV range compared to a traditional lens.

While I have toyed with various DIY solutions I found the Radpole to be supremely engineered and worth every penny. Now I need another GoPro and another camera mount to get some other views ;)
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

daveg99 wrote:
vanjr wrote:Nice. I like posting your equipment specifications as well. Making Texans jealous = Priceless (I grew up in Titusville).

Thanx for posting.
I lived in East Orlando for 12 years. So you must know about mosquito lagoon. I used to bank fish when I lived there and would catch trout and sheep head in the inter coastal. We used to also wade into the flats out at sebastian inlet and catch all kinds of different stuff.
Sadly, all I did was fish fresh water growing up :roll:

I do miss the horseshoe crabs.
Pipeliner2

Post by Pipeliner2 »

Great video KayakMike. Heckuva fish there, too. What I loved was the sleighride and watching it get faster and faster as the fish made that crazy run.

Well done and good luck to you in the future.
KayakMike

Post by KayakMike »

Thanks guys - while I've caught plenty of poons it was the jumps for the camera that fired me up on this one. I'll post when the final cut of tarpon season is up.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

GOTTA LOVE Florida & Tarpon :clap: