Handling Catfish

kayak angler

Handling Catfish

Post by kayak angler »

What's the best way to handle a catfish for dehooking. I got finned pretty good this weekend and would not like to repeat the expeirence. Should they be lipped like bass, or grab 'em by the gills. Don't think I'll be doing the body grab again, ouch! :shock:
galtexcpl

Post by galtexcpl »

To do the body grab......I slide up from the tail with my thumb on the belly....and place the first pect fin between my thumb and forefinger.......the dorsal between the forefinger and middle finger and let my ring finger come up behind the left pect fin. That way all the fins are poking out between my fingers and I can keep a good grip on the fish for dehooking with the other hand.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Sounds like an excellent application for a Rapala Lock-n-wiegh or Boga Grips.....
boxybru

Post by boxybru »

Have to go with Galtex on this one, that is how I unhook mine.
Top Water

Post by Top Water »

IMHO I think it depends on the size of the Cat... I agree with galtex with the body grab only when the fish is small enough to palm. I know I've caught some really big one that my hand wouldn't fit around them to get a good grip. There is where GC's lip grip tool would come in handy. Right now the only means I have available is to trap the fish with my foot or the net and then try to get the hook out. Doing this out of a Yak would be very hard.... :roll:

TW
kayak angler

Thanks

Post by kayak angler »

everyone for your replies. I'll be heading to Academy for a lip gripper this evening. I've been wanting one for a while anyway, so getting finned is a good excuse to get it. Thanks again.