More cool tools

neon14

More cool tools

Post by neon14 »

Mom and Dad went to Indiana a few weeks ago to visit family and came back with some of Grandpa's old hand tools. He has a lot of wood working tools and can no longer use them. The family sort of split up everything amongst all the kids. Dad must have been thinking of me when he picked these tools out. Pretty nice little work bench. Dad wants to hang the saw above the wood shop door. The metal hand planes handle is basically charcoal. Back in the early 1980s Grandpa's house caught on fire and burned down. Its pretty cool that I will get to use his tools, and I will go out of my way to use them.

Does anyone know what kind or style the large wooden plane might be?
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: More cool tools

Post by Carver »

Great score ! I have a hand made metal plate my dad used for playing cards. No one has ever even guessed what it is, but I still smile every time I look at it and think of the late night rummy games with him and family.

Until you can study proper restoration of them a bit of WD40 or very light machine oil on all metal (and wood if you don't mind the darkening). The plane that was in the fire can still be fully recovered and have a full life.

I regularly wonder what my hand tools will bring in an estate sell. I think they are bound for that destination whether I like it or not.

Congrats again on gaining a great link to family and some really cool tools to boot, Phill

http://www.masterwerkes.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Randall

Post by Randall »

Nice tools, but is that a tr6 in your garage?
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Right on, How yall are?

I saw this and thought of you.
https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tip ... and-planes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these guys are pretty smart too.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... ey-12-101-(3-1-2-quot-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Perhaps SPIDennis is about here too??
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Hey Doug thank's for that, I just learned how to modify my honing jig. Cool.

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thanks guys for bringing this one back. Mom just returned from Indiana for Grandpaws 88th birthday. Wish I could have been there. Its pretty cool to have his tools and I hope to pass them along to my grandkids.

Yup thats a TR-6. Pretty nice car but needs a lot of work. Was my sisters car in high school. Hasn't been driven on the street in over 10 years or more. Would be nice to get it back on the road.