2012 TKFBBR Boat Builders Roundup

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 2012 TKFBBR Boat Builders Roundup

Post by bowgarguide »

Personally I am very interested. What I know about sail craft you could put in a little bitty bucket ,hum make that a thimble :lol: My only experience was with a hobby cat .
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Rev TCF wrote:
makenmend wrote:
Saturday May the 12th???
I don't read well between the lines
Yessir that would be correct, maybe you could influence Preacher to attend with his new build :D

Hope to meet you there.

MM
I'm gonna put it on my calendar. I'm thinking Preacher is just gonna show up based on his earlier post.
First I gotta finish the Honey Bee Stripper before I can bring it, second I've gotta do some paddling and fishin or I'm goning to be more crazy than I am.

My plans are for Rev TCF to pull my trailer of boats down and Mrs Preacher and I will bring the 5th wheel down so I can be snug in my bed at night :wink:
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

preacher wrote: First I gotta finish the Honey Bee Stripper before I can bring it, second I've gotta do some paddling and fishin or I'm goning to be more crazy than I am.

My plans are for Rev TCF to pull my trailer of boats down and Mrs Preacher and I will bring the 5th wheel down so I can be snug in my bed at night :wink:
My vacation is approved so me and the original Honey Bee are in!!! :dance:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

You can set your clock on my going to these roundups. The election cycle has finally been approved, and, you guessed it, It is on May 12th. My Board said today they want me here for the election but we are still in deliberations :wink:

I'm saying I'm going yakin and fishin and they may have to fire me over this one.

Jerry you may have to use my trailer and leave me behind.

10 MORE MONTHS
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I was only going because you were. 41 months for me!!! (maybe)
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Iamdamoder, I dont know how good my varnishing skills are compared to some of the others on this forum. seems like when I do my own stuff things go ok, but when I take on projects for other people things get messed up :lol: I bought a paint gun the other day gonna try spraying the varnish on this time. We will see what happens.

On another note, the last few years we have bought season passes to fiesta texas. I'm not to crazy about theme parks. So this year we got season passed to Texas State Parks. 70 bucks is not to bad at all. I did not realize there are almost 100 state parks in Texas.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

I just got my Jem Sabalo back in action after a classic turtle with yardsale n rough conditions last august... Left rods in my rocket launchers and both were partially ripped out when the kayak rolled by those big offshore rods. Now they've been reinforced with double the thickness of hull around their bases for the bolts.

I've also decided to join the graphite hull bottom crowd, because there must be a good reason everyone else does it, and I was also very pleased by the use of tinted epoxy as a paint when refinishing my skiff.

I am wondering what painting an entire kayak with tinted epoxy (using made for purpose epoxy tints for the upper) would do. It makes a wonderfully smooth surface.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I cant wait for this roundup. Looking forward to trying out everyones boats and I cant wait to see everybody try out my paddle boards!
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I suspect your board will gather a lot of interest and tryouts.

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Well this year so far has been a busy one, with river trips and messabouts. And only 2 weeks from our own gettogether here on Inks Lake.

My poor old boats are suffering from the abuse of literally thousands of road miles and quite a few river/lake trips. I try to keep telling myself that's why we build them :!:

Any way hope folks are still going to make Inks on May 12th. if I can help at all please yell.

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

just a reminder folks, only a week away now, lake levels are good,wildflowers have past there peak but the sandbass have been busting the surface quite a bit.

weather calls for mostly sunny with chance of T storm in afternoon, sort of same ole same ole.

hope to see you there.

MM
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

We plan to drive up early Sat. am and m/b fish some before the deal kicks off.

Thanx John for setting this deal up for us.

If it is as sweaty as today I'll be ready to fall of that SUP :lol:
cheers
neon14

Post by neon14 »

My wife ask me what time this thing starts. I told her I dont know. I never really thought about it :lol:
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

neon14 wrote:My wife ask me what time this thing starts. I told her I dont know. I never really thought about it :lol:

I have no idea if we even have an official start time. We are going to leave here at 530 or so. We should be fishing by 730.

Neon14 would you consider helping me with a shuttle on Friday. CP to Hermanson should take about an hour. :idea:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv?cb ... o=08165500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

The times are 10 am to about 3 pm, people (unless they're staying at the park) useally start packing and heading out then, plus with mothers day folks have places to be.

All in all flexible (Rons useally fasionably late) :P

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thanks, we should get there around 10 or so.

moder, just let me know what time you want to put in lol! I just checked the gage height in center point and the water went up over 7 feet last night.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I figgered I'd just wait till tomorrow to paddle.

Here is a shot of the Guad from the high bridge at Sultenfuss Crossing.

Looks like more rain tonight then clearing.
I'd give Ron a wide berth, He's been known to carry hundreds of gallons of water in his boats. :shock:
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I really enjoyed the day. Of course the quality of folks in attendance far exceeded quantity, but that is how this wood boat deal is. The young guns schooled us on the SUP's. It may have been painful to watch but I had a blast trying to paddle them as well. We had some first time sailors and allot of happy faces on folks trying out different boats. That is what it is all about. :)

Here are some pics. Hopefully someone got some good ones. :lol:

neon14

Post by neon14 »

We really enjoyed yesterday. Its was nice to meet yall. Had a great time. Looking forward to the next one.
I took a few pics but not enough. I was kind of mad at myself for not taking more.

Caden wants me to build him one of these.

This was the fastest boat I have ever paddled!

AJ had a blast out on this boat. Its all he has been talking about today!
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I was kind of mad at myself for not taking more.
well I"m a total dufus didn't have my camera ! but luckily for me my compadre did,so when I get the down load I'll post some.

As predicted the stand up paddleboards were a big hit ( I even tried it and didn't fall off,amazing) and it was good to see folks who'd not sailed before trying there hand and doing really well. Sure enjoyed the company.

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Well, it looks like we are going to have to go back to Inks lake sometime this summer.

In all the talking about boat building, race cars, motorcycles, and wine making......I did not try out the Trimaran!
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

We may have to get together for the launch of Makenmends big boat.
I hope we see a build thread soon.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

It sure warms my heart to see you guys carrying on the tradition!
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fryemup »

Teaching my son to sail was the best thing I ever did as a parent (paid for his ASA lessons). Second best was buying a couple of different sail boats for him to grow in. I wish I had that strip built in that line up. He would have loved that. That is just plain COOL. I think letting the young guns school us is really what it is all about. As long as they know we play dirty and can take them anytime anywhere. :) :)
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Bunch of really nice boats. Wish I had been there.