Winter Fishing

livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Winter Fishing

Post by livetofish »

Going towards East Texas is fast becoming winter tradition for my family. Can someone give me the inside scoop on fishing the State parks in and around East Texas ?

I am talking from Huntsville, to Atlanta via Livingston, Palestine, Rusk, Tyler, Dangerfield, Caddo Lake, and maybe Fairfield. If you think of any other state parks with half decent fishing especially those with power plant discharges, I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks for the info. I promise to post regular reports including GPS points.

LTF.
Pops55

Post by Pops55 »

Lake Monticello is extremely warm and I've been told good fishing in the winter. However you dont want to go near it in the heat of the summer, the water is so hot it kills fish. I remember skiing in it as a kid in the middle of winter. The water was like cool bath.

Lake Monticello is out by Mt.Pleasant.
flfisher

Warm water

Post by flfisher »

Fayettville lake is about 75 miles from our area and is a discharge lake for the power plant. Stays warm, lots of bass and a nice park and camping area. 290 to Hempstead then 159 to the park.
FLYYAK

Parks

Post by FLYYAK »

Try coleto creek ,fairfield,choke canyon,Toledo Bend Sam rayburn etc.Lots of good parks in The Tex park system.I haven't been to them all but I'v been to most. there is a small Park called lakewood with river access out of Gonzalez that I have been wanting to go. I love the wooded parks in the winter. I took my grandkids to Lake Texana last year and they loved all the wildlife. :D :idea:
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

I am making my trip list. Keep the ideas coming. Just an FYI for those who can do it, the railroad trip on the Rusk-Palestine line on the opening day in April/May is easy walkin availability and kids - like me - love it.

Not bad fishing in the little lake in the Rusk unit, either.

LTF.
Backcast

Winter fishing

Post by Backcast »

If you get to Tyler then you are only 30 minutes from Lake Fork near Quitman ( my hometown and Sissy Spaceks). Bass capital of the world and January and February is when the 13 lbs and up are caught. I have never fished it though as I left before it was completed.

Joe French
Sugar Land
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Did they save the old Nick Creme lure factory there in Tyler ? That would be hallowed ground.

LTF.
Backcast

Winter fishing

Post by Backcast »

Not familar with the Creme lure factory in Tyler. I do remember the brand name though.

I've read where the guides fish in 20 feet of water for the winter bass on Fork.

Joe French
Sugar Land
BoneDigger

Some ideas...

Post by BoneDigger »

Tyler State Park has produced several fish in the 13 lb range over the last couple of years and one 10 pounder was caught there three weeks ago. Local divers tell me the lake is filled with big largemouth. I hooked one there two weeks ago that I never turned before it popped my 6lb test line. I'm not sure how the lake is in the winter but I plan to find out later this year. Also, several parks, Tyler included, release rainbow trout in the winter. Call the park for stocking dates and fish about two days after stocking.

Martin Creek Lake SP, near Longview, is adjacent to a power plant that releases warm water. In winter, bass, catfish, and bream/crappie fishing is supposed to be good around the water release area.

Other lakes to consider... Caddo Lake, Lake O' the Pines, and Daingerfield SP lake. Of course, a GREAT fishing trip is Purtis Creek SP. It's totally catch and release for bass and produces some nice largemouths.

Check out the fishing reports at www.tpwd.state.tx.us. Click on fishing at the top of the page and then follow the links. These are usually updated weekly but some smaller lakes, like Tyler SP, are not listed.

I hope this helps. If you make it to the Tyler area, give me a holler and maybe we can hook up for a fishing trip. My e-mail is Tylercyclist@yahoo.com

Todd in Tyler