Fished Ray Roberts/Lewisville Greenbelt

PaddleFisher81

Fished Ray Roberts/Lewisville Greenbelt

Post by PaddleFisher81 »

Fished the greenbelt this morning put in at the 380 launch about 6:45am went down towards Lake Lewisville didn't catch anything and only saw a couple of fish. What concerned me and it maybe normal but the water seemed pretty gross there was what seemed to be a sheen of oil on top of the water I could see it really well in my yak but if you looked close you could see it in the water too. Had I caught anything I don't think I would have taken it home for dinner. But hey even a bad morning of fishing is better than a good day of pretty much anything else. :D
texasflycaster

Re: Fished Ray Roberts/Lewisville Greenbelt

Post by texasflycaster »

Virtually anything is possible, but this is certainly newsworthy if it is oil. The flow from Ray Roberts Dam down has been kept at a minimum since about April, and the water is becoming increasingly turbid as temperatures reach consistent highs. A green bloom is entirely possible.
That said, it's also entirely possible to catch unusual fish - specifically gar - at this time of year, just down from the Dam put in. They try to make their way up through extreme shallow "rapids" that flow over a gravel bed, and can he susceptible to fly fishing flies. They can typically run 40+ inches. Let me know if you go out again, and maybe I can go along?