Bow Accesories Question

BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Bow Accesories Question

Post by BigGabe63 »

So, I was lucky enough to receive a nice Mathews Compound Bow as a gift. Got it in the mail the other day now I need to get all of the accesories so before I walk into an archery shop or Bass Pro can anyone tell me which accesories they use and/or how much I should look to spend on certain accesories for example I know a sight is important and some range from $35 to over $200 so what would be a good price to spend on one. I am just getting started and once I have my bow outfitted it will be my first time shooting a bow.
1.Arrow Rest
2.Sight
3.Stabilizer
4.Release Aid
5.Peep Sight
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Bow Accesories Question

Post by Prof. Salt »

Bows are very personal tools. You may get 20 different responses from 20 people, but what I will recommend is a peep that is 1/4". That's one of the larger sizes available, but during late and early hours it makes shots possible that smaller peeps don't. I can shoot accurately out beyond 50 yards with that size peep, so accuracy doesnt suffer much.

Sights should have enough pins to cover all the distances you may potentially need to utilize in any scenario. I like a 5-pin sight but I never hunt over 60 yards. Some of the guys out West use seven pins because they routinely need to take shots that are longer than any I need to take. Look for metal construction and pins that protect the fiberoptic strands from breaking should you drag the bow through brush. I also like an aluminum pinguard (the curcular ring around the pins). Remember that the more fiberoptic length the pin has, the better you will be able to see in low-light conditions. Be aware that "toolless" translates to "may accidentally change your pin settings in the field". Once you get the pins set you will not want to change them often.

I use the S-Coil stabilizer from Sims ($20) and it works very well.

Try any release you are considering. Load it on a bowstring without looking - you will need to do that while hunting, so be sure the release will allow you to hook up without too much fumbling. Try the feel of the trigger: some have a hair-trigger with no travel :D and some are sloppy and require more pressure :? .

For an arrow rest, it's hard to beat the simplicity and ease of use of a Whisker Biscuit rest. It will not allow the arrow to fall off accidentally, and with arrows that have a slick surface (I only use Cabelas Stalker Extremes) there is no noise when drawing back. I have hunted with one for seven years and love it.

Good luck with your bow and getting it set up. Archery is as addictive as kayaking and you will enjoy it. It is intense and the difficulty makes any kill one you can be proud of. Hunting with a bow is easily my first choice for any game (except maybe ducks :lol: ).
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

Thanks Prof. for the tips. In the bit of research I have done I do like the simplicity of the Whisker Biscuit so I think I may go this route.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The whisker biscuit is pretty foolproof and I really like it. Just be sure your arrows have a slick finish so they don't make that brush sound as you draw back. My FIL didn't like it as much because he shoots GoldTip arrows that are not slick, and an animal inside of 15 yards may hear the arrow sliding on the biscuit.I use the Cabelas Stalker Extremes and can't say enough about quality and quietness.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Thumbs up on the biscuit for sure. Now do that Prof. thang and esplain helical twist for his vanes.....be careful in the biscuit. :)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I fletch all my arrows with straight Blazer vanes.

I've read that helical (normal) twist vanes can suffer damage after passing through the biscuit repeatedly. My FIL shoots helicals using a biscuit and they don't seem to suffer too much. Helical twist spin-stabilizes the arrow and is supposed to increase accuracy. I have been shooting straight vanes for a few years now, and my arrows are NOT the limiting factor for my accuracy (the ability to hold steady on target is still my greatest challenge).

*I also prefer hot pink vanes on my hunting arrows. Not because I'm in touch with a feminine side, but because they show up best when they are shot into grass or brush. I haven't found a color that is easier to locate than hot pink. FIL refuses to switch to this easy-to-find color, sighting chapter 1 of the Machoman rule book. He loses a lot of arrows with his black and camo colored fletches! :lol:
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Arrow rest - Drop away rest that contains the arrow. I use a Ripcord. I've had it on my bow since 2005 without any problems. I don't like the noise a WB makes when you shoot.
Sight - I use several different ones for different applications. I prefer an all steel sight with micro adjustments which means $$$ but worth it in the long run. I currently have an Apex 6 pin sight. I can shoot out to 70 yards. This is where I would start setting up my bow. Buy the best that you can afford.
Stabilizer - I never really thought to much about stabilizers until I tried the Axion when they first came out. I had better groupings instantly. Before that I used a sims stabilizer.
Release - get one that is comfortable and has an adjustable trigger. I actually use a thumb release for 3 D and hunting.
Peep - I like the larger diameter peeps for hunting, especially in low light.
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Post by Pablo »

Try the "Lil Goose" release and see if you like it.

It's trigger finger actuated and is smooth to the point that you don't know when it'll go off yet it's not a hair trigger.

Used to be about $70 bucks.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

BigGabe63 wrote:Thanks Prof. for the tips. In the bit of research I have done I do like the simplicity of the Whisker Biscuit so I think I may go this route.
Just as a suggestion, check out the NAP Quick Tune Rest. Same containment concept as a Biscuit, but NO vane or fletch contact. Less noise too.
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

Get a d loop - a note a about helical - you need the twist to stabalize the arrow. I had a guy talk me out of it a few years ago. Went straight. My accuracy declined, especially at long ranges. The twist is what gets the arrow flying straight - it is the same reason why rifle barrels have riflings in them. It will slow your arrow a bit, but it doesn't matter how fast it gets there if the arrow does not hit the target. I can consistently hit an apple size target At 60 yds. Scott releases are probably the best bang for the buck - you can get them for $50 and it will far outlast your bow. I've had mine for 13 years!
SteveWhite

Post by SteveWhite »

If it's possible to post here it, there is a good one page that contains reviews about bow stabilizers, arrows, etc.
Have a successful bow hunting