RECAP of NW TKF Kayakers meeting May 7, 2013

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

RECAP of NW TKF Kayakers meeting May 7, 2013

Post by richg99 »

Kind of late getting this out, but we've got some household things going on here at home for the next few days.

Ninety guys on the list..Eleven stalwarts showed up. REI was great and provided us with plenty of room and privacy, which isn't always the case when you meet at a retail location. (more on that later)..

As promised, it was primarily a "meet and greet" session and we moved the chairs to a round-table setup. Everyone seemed to participate and the hints; suggestions; fishing lies; and various prevarications that flowed were well received.

I think we all learned something from the sharing, I certainly did.

A couple of things were suggested and decided upon. One was to ask TKF management to archive or delete the 2012 and prior messages in the NW Chapter section. Those older posts can confuse new, and older, members alike. I've sent off a PM to TKFSTUBBS asking if that can be done.

A discussion was held about having formal trips and outings, and, given that we only had 11 members in attendance, it was decided that simply posting up When and Where guys will be fishing ON THE NW CHAPTER SITE should suffice at this time.

Of the attendees, we had some who only fished BTB; some just fish bays; and some who fished fresh water. No one wanted to take on organizing and following up on trips until we see a lot more NW CHAPTER member involvement.

Brice was nice enough to bring his Solo Skiff to the meeting. We all gathered around it in the parking lot, and he explained some of the features that he particularly liked. After a thorough discussion, we moved the meeting back to the meeting room.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CLICK ON >>>>>>.. SUBSCRIBE FORUM..<<<<<ON THE NW CHAPTER SECTION..... IF YOU WANT TO SEE THESE MESSAGES AUTOMATICALLY. That option is at the top of the NW Chapter section!

The date (First Tuesday of each month) of the meeting seemed to fit everyone OK.

The location at REI was OK, but some guys said that they had to fight some travel issues to get there. It was suggested and approved that we seek out a couple of additional places to meet, so travel was less and attendance might be better.

On that note, I had a PM today from the Regional Manager of ACK. He offered the use of their Spring location for some of our meetings. I drove up and met with Andrew, and we have agreed that we will hold the NEXT meeting at the ACK facility in Spring. That should allow more guys from the Woodlands and other I-45 areas to attend.

I know it will be a travel issue for some...but...it is probably best that we let everyone have a shot at the meetings. ACK offered to bring in some refreshments and even provide a Pro speaker, so it should be a worthwhile trip for all who make the effort.

Additionally, I hope to run over to Gander Mountain at 290 next week, and see if they would host a meeting every third month. That should give the guys at Cooperfield and Route 290 areas a good spot to gather. More on that after I have spoken to the management at Gander.

I hope to rotate the meetings to two or three locations on a regular basis.

That is pretty much it. Obviously, I was surprised that the attendance was as low as it was.

I have received speaker commitments from a couple of guides, and one former member, to speak before the group. But, if I can't promise them more than 10 or so fishermen at the meetings, I will NOT ask them to travel three and four hours to speak.

Let's see how this goes for the next few months. I will be some some travelling during the summer months, so I am going to need back-up in all areas, if this group is going to survive.

regards, Rich
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: RECAP of NW TKF Kayakers meeting May 7, 2013

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

i was looking forward to being there and I flat out forgot about it. by the time the reminder went up the day of the meeting I already had obligations. I guess I need to set a reminder on my phone or something a couple of days ahead of the next one :oops:
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yea, I often forget meetings if I don't put them on my calendar. I need automatic reminders that come up a week before and then a day before. Hope we get more attendees next time.

Just mark it FIRST TUESDAY of EVERY MONTH 6:45 p.m.

We will be moving the location(s) each month.... for a while, anyhow. rich
TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

I work at tomball Academy and sports and outdoors I can talk to a manager to see if we could use the boat room
TxBigTuna

Post by TxBigTuna »

Will be at the next one reminder already set just got stuck at work
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Texas toast....I tried the Academy at FM1960 and 249. They said they did not have any large room. See what your store will do, please. regards, Rich