Wood options

keith1

Wood options

Post by keith1 »

Ok here is what I have available locally .
1/4 maple
1/4 birch
1/4 ash
1/4 red oak
3/16 lauan
And pine . Out of those what would be the strongest and lightest to build my boat out of ?
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Wood options

Post by TexaRican »

There are many variables to consider. Lots of builders here have had success with Luan and I have used it as well but much, much prefer marine plywood.

Have a look at this link and read up on plywood specifications. You need to consider internal voids, types of glue used for the laminations and checking that may occur when you bend it.
http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/APA ... Zk0Nk4o7mI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Be careful buying wood at the box stores. They tend to buy the cheapest crap they can get their hands on. I have quit using them altogether for plywood. I now drive 2 hours round trip to get the good stuff. It doesn't cost that much more and the wood is better quality. I'm buying from Dakota Hardwoods in San Antonio.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Anyone else ?
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

First of all, we need to know what boat you're building. I built the JEM watercraft Touring Pirogue TV using Luanne from Home Depot and it did just fine, and made a wonderful boat. The fact that you can get it in 3/16" is a plus, I had to use the 5mm.

If you're going to make a touring sit-inside kayak, go with the good stuff, but for a pirogue or some other simple build, my vote is Luanne.

Check out the JEM website. Matt has some great designs, some simple, some complex, but I bet he has one you'd like and the customer service is the best you can find.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

I'm planing on building the pirogue tv .
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Spend the few extra bucks on marine grade plywood. Considering everything else that goes into the build, fiberglass, epoxy, YOUR TIME, the savings truly is minimal. We are talking like $100. If your cheap plywood starts to delaminates like mine did it will be the worst $100 you didn't spend.

Just my personal and somewhat humble opinion :mrgreen:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Marine Grade Okoume is probably the best you can get. It is awesome stuff, beautiful and weighs less than the birch and other hardwoods. But it cost a small fortune. Lots of good info here.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Marine plywood it will be then . Just have to find a place close to Victoria that has it ,
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Got some good stuff from Houston Hardwoods. Found out my brother was coming down the following day. I had him grab my order on his way out of town. That way I didn't have to pay any shipping. Im in Corpus Christi and that was the closest I could find. If you find it closer let us know.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Shamrock kid wrote:Got some good stuff from Houston Hardwoods.
Some other guys have used them also. They seem to have good stuff but a little pricey.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

keith1 wrote:Marine plywood it will be then . Just have to find a place close to Victoria that has it ,
How soon do you need it?
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Alsatian wrote:
keith1 wrote:Marine plywood it will be then . Just have to find a place close to Victoria that has it ,
How soon do you need it?
no time soon , still saving up to fund the project
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

keith1 wrote:
Alsatian wrote:
How soon do you need it?
I'll be heading towards Victoria at the beginning of July, not sure of the exact date. If you want I can pick it up in San Antonio and bring it to Victoria. Send me a pm if interested.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Alsatian wrote:
keith1 wrote:
Alsatian wrote: How soon do you need it?
I'll be heading towards Victoria at the beginning of July, not sure of the exact date. If you want I can pick it up in San Antonio and bring it to Victoria. Send me a pm if interested.
That's a very nice offer . I'm not sure if I will have the money yet to fund the project . As we get closer to you heading this way I will see if I have the money .
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I'll let you know as soon as I do. Once you figure out what all you need, let me know and I'll call it in to my suppliers and see if we can get it any cheaper.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

I know I will need 3 sheets of 4x8 I think 5mm or 3/16 I think .