17 lb. kayak

Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

17 lb. kayak

Post by Phishtech »

Well, it's been a while since I posted on this. Last year was a hard one for the wife and me. I built me one of those aluminum-on-frame pirogues (with V bottom instead of flat) and I'm finally gonna post a few pictures, with more to come on the build if anyone is interested. Haven't weighed her empty yet, but she sure isn't as light as the original model, but she is light and can fly on the water. Only taken her out twice and loved paddling her both times. Made her from the JEM 15x29 asymmetrical pirogue platform. Had problems with the rails cracking because I put my scarf joints in the wrong place, but got her fixed and she's water tight and light. Had to move the rear temp frame forward to take the stress off the rails which made her narrower than intended both bottom and top so I had to lower my normal high center of gravity to keep her trimmed out. Anyway, here's the first few pictures:

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: 17 lb. kayak

Post by Mythman »

Sleek and good looking, congrats on the build! :clap: :clap: :clap:
KenCarter

Post by KenCarter »

I've been hoping you would post pictures of building it. Where did you get the aluminum?
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

KenCarter wrote:I've been hoping you would post pictures of building it. Where did you get the aluminum?
Got it at Home Depot in the roofing department. It's called trim coil and is .019" thick, comes in a 50'x24" roll for about $84 last time I looked. You can get it online also, or look on Ebay and you might get a partial roll. The full roll should make 3 boats.

If you want, I'll post up pics of the build and try to answer questions. I love this boat, but if I ever build another one I'll do it a little differently (easier).
KenCarter

Post by KenCarter »

Yes, please post pictures. Thanks.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

PT
A good looking build and I am sure we would all like all the pics you can post on this build.
Ron
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

nice looking boat - where is that you are paddling?
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Very interesting. May I ask how you sealed the aluminum joints? Is the bottom plywood? And, if so, what thickness? Etc. More, more, we want more, please. regards, Rich
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Chief Brody wrote:nice looking boat - where is that you are paddling?
That was Armand Bayou, the closest paddling water I can get to.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

richg99 wrote:Very interesting. May I ask how you sealed the aluminum joints? Is the bottom plywood? And, if so, what thickness? Etc. More, more, we want more, please. regards, Rich
I sealed the aluminum to the wood by first (after sealing the wood with epoxy resin earlier) giving the wood a light sanding then acetone wipe down, then with a wire wheel buffing all the aluminum oxidation off of the areas to be sealed, acetone wipe down. Finally, getting it all lined up and first (this is my mind working here, maybe right maybe wrong) putting a coat of clear epoxy resin over the wood, followed by my resin and wood flour mixture (to thicken the resin and keep it from running). Lay the aluminum over the wood and tack down with 5/8" wire nails (lots of them). Two person job for sure. Once it all dries, you have a good, permanent seal.

Bottom is Luann plywood from Home Depot ($11 a 4x8 sheet) 5mm thick.

The key to me is when you use epoxy to join either ply to ply or aluminum to wood, get it clean with the acetone to remove any and all oil from working with it.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

richg99 wrote:Very interesting. May I ask how you sealed the aluminum joints? Is the bottom plywood? And, if so, what thickness? Etc. More, more, we want more, please. regards, Rich
I also used 6 oz. e-glass fiberglass on the bottom that lapped a little over the aluminum/ply join, then covered the inside floor with 6 oz. glass . She is totally water tight, except for that big hole on top, of course.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Probably u can lift that thing with one hand like a dumbbell!

Great job!