Fly Tying - Patterns and Tips

Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Fly Tying - Patterns and Tips

Post by Doug Poudre »

jimithing wrote: similar to the adams except the deer hair pints up to help fly stay afloat.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the post is for visibility and the hackle around the post keeps the fly in the surface film as an emerger which is best fished on calmer water.
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

Doug Poudre wrote:
jimithing wrote: similar to the adams except the deer hair pints up to help fly stay afloat.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the post is for visibility and the hackle around the post keeps the fly in the surface film as an emerger which is best fished on calmer water.
that too, but the key word was "help". im sure the deer hair is used to aid in flotation in case the fly gets turned in slightly rougher water and it helps to point it the right way up again. im sure the fly would be less successful in this if another less buoyant material was used for visibility.
salt_fly

Post by salt_fly »

Here is my attempt at the Redfish Crack Fly...

Thread: clear monofilament
Hook: #2 of choice
Eyes: Lead dumbell
Tail: Craft fur
Collar: Saddle hackle
Body: Enrico Puglisi dubbing brush w/micro legs
Weed guard: Mono or wire

(Continued on next post...)
Attachments
Bend a #2 hook near the eye like a 60 deg. jig hook. Secure lead eyes on top of the hook and take the thread back to the bend.
Bend a #2 hook near the eye like a 60 deg. jig hook. Secure lead eyes on top of the hook and take the thread back to the bend.
Tie in a tail of craft fur about 1&1/2 times the length of the hook shank. Make barred markings on the tail with a Sharpie and tie in a orange saddle hackle
Tie in a tail of craft fur about 1&1/2 times the length of the hook shank. Make barred markings on the tail with a Sharpie and tie in a orange saddle hackle
Palmer the orange hackle forward and tie off.
Palmer the orange hackle forward and tie off.
salt_fly

Post by salt_fly »

Redfish Crack (cont'd.)
Attachments
Secure a Enrico Puglisi dubbing brush in front of the orange hackle and wind forward to the eyes. Be careful to sweep the fibers back toward the hook bend so they don't get caught as you wrap
Secure a Enrico Puglisi dubbing brush in front of the orange hackle and wind forward to the eyes. Be careful to sweep the fibers back toward the hook bend so they don't get caught as you wrap
Place some antron dubbing on the thread and wind around and in front of the eyes and tie off. Voila!!
Place some antron dubbing on the thread and wind around and in front of the eyes and tie off. Voila!!
One more cast?

Post by One more cast? »

Bought some of those EP fibers that everyone seems to love. It took me 3 tries to get it right, but I think I have the technique down. pretty easy to tie! Tried it in the pond behind my house, tracked straight and even caught a few bass for what its worth.
Attachments
ep baitfish.jpg
ep baitfish.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 39294 times
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Here is a fly I started tying a few months ago and put this little video together. It is a rattle tail clouser and is a perfect way to add a rattle to a fly. The clouser minnow is in my opinion one of the best baitfish imitations. I fish clousers 90% of the time due to the fact I am always very successful with them and they ride hook point up. The rattle I added is just another sense the fish can use to pick up the fly. I have had the best luck with the brass rattles because the glass rattles just seem to break way to easily. I do like the sound better from the glass but the fact that they break so easily made me look for a different alternative. Hope yall like the fly.

Dageaux1977

Post by Dageaux1977 »

jimithing wrote:Skittal shrimp- tied on no 4 or 6, uses white rabbit strip, crystal and copper flash, orange and white silli legs, orange maribou for eggsack, white ep fibers, 1/60 or 1/80 dumbell weight, 30 lbs mono for eyes and weedguard (optional), and red beads for eyes.
IMAG0495-1.jpg
Seems like none of your pic come though. is it some setting I jacked up on my page?
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

New to forum. Can"t see any of jimithing's pics in his post. Can see others though. What's the fix. Thanks.

Here is a shrimp pattern I tyed.
Attachments
Dirty Shrimp.JPG
avidfisherman

Post by avidfisherman »

Some saltwater flies... (Black bait fish pattern [I call it "Blackie"], a chartreuse/yellow Clouser with red calf tail for gill slits [a.k.a. "Carnival Clouser'], and a cockroach)
Attachments
Cockroach.JPG
Carnival Clouser.JPG
Blackie.JPG
avidfisherman

Post by avidfisherman »

A few more saltwater go-to's...(The Whistler [with a darker red/burgundy flash chenille body], a saltwater variation of a "wooly booger" [bloodworm marabou tail / maroon hen soft hackle body / grizzly hen soft hackle head], and a Crazy Charlie [white calf tail/pearl flashabou for the wing.]
Attachments
Red Whistler.JPG
Red Maribou and Soft Hackle.JPG
Crazy Charlie.JPG
avidfisherman

Post by avidfisherman »

Just 3 more must haves...(the Yellow Hi-Tie [a little pearl flashabou never hurt a saltwater fly], a blue over white deceiver, and the MUST HAVE Redfish seaducer [yellow/griz tail, yellow body, and finished off with the RED thread change for a head.] Of course these 9 flies are only my opinion, but hey...we all have one, right?

p.s. - I do my best to tie weed guards on MOST all of my saltwater flies. Weed beds and mangroves are prime real estate for those reds, so as fly fishermen we should do our best to get in there and get a piece of the action! You just can't really do that without a weed guard on most flies.

Tight lines.
Attachments
Yellow Hi-Tie.JPG
White and Light Blue baitfish.JPG
Seaducer (Redfish Yellow and Griz).JPG
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

Dageaux1977 wrote:
jimithing wrote:Skittal shrimp- tied on no 4 or 6, uses white rabbit strip, crystal and copper flash, orange and white silli legs, orange maribou for eggsack, white ep fibers, 1/60 or 1/80 dumbell weight, 30 lbs mono for eyes and weedguard (optional), and red beads for eyes.
IMAG0495-1.jpg
Seems like none of your pic come though. is it some setting I jacked up on my page?
no, the account i had on a website hosting the photos messed up or something so i lost all of them and now they dont show up.
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Here is a fly I just started tying. I got the idea from fishing with Rob Anderson up on Pyramid Lake . I figured I could use this fly/technique on some of my local waters.

Click here for the Tutorial

TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

maggot
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fly-fis ... -step-by-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trappmund

Post by trappmund »

2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Curly Tail Clouser
Full SBS below
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2014/03/c ... ouser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty's Deciever with a twist
Fulls SBS below
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2014/03/e ... n-sbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Go Getter
Full SBS below
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2014/04/t ... etter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

For times when you want to go big or go home. A 18" ribbon fish imitation using 3; 4/0 Varivas hooks and 2; 80mm Blane Chocklett Big Game Shanks that I tied up last night. King Mackerel have a liking for ribbon fish and they are also notorious for cutting baits in half. These meat hooks will hopefully be put to use this summer offshore.

The Offering

trappmund

Post by trappmund »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A few of my recents the last one is my first attempt at a cray fish pattern.
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

4/0 LMB Jig
Completed SBS
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2014/05/bass-jig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Late Bloomer

Post by Late Bloomer »

a few ideas that can be made without too much effort.
Attachments
flash flash.jpg
flash flash.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 37546 times
spider assortment.jpg
fly assortment.jpg
Late Bloomer

Post by Late Bloomer »

The spider looks difficult but really isn't
Attachments
finished spider.jpg
finished spider.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 37547 times
adding legs to spider.jpg
adding legs to spider.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 37547 times
starting a sinew spider.jpg
Puck

Post by Puck »

I tie a ton of bendbacks, for multiple reasons....

Mustad 34011, slightly bent
Size "A" rod wrap thread
Craft fur
Fish hair
Stick-on eyes
CA glue
Epoxy or CCG

I'll see if we can get a video of next week's tying with the group.

Puck
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Full SBS
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2014/06/d ... -hada.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »