Can someone please explain the Red Snapper rules

J-Dubs

Can someone please explain the Red Snapper rules

Post by J-Dubs »

I'm new to offshore fishing and confused about the rules of when you can take red snapper.

The TPWD website says nothing of a "season." At the following link it says the daily limit is 4 over 15 in.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations ... gth-limits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I remember hearing recently, before I gained interested in BTB fishing, something about the season being shortened so there was less time to get out and catch them. So there must be some sort of season, right?

Bottom line, if I paddle out to the rigs in Corpus and catch a red snapper over 15 in, can I keep it?
SeaGale

Re: Can someone please explain the Red Snapper rules

Post by SeaGale »

I think the "season" you're referring to is a federal law. Federal waters are 12 miles and beyond. Anything less than 12 miles are state waters. And state laws are in effect.

Most snapper fishing is done in deeper waters. But with these crazy federal regs most people are looking for more structure within 12 miles of shore.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

This says 9 miles is the state/federal line. But regardless, what is on the TPWD page is correct for inside state waters. No season, limit 4.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... ral.phtml/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J-Dubs

Post by J-Dubs »

SeaGale wrote:I think the "season" you're referring to is a federal law. Federal waters are 12 miles and beyond. Anything less than 12 miles are state waters. And state laws are in effect.

Most snapper fishing is done in deeper waters. But with these crazy federal regs most people are looking for more structure within 12 miles of shore.
This is what I was thinking but I just wanted to get a sanity check from the community here.
Ms addicted wrote:This says 9 miles is the state/federal line. But regardless, what is on the TPWD page is correct for inside state waters. No season, limit 4.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... ral.phtml/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the clarification on this. I don't think I will be going past 9 miles in my kayak.
SeaGale

Post by SeaGale »

Ms addicted wrote:This says 9 miles is the state/federal line. But regardless, what is on the TPWD page is correct for inside state waters. No season, limit 4.

Yep. You're right.
I don't know where 12 came from.
I think I may have a salt deficiency since I live too far from saltwater. Image
jasonder

Post by jasonder »

Does this apply to recreational fishing or commercial. If recreational how do the charter boats out of Aransas pass and such go out. I thought they fished mostly all year long?
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Read the book you get with your license, it covers it all.
jasonder

Post by jasonder »

Ok I read the regs and I am still confused do those party boats that go on 8 hour trips not go into federal water?
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

I was just out this past Saturday 30 miles offshore and we caught well over 30 red snapper of varying lengths (not in my kayak, I am not quite THAT awesome) and a party boat not to be named pulled up to the rig we were at and all the people on board dropped their lines in and they fished for about ten minutes and then left... with about 30 red snapper floating in the water behind them. It was discouraging to say the least. I am not sure there is a difference for commercial (ie party boats) but I know there were a lot of dead fish out there.
AHP

Post by AHP »

Here this may help.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/r ... =20140519b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the body of the news report....
"Texas state waters (less than 9 nautical miles from shore) are open year-round for red snapper with a four fish bag limit and a minimum size limit of 15 inches. Regulations in federal waters (greater than 9 nautical miles from shore) may differ from state regulations. This year, the recreational season in federal waters will run June 1-9 with a two fish daily bag limit and 16-inch minimum length limit. For more information on federal fisheries regulations go to http://www.gulfcouncil.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call toll-free 888-833-1844."

So to answer your question:
State Waters less than 9nm - 4bag limit w/ minimum size 15"
Fed Waters more than 9nm - June 1-9, 2bag limit w/ minimum 16".

:D
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Djrodeo wrote:I was just out this past Saturday 30 miles offshore and we caught well over 30 red snapper of varying lengths (not in my kayak, I am not quite THAT awesome) and a party boat not to be named pulled up to the rig we were at and all the people on board dropped their lines in and they fished for about ten minutes and then left... with about 30 red snapper floating in the water behind them. It was discouraging to say the least. I am not sure there is a difference for commercial (ie party boats) but I know there were a lot of dead fish out there.
You should see how many they kill every time a rig is blown up.
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

9 nautical miles is equivalent to slightly more than 12 regular miles.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bloodhound wrote:9 nautical miles is equivalent to slightly more than 12 regular miles.
9 Nautical miles = 10.357 miles