Price being equal: Paddle or Peddle

WJH

Price being equal: Paddle or Peddle

Post by WJH »

Have the option to purchase a Hobie or a paddle kayak. Is there any situations where a paddle kayak would have an advantage over a peddle kayak. Specifically a Hobie Revo or Outback. I know the Revo is better paddling kayak than the Outback if you do run into a situation where you need to paddle. Paddling kayaks I am favoring are the Tarpons and Cuda.

If mirage drive kayaks were priced equally to paddle yaks, would most members prefer a peddle kayak over a paddle kayak?
Endo

Re: Price being equal: Paddle or Peddle

Post by Endo »

This is an oft debated question on the forum, so some searching can probably find some good discussion threads.

It really comes down to personal preference and where you'll mostly be fishing.

In my opinion, the only place I'd rather have a paddle yak is fishing the skinny/shallow flats. once you get shallower than about a foot, you'll have to pull up your peddles and use your paddle, and a hobie sucks for paddling and it has noisy hull-slap and a deeper draft which is really bad around oyster beds.

Otherwise, I think a peddle yak is better.

Having said that, I'm still a purist at heart, and I get much more satisfaction paddling instead, and I can't help but feel a tad ashamed peddling around in my hobie. If I hadn't wrecked my shoulder, I'd still be in a paddle yak for sure.

There are other pluses and minuses of course, but not going into them, but for me the main situational difference is the shallow water fishing issue.

Skinny water is where I really miss my traditional paddle yak.

jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

You are going to hear a lot of opinions here. It really depends on what kind of fishing you are going to be doing. The majority of my fishing happens in 3' of water and the Hobie is perfect for it. I can position myself on the edge of a reef or grass line while continuing to fish instead of pulling my paddle out to get position. If you are wanting to fish the marsh you should go with a paddle kayak. It can be done by pulling the pedals, but that isn't what the hobies are made for. I would find a demo day and test them to see which one you like the best. Everyone has there own preference, don't let someone talk you into one until you try it yourself.
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RealBigReel »

The premise is incorrect. Pedal kayaks will always cost a lot more than paddle kayaks. Even still I'll take the pedals. Pedals will get you places and under conditions that a paddle can't and with a whole lot less strain. Pedals will let you troll with 1 rod in hand and 1 hand on the rudder. Pedals will let you chase down a fish that is screaming drag.
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

I am not a fan of the outback and revo think there layout is of poor design, especially the seating.

If I fished exclusively btb with lots of trolling I would consider it to have me hands free.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

I fish marshes, I paddle. I have had ACL repairs in both knees from soccer. I don't like to peddle. My shoulders still work so I don't own a powerboat yet.
Punchingclowns

Post by Punchingclowns »

I have both...My Hobie is for BTB and if I know the area is good for trolling in the bay.... My Big tuna gets used a lot more and will continue too in the marsh areas...

It depends on you and where you are going to fish.. that is basically it...

Scott
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I'm a paddle preferer. I spend a lot of time in skinny water stalking reds. I like to stand up in my Commander and poll along when possible. Bad knees seal the deal.

My friend likes his hobie Adventure. He had the Outback and didn't like it as much. The Outback seemed like a slow, noisy hull that set up high in the wind. The adventure is fast, quiet, lower profile and more stable than it looks.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The peddle systems have certainly added dementions to the kayaking world. And, like most 'new' things, there are advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, kayaking to me is so much more than simply a fishing platform. As such, I don't think that a peddle boat, has much to do with what kayaking is really all about.

But, please consider that, rather than my modern, power everything, electronic everything auto......, I would prefer driving an MG-TF.
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

I really don't know much about pedal kayaks. I know I drag my yak around in the mud a lot. I get into oyster beds and run over logs and branches. I use my paddle a little to help me get in and out of my kayak in muddy conditions, and many times I need to back out of spots. SO, I imagine pedals would suck in those situations. STILL, when I'm on a straightaway and in open water, I think a pedal would be awesome. I've got a few spots that are 5 or more miles out, and I don't even try them by paddle.

Limited to one or the other, with the way I use a yak, I'd choose paddle.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

I have or have had all versions. Currently SUP and T140 plus skiff. Had an outback and sometimes I wish I had it back. Like them all because they all performed great for certain things. Board I can go in mud and never get of the thing as long as I have push pole, Skiff gives a lot of range but come with gas an maintenance which I hate (LOL). Paddle/Peddle offer about the same thing just depends what makes your more comfortable. I loved the outback and being able to have hands free and go greater distance as I am only a fair paddler but I also love paddling.

As others have said there are numerous threads in storage here that touch on all this but in reality its up to no one else but you and what you plan to do with it. Best advice is rent, test, rent test until you get a feel for what you like. Seen a lot of folks that don't and then you see their yaks up for sale on the for sale section of this forum at a discounted price.

Heck in reality if your like most and you get hooked on it you won't own just one anyway.
Tomagus
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Tomagus »

My 2 cents
paddle vs peddle vs trolling motor
http://bassyaks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(paddle) cost varies +paddle
(peddle)Hobie-$2000+
(motor) approx $500 + battery + registation +kayak(e.g. Cuda 12 $1300 + motor $500 plus batterry and reg you are stiil under $2000)
If I had a choice...I'll take the motor (effort vs no effort= no contest..I would rather use my energy to fish)
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

Good Advice,Endo, jgj5533,and spoonbill.

I like to paddle and go in skinny water. I have a Side imaging fishfinder with the transducer in the back and that get in the way a lot. If you have an injury would prefer one over the other.
You have to ask yourself where you going to fish and what you're going to fish.

It's your asking about a company opinion, I like Jackson as a company.
Just my opinion.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

For me the simplest set up the better.
Highland yak'er

Post by Highland yak'er »

Personally I love my outback. But I have access to our rental fleet (research purposes only :lol: ). I have used everything we sell.
For me the biggest upside for the peddle system is the versatility, I can cover a lot of water in 13"+ (no gear) very quickly. It allows me to access many spots paddlers can't/wont access (ie greens lake). With my outback I am able to comfortable go 4nm+ offshore when the the weather allows (and sometimes when it doesn't)
However my outback is a beast to paddle, (still better than the nucanu, bigrig, freedom hawk, etc) however, I have found with a push pole (about the cost of a nice paddle) I can move it effortlessly in skinny water.

Downside is my '14 outback's chair sucks. I am considering selling my life perceptions for a Bote board. It is the only thing I enjoy fishing on more than my outback.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Highland yak'er wrote:Personally I love my outback. But I have access to our rental fleet (research purposes only :lol: ). I have used everything we sell.
For me the biggest upside for the peddle system is the versatility, I can cover a lot of water in 13"+ (no gear) very quickly. It allows me to access many spots paddlers can't/wont access (ie greens lake). With my outback I am able to comfortable go 4nm+ offshore when the the weather allows (and sometimes when it doesn't)
However my outback is a beast to paddle, (still better than the nucanu, bigrig, freedom hawk, etc) however, I have found with a push pole (about the cost of a nice paddle) I can move it effortlessly in skinny water.

Downside is my '14 outback's chair sucks. I am considering selling my life perceptions for a Bote board. It is the only thing I enjoy fishing on more than my outback.
Perhaps a bit off subject, but do you pole your outback while standing or sitting?
HaroldCoulter

Post by HaroldCoulter »

Why not do both. Skinny water? no problem, just pull up the pedal drive on the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel! Wanna stay off the bank or power against the wind? Use the bigger set of muscles and pedal!
Bassaxeworks

Post by Bassaxeworks »

S2S Seat upgrade is lifechanging for the older outbacks. I did the install on one the other day painless and freakin huge improvement for comfort.