Kayak trailers

JMS

Kayak trailers

Post by JMS »

While many of you have shown innovation and exceptional welding skills building or modifying existing trailers I don't posses those skills and was wanting input on what you think of some of the kayak trailers on the market such as Malone, Yakima, Bulldog folding trailer, etc.

Some I know are expensive (could by 2 yaks for same price as a fully equipped Yakima). But getting little tired of lifting my Yak on top of my truck.

Appreciate your assistance
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Kayak trailers

Post by Ken J »

I have a Yakima RackAndRoll Trailer. Its light weight, easy to move by hand. However there is a heavy $$ price that goes with all the pluses. I have added a Storage box for my gear, and I can carry two yaks easily.

Ken J
Attachments
PINS Trailer.jpg
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

Loading on top of your truck or in the bed?

If you have the money and the storage the Malone trailers have had many great reviews. There is a galvanized trailer for $600.00 at Academy and you can add malone wings on it and i think that would be a nice set up as well.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=226128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

did you see this? Looks to be a great deal for an almost new trailer... With extras!!! Good LUck
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

If you fish freshwater exclusively, then the Harbor Freight and Northern Tool trailers have been modified for kayak use... (without welding). In fact, Harbor Freight even has a real boat trailer for a low price.

Not sure how they would hold up with too much exposure to salt.

Also, 8 inch rated wheels will not allow you to go as fast as 12 inch rated wheels.

richg99

Here is one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-cap ... -5002.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

If you check craigslist, you can pick up a galvanized jetski trailer for around $300 Use the existing bunks or install some seawings.
stryper

Post by stryper »

Harbor freight and 20% coupons are everywhere
photoea

Post by photoea »

Mine started life as a Harbor Freight trailer. No welding required, just a little creativity.

If I had it to do over again (and I may)... I would have cut the cage portion down a little. At the end of a long day I'd gladly give up a little storage space to not have to lift my yak quite as high.
Attachments
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Ouch!....re "the caged portion". With my old back, that would be tougher than loading a yak on top of my van.

Seems to this old codger that one could build it upside down. i.e. the storage portion on TOP, and the yak below. The "stuff" that goes into the storage portion is probably in boxes; bags, etc. Might be heavy, but not all in one big unit. The yak, however, is one big unit.

Also, the "stuff" probably doesn't get loaded and unloaded as often as a yak might on a two day trip.

Just my mind meandering this afternoon. Don't pay much attention. ha ha

regards, richg99
JMS

Post by JMS »

What do you all think of this one from Northern Tool?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200596746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My concern is with usage 70% salt use it will rust in a hurry. Only thing I think it's missing is a spare tire
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

JMS wrote:My concern is with usage 70% salt use it will rust in a hurry....
Course depends how much you use it...but they normally fall apart like a Chips Ahoy cookie...I'd try to stick with galvanized...

Modified this one for a guy, total investment was under $1000, that includes his initial $650 purchase price(New)...

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I used this galvanized 499. trailer from academy for a single Ride 115. Hardly any mods necessary.

http://m.academy.com/shop/pdp/mcclain-1 ... eType=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jack Barnhart at BMSS, Inc in Rockport builds custom kayak trailers. I bought mine there 4 years ago for under $1000. He's at 361-463-7046.
Captain53

Post by Captain53 »

I saw this ad and thought I would post it because it looks to be a very nice trailer deal under $1000. It is not my trailer nor do I know anymore about it or the owner than what the ad says.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5052633138.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unclejnb

Post by unclejnb »

When I started kayak fishing, I first used a Yakima roof rack, that set me back over $600. Tired of the scratches, dents, salt and mud all over my car, I bought a small used trailer and customized it, for about another $600. Even though it was pretty small and simple, it still took all my strength to move it around by hand. After selling it, I bought a quality used micro-trailer that is by FAR the most practical for me. Even used, it was pricey, but worth every penny. I can pull it around by hand (even loaded) and I don't have to worry about throwing my back out. It has almost no effect on my gas mileage. If I knew 12 years ago what I know now, I would have bit the bullet and just bought the micro trailer to begin with. And last but not least, it folds up and easily fits in the garage.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Unclejnb...please share the brand name of your trailer. Thanks. richg99
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ken J »

richg99 wrote:Unclejnb...please share the brand name of your trailer. Thanks. richg99
I think Joel's trailer is a Malone Kayak Trailer.

Ken J
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Go for the gusto. I have had a couple trailers, one better than the other until I bought a Rack n Roll. Money well spent. Its not cheap but my back and my Prius appreciate it. My motto is what is the point in working if I don't spend the money on stuff that makes my life better.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Hmmm...the smallest Malone trailer that I could find is made out of Galvanized Steel. The larger ones all hold four kayaks. Even the smaller one cost a lot more than what the McLain galvanized jon-boat trailer costs at Academy. ($499.00)

Doesn't anyone make a simple one beam aluminum trailer for a reasonable price?

It wouldn't have to be much wider than a yak, say 40/48 inches at the max. Support for a single yak could be two aluminum cross beams. Light weight simple springs, or, better yet, torsion springs. 12 inch wheels and a coupler.

Even the 12 inch wheels might be downsized to 8 inches, given the light weight of our yaks.

Unless I have failed to find an existing product, it seems to this old codger that there is money in "them thar hills" for an enterprising aluminum welder.

Your thoughts????? richg99
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

What kayak and truck do you own? I know you mentioned getting a trailer to keep from having to load the kayak on top of your truck, but have you thought about a bed extender instead? Much cheaper and still easy to load. I have a Cuda 14 and drive a Toyota Tundra and just toss it in the back. It fits pretty well and rides fine without an extender.
quibbly

Post by quibbly »

Ken J wrote:I have a Yakima RackAndRoll Trailer. Its light weight, easy to move by hand. However there is a heavy $$ price that goes with all the pluses. I have added a Storage box for my gear, and I can carry two yaks easily.

Ken J
I have the same trailer. Which saddles did you use?
JMS

Post by JMS »

Drive an F150 & have Cuda 14 problem with bed extender is wife tags along when I go the the coast, that means quick up, lawn chairs, extra coolers & other beach stuff fill up the bed. Light weight trailer might be best option, could use on Prius and RAV 4 for quick trips. Turned 50 yesterday and finish Masters in Education in August, might have to treat myself
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Congratulations on receiving your Master's degree. Must have been a lot of hard work.

Of course, you are deserving of a "treat"... Especially if it's PRIMARY purpose is to allow you to take your bride along on the adventure. Go for it!!!

regards, richg99

p.s. if you have to "sell" this expenditure....remember...your PRIMARY purpose is to allow her to come along on the trips..Ha ha Ha Ha Ha.....
ruquick

Post by ruquick »

I went with an aluminum Triton trailer. The trailer is light (around 150 lbs).