lightest kayak you can stand up in

chironomid

lightest kayak you can stand up in

Post by chironomid »

Who makes the lightest kayak you can reasonably stand up in? For poling the shallow flats.
Thanks,
Todd
JesseCJC

Re: lightest kayak you can stand up in

Post by JesseCJC »

Depends on your size. Have you looking into SUPs?
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

200lbs and not interested in a SUP.

Thanks,

Todd
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

probably going to be a native ultimate and wilderness systems commander but they are both hybrid style kayaks. although i could stand and fish in my old malibu mini-x and it doesn't get lighter than that! try before you buy! go rent the ones you're interested in or wait until the next demo days (spring 2016) can't remember if they do a fall demo or not.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

also depends on your balance. I remember fishing with fishman and he would comfortably stand, pole, cast, and land fish on an old school ocean kayak prowler 13. I tried to stand on a prowler 13 and it was REALLY uncomfortable. And I'm not much bigger than he or you.(210 lbs) I can skateboard and ride a bicycle, but still isn't enough.

And when you decide on a kayak to demo, try to take some weight thats equivalent to what you'll be carrying while fishing. Some boats change alot after adding a few pounds and while your standing up. I notice the difference if I try to turn the kayak a little left or right to correct my direction and the stern sits lower after adding the weight from your gear.

hope this helps..
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

My few, usually unsuccessful, attempts at standing up worked out OK for an instant or two. It was when I tried to sit back down...... that the fear and trembling set in (just kidding).

IMHO......Any stable yak, with a HIGH seat; pull-up rope and/or various gadgets that one can hang onto (available on more and more yaks these days) ......will be a lot better than another yak with a floor level seat and no pull-up/sit-down rope, etc.

richg99

p.s. I am 75 yrs of age; weigh too much, and am not the typical flat bellied yakker that can normally stand and dance on these things.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

So far mine is the lightest kayak I've found that I can stand in. It weighs about 65lbs. Emotion Stealth 11

I think it would fall into the category of the prowler 13 were it's possible for some, but it's not an advertised feature.(I spent the first half of my life standing on surfboards every chance I got.)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The WS Commander 140 is 69# and it is very easy to stand up in. The bench seat makes getting up and sitting down from a standing position much easier than from a more traditional lower seat. Sitting down from a standing position is tougher than getting up. I'm 52 and I think it would be tough to have to sit after standing if the seat was much lower. The chief handicap of the commander is that it isn't self bailing so you won't want to take it in rough open water.
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

Thanks everyone, that gives me a place to start.

We have 4 Hobies and a trailer, but I'm wanting something light to toss on top of the cars some times, especially when I'll be too shallow for the mirage drives.

Pretty sure I still want self bailing in case some weather sneaks up on me.

Todd
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

That's a tricky question, because I know guys that can stand up in a T-140, and others that can turtle a ride while sitting...so it is all relative to the user...What's good for me may not be as easy for you...

I can stand up in all my yaks, Tarpon 120, Magic 12 and Commander 140. It's all about balance.
But to answer your question, the Native Magic 12 is the lightest kayak I can stand up in.

karstopo wrote:...The chief handicap of the commander is that it isn't self bailing so you won't want to take it in rough open water.
I beg to disagree, Sir. The worst part about the Commander is that the high gunnels make it a bitch to paddle in any sort of wind over 5mph...but on a calm day? It's on like Donkey Kong...
Choppy water always comes with wind...
christian

Post by christian »

Santa cruz raptor is made for standing. I throw castnets everytime I go out. It weighs 67# and the weight cap is 360#. They are $1050 new, rare to find used. The comfort seat is imo a must that adds another $100.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

12 foot Malibu stealth is 55 lbs. I don't know about standing, though.
John_B_1

Post by John_B_1 »

I'm going to throw the cuda LT in the mix, 64 lbs with the seat 32" wide and rigged to fish. I have not paddled one but do have a cuda 12 and it is a stable yak.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

M T Stringer wrote:That's a tricky question, because I know guys that can stand up in a T-140, and others that can turtle a ride while sitting...so it is all relative to the user...What's good for me may not be as easy for you...

I can stand up in all my yaks, Tarpon 120, Magic 12 and Commander 140. It's all about balance.
But to answer your question, the Native Magic 12 is the lightest kayak I can stand up in.

karstopo wrote:...The chief handicap of the commander is that it isn't self bailing so you won't want to take it in rough open water.
I beg to disagree, Sir. The worst part about the Commander is that the high gunnels make it a bitch to paddle in any sort of wind over 5mph...but on a calm day? It's on like Donkey Kong...
Choppy water always comes with wind...
I've taken it in choppy bay waters and done fine and it will grab more wind than the tarpon for sure, but compared to a canoe, it is way better. I don't think I would take it BTB, but I still take it out in bay and marsh on the windy days. My poor sad tarpon languishes in storage . The only time I took on a little water was on Salt Lake in the BNWR and the wind came up and Salt gets real choppy real quick. I kept the nose into the waves and did just fine, and there isn't any place that I go that I wouldn't take it. I lose some range, but I just love standing and fishing in comfort too much and my Commander does that very well. If 5mph was my threshold, I just wouldn't ever get to fish, ever.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

They make a tarp type of weather cover for canoes. I'd imagine something similar would help keep the water out.

I see those type of "yaks" as a cross between a canoe and a yak. No scuppers, and higher sides.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

My native ultimate 12 weighs 43 lbs without the seat. Probably 48 with. I've fished in some heavy downpours. A cup to bail water is all you need. Only time I've swamped it in the 7 years ive been using it was BTB and in the rapids on the Devils river. I can stand and pole, fish, land fish, and throw a cast net out of it no problem.
Heck, I throw it over my shoulder and carry it and the seat to the water a lot of times.

It's not a BTB or rapids yak but work great for everything else
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

karstopo wrote:If 5mph was my threshold, I just wouldn't ever get to fish, ever.
Lol...me either. I just take my tarpon or magic on windier days since I have the option.
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

This is great, I knew I'd get some good ideas from the thread.

I'll try a few out for sure, but didn't know what to look at.

THANKS!
ChrisCastro

Post by ChrisCastro »

Stability can be relative between individuals. My Heritage 12 is at 67#. Caught a bull drum standing up...I'm guessing that's pretty stable...lol
fenderfishing88

Post by fenderfishing88 »

Anyone use Hobie outback been thinking about getting one for a lady friend I was wondering about stability and standing in it before I go make that leap in buying another kayak
michang5

Post by michang5 »

If your budget can stretch, the Native Slayer 10 is 59 lbs bare. I can stand on it all day.
Highland yak'er

Post by Highland yak'er »

Check out the Diablo brand of yaks
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

Michang5 is that a Slayer 10 propel you're talking about? I don't see the 10 without the propel option...

Looking at the Native Versaboard possibly.

The smallest Diablo looks nice too, it is super wide. How well does it paddle?
michang5

Post by michang5 »

Yes, it only comes with the Propel. I downsized from the Mariner 12.5 Propel, and the weight savings was huge for me. Translated into less time loading and unloading (I cartop alone). More fishing time. I love the yak.
chironomid wrote:Michang5 is that a Slayer 10 propel you're talking about? I don't see the 10 without the propel option...

Looking at the Native Versaboard possibly.

The smallest Diablo looks nice too, it is super wide. How well does it paddle?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I fish a lot in my malibu stealth 14 (I also call it Titanic). I found that the only reason I want to stand up in it is when I am far from shore and need to take a leak.
Seriously, in ~50-60 outings (majority in saltwater) I never had need to stand up in it. When I fish marsh and it gets thick -- I simply get out and wade.