Colorado Trip

Texjbq85

Colorado Trip

Post by Texjbq85 »

I posted this on the main fly fishing board, but I figured I'd share here as well.

Here is a link I didn't include on the main post. It's got a lot more wilderness and fishing pictures so please don't mind the non fishing pics, everything is bigger and better quality. I'm the one with the go t.

https://imgur.com/a/GFsgI#0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just got back from a week long trip to Colorado. I had two friends along with me who had never fly fished. It was a Llama packing / fishing trip. We rented 2 Llamas for 4 nights. This allowed us to bring WAY more stuff than a normal backpacking trip. I selected the the Eagles Nest Wilderness based on it's beauty and terrain, fishing was secondary as my friends didn't really care about the fishing. They just wanted to get into some nice mountains, so natural I planned a trip that allowed fishing along the way.

Start of the Trip:

Best water ever:

It took a day or 2 to figure the Llamas out:

Upper Cataract Lake (spent 2 nights here):

Fishing:

After we got out of the mountains I went a spent the rest of the week staying with some friend that work and live in Aspen. I fished the Roaring Fork in town one afternoon and caught a few browns. Then another day went toward Independence Pass and fished Thompson's creek I believe. Caught quite a few rainbows and brooks.

Last night in town caught a show of the legendary Steve Earl's:

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Colorado Trip

Post by jhb »

That looks like an epic trip with llamas involved.

I've been in a snow melt creek in Alaska in my Chacos in late July and can attest to exactly how frigid that creek must have felt.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Awesome report. Gotta get me a llama.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Great report and pictures. I've never heard of using llamas as pack animals seems interesting.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Looks awesome we saw Steve Earle a few weeks ago at Floors country store. I love those frigid creeks. I camped on one in Alaska as well. It was called glacier creek because it was a melting glacier that fed it. That's where I kept my beer for the night, it worked awesome. the lamas add a whole different cool factor to your trip. Looks beautiful up there
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I was on a boat in the PWS for 5 days. Hell we backed the boat up to the Blackstone and later the Bainbridge glaciers and used ice that outdated ourselves by millennia to chill our Crown Special Reserve. Apparently, according to local legend, Crown Special Reserve with glacial ice is the only way too cure sore arms from fishing. I wasn't going to question that one...
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

sounds legit to me. i fished for halibut and salmon when i was there in 1998. halibut are so delicious, i caught one that was around 75lbs and another that was around 40lbs. Talk about sore arms. forget the fall over nighters on the river lets go to Alaska next July!
hunterlee5587

Post by hunterlee5587 »

This looks like an amazing getaway