January Competition

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: January Competition

Post by jhb »

I wanted to take a second to thank Zack for showing me the ropes yesterday. He took the time to teach a new fly angler how to fly fish for trout and I did end up landing a little dink, state stocked rainbow. We waded for a few hours and his patience with explaining the technique was awesome. He ended up catching one after another in front of me (nice ones too!), but I got my first rainbow on the fly. Now off to catch more. Thanks Zack.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Your welcome Jhb I really enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again. Yesterday was by far my best day trout fishing. I landed exactly 20 and probably lost another dozen.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

A late afternoon paddle was just what the doctor ordered. Bass were banging the popper, and one even swallowed a sunfish on the end of my line. That was fun for a couple of minutes until he spit it out.

Minutes later a cottonmouth plopped into the water from an overhead tree branch, just about two feet from my bow. Not the sort of thing you look forward to, but at least in did not come into the kayak with me.

The sun had already set, and I was taking a last minute cast, when my popper disappeared into the open jaws of a beautiful Guadalupe bass. Pink shadows issued just enough light for me to witness the battle as this fish did not want to be caught.

A quick measure . . . . a couple of photos . . . . . and the Guad was released, no worse for the wear.

What a way to end the month.
Attachments
DSCF2517.jpg
DSCF2516.jpg
DSCF2513.jpg
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Skypilot are we going to extend January in to February (since I don't think any of us landed a trout from the yak) or would you rather change it up some?
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

jhb wrote:Skypilot are we going to extend January in to February (since I don't think any of us landed a trout from the yak) or would you rather change it up some?
Extend it . . . . Go catch a trout from the kayak
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Hahaha, I feel like that was directed specifically at me.