Post your trailer!!!!

Tombo

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by Tombo »

Brandon317 wrote:This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right...
Looks like you are going fishing, best post on here.
Welcome to TKF
TennesseeYak

Post by TennesseeYak »

FishOn101 wrote:
TennesseeYak wrote:Image
It'll hold three 7 footers comfortably.
And, the final touch... A TKF stamp to hold it all together. :D

I like this trailer a lot. Do you know who makes the original trailer? Is it aluminum?

Thank you,

It is a Shore Land'r Tadpull, all carbon steel.
DownhillKayak

Post by DownhillKayak »

IMG_20160715_192057765_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160715_200027944.jpg
IMG_20160715_192015406.jpg
Hey guys! I had an idea about a month ago since the girl and I have started doing watersports more regularly. So the idea came to just mock up a roof rack system style on my pitbike trailer (adults who ride kids dirt bikes ). Did a quick Google search and found this forum thread of all your crazy kayak trailer builds! Slightly bummed I wasn't the only one with the bright idea of not slugging these led sleds on the roof anymore.

3 weeks later and my 2 test trips are a success. Started with the smallest harbor freight trailer you can possibly buy, extended the arm another 20" with 2"x2" square stock ($26), 12" wheels/tires from Amazon ($32 each), plastic fenders from Amazon ($14 each), generic J hooks from Amazon ($42), and 3, 10ft pieces of Superstrut from Lowe's at $16 a piece + stainless hardware. Just need to finish stripping it to paint and I will be buying another J hook that will fit 2 kayaks for a total of 3 on the trailer.

Very happy, makes life easy and so rad to share with y'all!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

DownhillKayak wrote:
IMG_20160715_192057765_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160715_200027944.jpg
IMG_20160715_192015406.jpg
Hey guys! I had an idea about a month ago since the girl and I have started doing watersports more regularly. So the idea came to just mock up a roof rack system style on my pitbike trailer (adults who ride kids dirt bikes ). Did a quick Google search and found this forum thread of all your crazy kayak trailer builds! Slightly bummed I wasn't the only one with the bright idea of not slugging these led sleds on the roof anymore.

3 weeks later and my 2 test trips are a success. Started with the smallest harbor freight trailer you can possibly buy, extended the arm another 20" with 2"x2" square stock ($26), 12" wheels/tires from Amazon ($32 each), plastic fenders from Amazon ($14 each), generic J hooks from Amazon ($42), and 3, 10ft pieces of Superstrut from Lowe's at $16 a piece + stainless hardware. Just need to finish stripping it to paint and I will be buying another J hook that will fit 2 kayaks for a total of 3 on the trailer.

Very happy, makes life easy and so rad to share with y'all!
One of the coolest parts of kayaking is all the tinkering and mods used. First contest I went to was sponsored by PACK hoping to copy some ideas. What I found was no one rigs their kayak, stores their kayak or transports their kayak the same. Sometimes its "necessity is the mother of invention" that brings out the Edison in all of us.
DownhillKayak

Post by DownhillKayak »

Yeah, love that I found this thread! Alot of great ideas and unique setups.
MNangler

Post by MNangler »

New to the site and simply wanted to say these ideas are incredible and most helpful. Hope I can one day post a pic of mine!
JoeyGrimland

Post by JoeyGrimland »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016090 ... 62d15f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kayakfisher82

Post by Kayakfisher82 »

Folding Harbor Freight trailer with 12" wheels. $230
Ebay Truck Ladder Rack. $82

3" PVC bunks for my 2015 PA12
Ladder Rack for my 2016 Vibe Seaghost.

Cheap and effective!
Attachments
20161115_215348.png
Stouttrout

Post by Stouttrout »

This was my old aluminum boat trailer. Converted with a truck bed rack and carries our three and gear great.Image
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Stouttrout wrote:This was my old aluminum boat trailer. Converted with a truck bed rack and carries our three and gear great.Image
Sorry to steal this thread but your Jeep Grand Wagoneer is so cool, a classic.
NTXAg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NTXAg »

I am looking for some trailer ideas and so I thought I would see what the best minds on TKF had to offer. I am currently hauling two Native Ultimates (12.5 and 14.5) on a modified HF 8x4 trailer with a rod box. It has worked great but the family is growing and we are taking vacations less centered on fishing and more focused on beach time. :? , not a fan of laying on the beach. That means we are transitioning to using the 5x10 single axle trailer with ramp to haul the golf cart, coolers, etc. I am looking to buy/fabricate some removable racks to hold the kayaks down the side. One on each side, two on one side, I am pretty indifferent, just needs to be fairly easy as I am not a great fabricator. The golf cart is lifted so overheard racks would be very tall and not feasible. Anything ideas y'all have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

ranchdog wrote:My Jeep is my trailer. Yaks on top and everything else inside except for six rods that can be mounted three on each side on the ends of the roof rack bars. I wouldn't have posted this except that my bride is going through the "Post your trailer" thread and remarked how many trailers were being pulled by Jeeps. I tried to explain to her that besides the obvious of not launching at the public boat ramp, lots of "kids" own kayaks and lots of "kids" like Jeeps. Obviously I am one of them. Be a "kid" forever! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I need a trailer like that, then when I am in the water mama can go shopping. We will both be happy.
HillCountyHoyt

Post by HillCountyHoyt »

This is the trailer I built recently. I think it turned out nice. Pulls great and holds all my stuff. The tongue folds up and the whole thing fits into my garage.
Attachments
tube.jpg
IMG_3927-1.JPG
trailer 1.jpg
krfish

Post by krfish »

Purchased a boat trailer, and converted it to haul my two kayaks. Trailer had been sitting on its axle in a pasture for the last 5 years. She's almost ready to go.
Put new tires and rims on, and replaced bearings and seals.
ImageImage
Added Welded a brace for yaks, added pvc, and LED tail lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
Attachments
Finished with this
Finished with this
Turned into this
Turned into this
IMG_1669.jpg (55.38 KiB) Viewed 34965 times
This is what it was.
This is what it was.
IMG_1668.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 34965 times
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

5x8 utility trailer converted to kayak trailer using 2 pieces of 10ft unistrut/superstrut and 4 pieces of 4"x10ft sewer pvc pipe. 3/8 bolts of varying lengths were used. Padeyes are also 3/8.

kneekap

Post by kneekap »

Does this count as a "trailer"?
PA12HTA.JPG
Rip'n Lip

Post by Rip'n Lip »

Fellow Kayakers, I have a buddy of mine that has an old 14 ft galvanized jon boat trailer that I'd like to turn into a kayak trailer. I've read through most of the posts under this thread but I'm looking for advice on size of square tubing. I'd like to build off of two main posts with 2 sets of crossbars to handle 4 kayaks. We have a 11.5' Ocean Kayak Trident and a Wildy 135 Radar and looking to get two more yaks for my other 2 boys. My question is what size square tubing should I used for the 2 main posts and for the 4 crossbars? I appreciate your input and recommendations.

Tight Lines
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

Rip'n Lip wrote:Fellow Kayakers, I have a buddy of mine that has an old 14 ft galvanized jon boat trailer that I'd like to turn into a kayak trailer. I've read through most of the posts under this thread but I'm looking for advice on size of square tubing. I'd like to build off of two main posts with 2 sets of crossbars to handle 4 kayaks. We have a 11.5' Ocean Kayak Trident and a Wildy 135 Radar and looking to get two more yaks for my other 2 boys. My question is what size square tubing should I used for the 2 main posts and for the 4 crossbars? I appreciate your input and recommendations.

Tight Lines
I would use 1" to 1.5" square tubing. Check out this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-UZH_ ... dex=7&t=4s
Rip'n Lip

Post by Rip'n Lip »

I appreciate the recommendation Wutevs!!
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Hi folks!

First post but will certainly not be my last. I first came to this forum about 4 months back to the exact thread since I purchased two used kayaks (Hobie PA 14 and Revo 13). I had a small farm utility trailer that I wanted to rig to haul these yaks. I focused on two areas: 1. Didn't want to permanently convert my utility trailer to a kayak trailer. 2. Wanted a system to launch the PA 14 since it's about 150lbs all rigged out. So here's my build.

Code: Select all

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post my youtube video.  I'm an avid BBC user, I've even ran my own photography forum before.  I've tried [youtube]https://youtu.be/3pg1h-6Z4UQ[/youtube], [youtube]http://youtu.be/3pg1h-6Z4UQ[/youtube], and [youtube]3pg1h-6Z4UQ[/youtube], none of these embedded the video correctly in the post.
So, here' the direct link: https://youtu.be/3pg1h-6Z4UQ

Thank you,
Roy Niswanger - Round Rock, TX
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

And here's how this trailer launches and loads my Hobie PA 14:

http://youtu.be/A62EkbJdVsY

^youtube tags aren't working, no matter how you format them...full url, http or https, just the video ID, nadda, ain't working.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

niswanger wrote:And here's how this trailer launches and loads my Hobie PA 14:

http://youtu.be/A62EkbJdVsY

^youtube tags aren't working, no matter how you format them...full url, http or https, just the video ID, nadda, ain't working.

Here ya go, Niswanger. I will send you a PM with the code I used to embed.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Niswanger:

Here is a pic of the format I use to embed:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (10.96 KiB) Viewed 33756 times
cfont

Post by cfont »

Wutevs wrote:5x8 utility trailer converted to kayak trailer using 2 pieces of 10ft unistrut/superstrut and 4 pieces of 4"x10ft sewer pvc pipe. 3/8 bolts of varying lengths were used. Padeyes are also 3/8.
How did you attach the unistrut to the trailer? are those u-bolts or did you drill a hole in the trailer frame and just bolt it together?