jackedbronco

Wading Port O Connor.

Post by jackedbronco »

Any advice on wading POC? More specifically the boggy bayou shore line

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Salaqua

Re: Wading Port O Connor.

Post by Salaqua »

I waded the Boggy shoreline this past Saturday morning. I would normally be kayak fishing somewhere, but my oldest wanted to do some crabbing with a friend for his birthday.

I waded pretty far out directly out from the parking area. There was tons of bait fish all around. I eventually made it to the main cut into Boggy. I did not have any bites the entire time and I waded it pretty thoroughly. This being said, it is a popular wading spot for I see plenty of waders there every time I have been. My advice is go past the main cut. I have kayaked that shoreline and my best production has been past that cut. Hope this helps.
jackedbronco

Re: RE: Re: Wading Port O Connor.

Post by jackedbronco »

Salaqua wrote:I waded the Boggy shoreline this past Saturday morning. I would normally be kayak fishing somewhere, but my oldest wanted to do some crabbing with a friend for his birthday.

I waded pretty far out directly out from the parking area. There was tons of bait fish all around. I eventually made it to the main cut into Boggy. I did not have any bites the entire time and I waded it pretty thoroughly. This being said, it is a popular wading spot for I see plenty of waders there every time I have been. My advice is go past the main cut. I have kayaked that shoreline and my best production has been past that cut. Hope this helps.
Sure does I have been trying to accumulate info on this area..do you about how deep the water was?

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I usually scratch out a few small trout near the main cut, throwing soft plastics. Better on an outgoing tide in my experience. Also, immediately inside and outside both cuts (inside is not very wadeable because of mud) there will usually be flounder and reds hugged up near the cuts when the tide is moving.

I did catch a nice trout on a topwater the last time I was there, almost as an after thought. I was wading quickly back to the truck to head back to camp, blind-casting and walking it with little regard to bait or any signs. The thing about that (as well as a lot of shorelines) is there are alternating guts and sand bars that run parallel to shore, going all the way out to the drop-off. Trout (and flounder) will hug down into the bottom of those guts and ambush bait as it comes over.
jackedbronco

Post by jackedbronco »

Yaklash wrote:I usually scratch out a few small trout near the main cut, throwing soft plastics. Better on an outgoing tide in my experience. Also, immediately inside and outside both cuts (inside is not very wadeable because of mud) there will usually be flounder and reds hugged up near the cuts when the tide is moving.

I did catch a nice trout on a topwater the last time I was there, almost as an after thought. I was wading quickly back to the truck to head back to camp, blind-casting and walking it with little regard to bait or any signs. The thing about that (as well as a lot of shorelines) is there are alternating guts and sand bars that run parallel to shore, going all the way out to the drop-off. Trout (and flounder) will hug down into the bottom of those guts and ambush bait as it comes over.
Thanks bud for the info...i heard that in side the boggy is very muddy

jackedbronco

Post by jackedbronco »

I will be out there on Wednesday..

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

jackedbronco wrote:
Yaklash wrote:I usually scratch out a few small trout near the main cut, throwing soft plastics. Better on an outgoing tide in my experience. Also, immediately inside and outside both cuts (inside is not very wadeable because of mud) there will usually be flounder and reds hugged up near the cuts when the tide is moving.

Thanks bud for the info...i heard that in side the boggy is very muddy
Perfect for a kayak
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

The water was max four foot deep.
kkrebs70

Post by kkrebs70 »

What is the road that's near Boggy, do ya need a 4 wheel vehicle to get to the parking area?
Not familiar with the area.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kkrebs70 wrote:What is the road that's near Boggy, do ya need a 4 wheel vehicle to get to the parking area?
The road is an extension of 3rd Street. I've been back there as far as you can go in a vehicle, in both 2WD and 4WD. 4WD is more comfortable. I went there last year for the first time in a few years and I walked the path out ahead of my buddy while he drove his 2WD pick-up, just to be safe.There isn't really any soft mud but if you're iffy, just go straight to the water's edge and park. You don't gain all that much by driving all the way to the back.
Last edited by Yaklash on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

And if you ever go there during duck season, there will most likely be hunters there, especially if there is some fog. I got a rude awakening last season with shot raining down about 20 yards ahead of me - they are usually there first.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

kkrebs70 wrote:What is the road that's near Boggy, do ya need a 4 wheel vehicle to get to the parking area?
I've seen people parked along the caliche road out of 'Gorda but that's about it. No real parking lot or anything that I know of. Yak is right on about 'not going to get you any further'.
jackedbronco

Post by jackedbronco »

Yaklash wrote:
The road is an extension of 3rd Street. I've been back there as far as you can go in a vehicle, in both 2WD and 4WD. $WD is more comfortable. I went there last year for the first time in a few years and I walked the path out ahead of my buddy while he drove his 2WD pick-up, just to be safe.There isn't really any soft mud but if you're iffy, just go straight to the water's edge and park. You don't gain all that much by driving all the way to the back.
Went out there today on a incoming tide..green clear water. No wind. Hard sand and grass.. about 3 feet deep or. The road is has its ruts and pot holes as does any public place(trash too)..

Worked a popping cork with shrimp and jigged out a morning glory swim bait. But ultimately no luck.

*as a side note I went to Froggies and I did not like my reception there. Rude, short and grabbed the bucket from my hand..not what I expected as usually ppl who fish are friendly it if a customer is spending money at your shop your are respectful.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I take the yellow path to where I park unless there are a bunch of vehicles up there (not a lot of room for parked and travelling vehicles). Otherwise I just drive through the middle. There is usually some standing water, but it is hard, water-packed sand in there.
Attachments
Boggy.pdf
Add description
(69.43 KiB) Downloaded 136 times