keith lake revisited 10/13

bing

keith lake revisited 10/13

Post by bing »

made the trek to my flounder hole 7am friday. slack tide, no activity. turn into deeper water to find mr. red. caught my 1st at 9am, 26", nice bronze color. as i place my pliers into its pocket, he swipe my left thumb with his gill plate and plop into the lake. bleeding, laughing about the fair play (i hook him, he cut me) i went searching for more bites. tried a swivel w/clamp on the jig for easy change out and the clamp failed on the second fish. went back to trusted uni. at past noon, i decided to paddle toward the inlet. sat next to the bulk head and hooked 3 slots in 30 minutes. the paddle in wasnt too bad with an incoming tide.

no flounders, dozens of rat reds, kept 3 slot reds and 3 bull croakers. noted that the croakers had worms in them just like the reds. ceviche & blackened reds this evening.
TigerLandSportsman

Re: keith lake revisited 10/13

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Sounds like a good overall trip
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I need to hear some good fishing reports. Deciding to hut or fish Saturday. I'll get probably get skunked either way. Fishing is closer and do not have to get up as early.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

I was hoping to make a trip to either Keith Lake or Texas Bayou Saturday but it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate. I heard from a friend that his friend made a good trip to TB lately. Oh well, maybe next week.
bing

Post by bing »

made it out there monday 10/23
waited for the sun to warm up a bit, threw gulp at the front with no activity. saw a guy toss his castnet and caught shads, he dumped them on the ground and walked off. i picked up his shads kept a dozen for cut bait, threw the rest back.
i paddled to the new rocks. throwing trout jigs with half inch cut shad strip.
1st red was 27" bruiser, then 2 trouts with a few croakers in between, then a break off. i didnt think much about it, maybe a cut from the shells. a cute 8" flounder bit next, then another drag screaming run and both my trout jigs were cut. confused, i re-examine my setup. 12# test, 20# leader. the cuts were at the jig. retied, kept fishing. 2 keeper flounders, 15" back to back, then a very short screaming run and another cut. i realize then that i was in a pod of gator gars that cuts the jig at the knot and not line breaks. retied with gulp and caught 2 slot reds. called it a day. a good day.