Strait-Way Fly Tying Vise..Rare!

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Strait-Way Fly Tying Vise..Rare!

Post by kickingback »

I found this deal on EBay with a Thompson Pro II for $50 both vises.
This is a Strait-Way vise and I have never seen one. I could not find any information on them as well.
I was wondering if anyone has heard or know about this vise? It is a true rotating vise and the jaws are a small slit that you screw down with the hook in the groove. It holds smaller hooks great!
Interesting concept for a vise. Wonder why I have never heard of them.
The guy I bought it from said that only 3 or 4 of them were made and the company went out of business.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Strait-Way Fly Tying Vise..Rare!

Post by karstopo »

Interesting. No, I had not heard of it. I’ve had 3 vises. One holds hooks like I like a vise to work. The other two, I have had a harder time keeping hooks secure. The rotary thing I’m just not into although I have a rotary vise.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

The vise above really holds the hooks tightly also! I have a few vises like this that are well made and hold the hook better than some production models.
My collection is for my own enjoyment but I also made sure to buy only those vises that I know will be worth more in good condition as well as complete line of vises if I want to sell them that way. Some people do not like to find and wait for their collections. Some will pay big bucks I have seen.
I collect vintage vises that were notable or worth money. I have my Thompson line almost complete. Need the Special C vise out of their "alphabet listed vises". Don't want or need the Vision vise as it was a flop of a vise.
I have all Herter's vises including the Herter's No. 11R Cast Iron Rotating/Revolving Fly Tying Vise. Picture below. I changed the jaws from the Thompson to the original Herter's jaws I got from another vise.
I have all the Regal heads and bases as well as some rare unknown or limited production vises.
I have a vise that is stamped in the metal as "R. Kerns" it may be customed made by this Kerns guy. I never heard of him. Picture below.
I got three vises that are from a line that Roy Steenrod tied with. They are "Metal Specialties Company vises and are very rare. Picture below of the ones I have. https://www.vintageflytackle.com/produc ... tying-vise
I have a few Renzetti's and other name brand vises as well. I want to do a video sometime about them like "The Classic Fly Tyer" has made about vises. He has a few videos on tying equipment. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvqfUs ... pTA/videos
The small hand held vise with my tools is a collectible as well. It mounts on it's own c-clamp made for it.
I also collect catalogs and know what vises were mass produced. You can see the E. Hille catalog under my vise. Hille made a "wing cutter" that is collectible. I don't even want to mention the amount of vintage tools I have. I like to design my own tools at times copying ones already available. I made a deer hair shaver out of epoxy and another with wires.
I am working on finishing my "deer antler" tool set. Still have to "burn" the flies onto the deer antlers.
I made my own brass wing burners from brass sheets I bought cheap at Lowes.

If your interested in any vises just ask and I may know a little about them. :lol:
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

You've made me feel better about all the vices I have on and around my tying table. I showed this thread to my wife, so she wouldn't thing me nutty due all to my tying stuff. Her comment was, " There seems to be someone out there as nutty as you are".

Ya just can't win...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol:

I could show you things that would make your wife absolutely love you for the rest of your life and never give you a hard time again... :wink:

Maybe sometime I will post pictures of my "wall of thread, flash and chenille"...and I do mean "wall". :lol: