Freshwater Shrimp

bones72

Freshwater Shrimp

Post by bones72 »

Had know idea that there was such a thing in Texas and apparently they are prevalent enough to be a forage species. Read about them on another Texas oriented board and then did some further research. Apparently the most prevalent species is the Ohio/Ohio river shrimp (common name. They are supposed to be clear or clear with a translucent olive or tan tint. They supposedly only get to about 3 or 4 inches at best. There are three other species endemic to Texas some are pretty colorful others are downright scary and get to about 8 inches. I was told and then read that in one are impoundment the shrimp are between 3/4" to 1". Here is my representation based on photos done on a 2X Long, 1X heavy nymph hook. I did another one on a #14 Daiichi swimming nymph hook but it needs to cure before messing with a photo and the wind is blowing like crazy. Does anyone else have experience with these critters?
Add description
Add description
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Freshwater Shrimp

Post by karstopo »

Yes, the mostly clear and transparent freshwater shrimp used to be or maybe still are in the lake I live on. Years ago, they were pretty numerous in the coontail moss that grew in the lake so that scooping up the aquatic grass would yield several. Seems like I’ve come across a river shrimp or two over the years. More prawn than shrimp.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Good looking tie.
I didn't know these existed, either. I had to look them up. Did you see the Australian, long-clawed version? Yikes! No reason to get in the water there, lol.
I'll try a couple of these at Rayburn, and see what the Fisk there think.

Kirk B.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Apparently Lake Somerville has them as does the San Marcos River. We have a version of the Long Claw here that is supposed to be in the Brazos and then there is the Painted River Shrimp that is also here; very colorful with red and white banding and definitely has the prawn look.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

That's a nice looking shimp....
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

The prawns are definitely around. One I caught in the lower San Bernard River grew to ~7 inches in an aquarium. I've also caught them in creeks north of Houston. The little freshwater "ghost" shrimp are everywhere, creeks and lakes, probably every body of water I've ever netted in has them. Years ago I read an article about tearing up the bluegill in Florida by using ghost shrimp as bait.