Foam jig hook streamer

Kayak buddy

Foam jig hook streamer

Post by Kayak buddy »

I used some scarpion flies that Fishchaseflies.com made, but I ran out of them and tied this as a substitute it suspends and jigs well. I also tied it on a straight #6 hook and it works well. It catches panfish and bass. Here's the tying video. Thanks
https://youtu.be/KrfZaOcUTWg[img]https: ... f6ed8f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bones72

Re: Foam jig hook streamer

Post by bones72 »

Pretty interesting fly. Where did you find barred marabou? I've been looking but haven't seen it in the major catalogs lately.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Tip: If you wrap the foam the same direction as your tying thread, it ties off better. The thread isn't trying to unwrap the material.

Kirk B.
Kirk B.

Re: RE: Re: Foam jig hook streamer

Post by Kirk B. »

bones72 wrote:Pretty interesting fly. Where did you find barred marabou? I've been looking but haven't seen it in the major catalogs lately.
Check Jstockard.com. They have barred and "micro-barred".
I bought some from Cabela's and wasn't impressed. The bars were painted on, and rubbed off from handling the feathers. The barred rabbit strips were better. The bars were dyed in the hair.

Kirk B.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

May have to check out Jstockard. When it comes to fly tying material its not where you get it but the manufacturer/processor. Most of the stuff "big box" or even little fly shop sell comes from hairline or spirit river or one of the other major tying suppliers. Sometimes places repackage it under license with their own brand names other times not so much. I'd almost put money on the fact that them bunny zonkers where hairline products.
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Foam jig hook streamer

Post by Kayak buddy »

bones72 wrote:Pretty interesting fly. Where did you find barred marabou? I've been looking but haven't seen it in the major catalogs lately.
I got it at the Orvis Store near my house, it's called barred bloodquill marabou. I like to brush it out with a tooth brush.
This fly is a copy of a fly called the Scarpion. Its tied on a circular Ahrex hook for carp, bass and panfish like the fly but it's harder to hook up fish. The magic of the fly comes with the stop part of the retrieve. The fly flutters to the bottom and gets strikes. You could use regular marabou and change out the ep brush for marabou by palmering it around the head of the hook. I like to fish blue at this creek next to my house, but my first choice for the fly would be yellow, brown or rust. This fly is like a bass jig and has motion when not retrieved. I have a few bass flies that were initially carp flies, like the carps craw for bass, I'm still perfecting it but you dont even need to retrieve it a it looks like a fighting crayfish.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk