set up

Ken S

set up

Post by Ken S »

Well, I picked up some 6 lb leader, figured that with bass and bluegill it wouldn't matter. Mostly to practice with.
I tied a loop in the fly line and made several leaders with the loop to speed things up.
Now I need the weather to cooperate,
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: set up

Post by Ron Mc »

what tippet lets you do is keep that tapered leader long - tying on and fishing a dozen or more flies while taking only an inch off the leader for leader-to-tippet the surgeon's knot.
Kirk B.

Re: RE: set up

Post by Kirk B. »

Ken S wrote:Well, I picked up some 6 lb leader, figured that with bass and bluegill it wouldn't matter. Mostly to practice with.
I tied a loop in the fly line and made several leaders with the loop to speed things up.
Now I need the weather to cooperate,
I usually do the same for bass and bluegill. A 3 wt fly line will turn over about 4 ft of 6# mono. If I need more, I can always tie on a 2 ft piece of 4x or 5x (the smallest I keep) tippet using a double surgeon's knot. Sometimes I need the smaller line for size 14 or 16 flies, although I prefer fishing with size 8 or bigger flies, to keep out the riffraff. Image
The fact that I can't see the eye on those little bitty #&)$($#'s has nothing to do with it.

Kirk B.